Clough new contract

ianm

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with your 1st sentence about no hidden agendas etc in your post but thats it. The telegraph has not put any pressure on Glick or the club. A retired journalist has put a simple, honest opinion and you have jumped on it with the 'somethings wrong in the club and I don't care what anyone tells me' stance and have been ignorant to what other people believe or any other possible reasoning in the single sentence from GM.

A retired journalist has not put an opinion at all he obtained that info and put it in his column. Steve Nicholson has written several columns highlighting the mixed messages handed out and asking why it wasn't sorted in the summer. This was quite strong by Telegraph standards and pressure has been applied on Glick by this and the Mirror story (which like most of these stories has come from an agent) or else why has this happened so quickly since.

It doesn't take a great brain to work out what has occurred here and if you want to believe everything Glick says and everything is rosy in the garden that is up to you.

Did you actually read that article yourself?

A retired journalist has not put an opinion at all he obtained that info and put it in his column. Steve Nicholson has written several columns highlighting the mixed messages handed out and asking why it wasn't sorted in the summer. This was quite strong by Telegraph standards and pressure has been applied on Glick by this and the Mirror story (which like most of these stories has come from an agent) or else why has this happened so quickly since.

It doesn't take a great brain to work out what has occurred here and if you want to believe everything Glick says and everything is rosy in the garden that is up to you.

If GM had obtained info and NC was happy for it to go in the paper then why were there no direct quotes? As another poster has stated GM was stating his opinion not fact. Although his opinion may have been factual you can not state that with any degree of certainty.

I would also very much doubt that any pressure has been put on the board by any outside source. It would not surprise me if negotiations were at an advanced stage prior to this 'story' breaking.

Listen here you,

Gerald Mortimer is paid to write his opinion, that is what his column is. It's his opinion on what happens at the club, his thoughts and past memories etc. Now, what he is not is a direct informant or directly linked to Clough or the club itself. He writes what he thinks. The staff situation was quite true, that to sort out the contract with Clough you'd need to look after his staff, but in no way does that mean that Tom Glick was failing to do that, nor that there were any complications.

YOU have come to that conclusion, and for some reason you fail to see past your own incorrect presumptions. For a start, Clough has no say on what goes in in either Geralds or Steve Nicholsons articles, they write what they think, not articles that they make sure other people are happy with. The reference to Clough's staff is a well known character trait that Nigel has, wheras he makes sure the rest of his staff are sorted out before he signs his own deal. He did this at Burton, more than likely Gerald referred to it as a general remark about how to get Nigel to sign the deal.

Secondly, what makes you think there has been any rush on to sign the deal? Even with how well Tom and Nigel work together, do you not think that given the amount of arrivals this summer you'd give it a few months before handing him another deal? They owe him alot, but lets say we were sitting 23rd of the league and not only been losing most games but playing abysmally. You'd look a fool having handed him another three years only to see a whole new side of his choice be no better than what he first arrived with.

While we all know GSE want to keep Clough here, they're bound to take a step back and just watch the general progress of Clough's signings. There is clear progress, and so the deal has been offered. Caution is the best policy with these things, it's smart to wait atleast a few games before offering another deal.

So yes, you are wrong on this, please accept it and move on. And that is not up for debate, you are wrong. So accept you got the wrong end of the stick, take your head out of your backside and don't presume people aren't smart just because they haven't come to the same conclusion as you.

Oh, and apologise for talking down to others, AND apologise for annoying me so much that I had to come back to reply to you. Boycie is going to take the p1ss again for this.

Listen here you,

Gerald Mortimer is paid to write his opinion, that is what his column is. It's his opinion on what happens at the club, his thoughts and past memories etc. Now, what he is not is a direct informant or directly linked to Clough or the club itself. He writes what he thinks. The staff situation was quite true, that to sort out the contract with Clough you'd need to look after his staff, but in no way does that mean that Tom Glick was failing to do that, nor that there were any complications.

YOU have come to that conclusion, and for some reason you fail to see past your own incorrect presumptions. For a start, Clough has no say on what goes in in either Geralds or Steve Nicholsons articles, they write what they think, not articles that they make sure other people are happy with. The reference to Clough's staff is a well known character trait that Nigel has, wheras he makes sure the rest of his staff are sorted out before he signs his own deal. He did this at Burton, more than likely Gerald referred to it as a general remark about how to get Nigel to sign the deal.

Secondly, what makes you think there has been any rush on to sign the deal? Even with how well Tom and Nigel work together, do you not think that given the amount of arrivals this summer you'd give it a few months before handing him another deal? They owe him alot, but lets say we were sitting 23rd of the league and not only been losing most games but playing abysmally. You'd look a fool having handed him another three years only to see a whole new side of his choice be no better than what he first arrived with.

While we all know GSE want to keep Clough here, they're bound to take a step back and just watch the general progress of Clough's signings. There is clear progress, and so the deal has been offered. Caution is the best policy with these things, it's smart to wait atleast a few games before offering another deal.

So yes, you are wrong on this, please accept it and move on. And that is not up for debate, you are wrong. So accept you got the wrong end of the stick, take your head out of your backside and don't presume people aren't smart just because they haven't come to the same conclusion as you.

Oh, and apologise for talking down to others, AND apologise for annoying me so much that I had to come back to reply to you. Boycie is going to take the p1ss again for this.

If you actually believe any of that then you are extremely green.

I'll go through it again, nothing happening on the contract then the Telegraph gets onto it Gerald Mortimer not with direct quotes but making it clear in his article that he has spoken to Nigel. Then we get the national stories and all of a sudden contract talks start.

If you don't believe there was not something going on that delayed the contracts that is up yo you but I am pretty sure it is you who is wrong. I'll say it yet again don't take to much notice of what Mr Glick says.

PS it was others who started to talk down to me I only retaliated hard, especially the clown who tried to make fun of my English skills, so an apology would be nice.

Pretty decent money? How much had he spent until Shacks arrived? a mil on Barker which was a snip when he is fit and 47p on Brayford? Decent money- I think not

There was me thinking brayford was around 300k, he spent about the same on Moxey but has since got that back but he did spend it and the defence didnt get anybetter. Most teams in the champ havent ever spent 1 million on a defender and I guess Anderson and Roberts dont cost us a penny. When will people realise free transfers arent free. If you put just the money spent on Braford, Barker and Moxey that was quite a lot in championship terms.

I'll go through it again, nothing happening on the contract then the Telegraph gets onto it Gerald Mortimer not with direct quotes but making it clear in his article that he has spoken to Nigel. Then we get the national stories and all of a sudden contract talks start.

If you don't believe there was not something going on that delayed the contracts that is up yo you but I am pretty sure it is you who is wrong. I'll say it yet again don't take to much notice of what Mr Glick says.

PS it was others who started to talk down to me I only retaliated hard, especially the clown who tried to make fun of my English skills, so an apology would be nice.

As I said earlier, if he spoke to NC and he was happy for the article to be printed why were there no direct quotes?

It's not whether you 'believe' the things, it's because it's almost all true. Sure, there's some speculation on my and others parts for a few details not directly linked to what you're suggesting, but have you not noticed that no-one is following what you're putting forward? It's because you're seeing what you either want to see it or you're clinging to the hope that you've seen something that no-one else has. Unfortunately, you're wrong chap, please just face that fact. I am not attempting to insult you just because I think you might be wrong, more to the fact that you need to see why you're wrong and you're insulting others because you fail to see that fact.

If you don't take any notice of what Glick says then how can you hold an opinionated view on these things? That's not the point anyway, but to rule someone out entirely seems a strange thing to do without a very good reason.

The national stories started because Forest happened to lose their manager, I expect those articles might have been mentioned passively between Clough and Glick, but I don't understand what relationship you think Clough and Glick have for a newspaper story to dramatically affect contract talks. It's pretty well known that Forest were never interested, and that's not only coming from the Nottingham journalist referred to on here.

If so on the insults thing, then I apologise to suggest that you started it (not sure I did of course), but if you're going to go looking for things that are not there then you're going to get people call you out. And all i've seen is you arguing with people like G Star Ram and rynny, who I know full well are not people to openly attack someone on here for mere poor judgement.

That'll be me. I would apologise, but I since I pulled you up on it you have improved, so rather than me apologising, you should be thanking me.

Knowing precisely how newspapers work, if this had been such an issue stemming from this little chat Nigel and Gerald had, Gerald would have passed it on to a colleague or the sports desk and they would have made a news story out of it, with quotes and all, along the lines of the dispute you wrongly alleged was afoot. Would have made a decent back page splash and all. But clearly it wasn't such an issue a you would have us believe.

I doubt the Telegraph played any great part in all of this, not that I don't applaud their journalism, but the odd line here and there isn't going to put any extra pressure on Glick.

If I were you, rather than "going through it again" and churning out the same old rubbish, I'd keep my head down, accept I got this wrong and move on.

That though, I fear, is a rather forlorn hope.

2 years with an option for a third if at the end of his fifth season, we have made real progress, I'm not saying we should be in the Premier League just a very good top 8 side, as for the coaching staff they should get the same, all of them. Continuity is important.

Wish I had said this to Smiffy on another thread!

There was me thinking brayford was around 300k, he spent about the same on Moxey but has since got that back but he did spend it and the defence didnt get anybetter. Most teams in the champ havent ever spent 1 million on a defender and I guess Anderson and Roberts dont cost us a penny. When will people realise free transfers arent free. If you put just the money spent on Braford, Barker and Moxey that was quite a lot in championship terms.

It really isn't, and how much is Brayford worth now? I suppose 300k for a keeper is extortionate too?

That'll be me. I would apologise, but I since I pulled you up on it you have improved, so rather than me apologising, you should be thanking me.

Knowing precisely how newspapers work, if this had been such an issue stemming from this little chat Nigel and Gerald had, Gerald would have passed it on to a colleague or the sports desk and they would have made a news story out of it, with quotes and all, along the lines of the dispute you wrongly alleged was afoot. Would have made a decent back page splash and all. But clearly it wasn't such an issue a you would have us believe.

I doubt the Telegraph played any great part in all of this, not that I don't applaud their journalism, but the odd line here and there isn't going to put any extra pressure on Glick.

If I were you, rather than "going through it again" and churning out the same old rubbish, I'd keep my head down, accept I got this wrong and move on.

That though, I fear, is a rather forlorn hope.

Well how come after the Telegraph's gentle pressure and then the National stories, which will have come from agents that's where these stories come from we suddenly have contract talks. In the interview with the clueless Bloomfield Nigel stated talks had just opened. Again this is no coincidence.

All your posts lose all credibility when you said you think Glick is a god bloke. On what basis did you jump to that conclusion.

It's not whether you 'believe' the things, it's because it's almost all true. Sure, there's some speculation on my and others parts for a few details not directly linked to what you're suggesting, but have you not noticed that no-one is following what you're putting forward? It's because you're seeing what you either want to see it or you're clinging to the hope that you've seen something that no-one else has. Unfortunately, you're wrong chap, please just face that fact. I am not attempting to insult you just because I think you might be wrong, more to the fact that you need to see why you're wrong and you're insulting others because you fail to see that fact.

If you don't take any notice of what Glick says then how can you hold an opinionated view on these things? That's not the point anyway, but to rule someone out entirely seems a strange thing to do without a very good reason.

The national stories started because Forest happened to lose their manager, I expect those articles might have been mentioned passively between Clough and Glick, but I don't understand what relationship you think Clough and Glick have for a newspaper story to dramatically affect contract talks. It's pretty well known that Forest were never interested, and that's not only coming from the Nottingham journalist referred to on here.

If so on the insults thing, then I apologise to suggest that you started it (not sure I did of course), but if you're going to go looking for things that are not there then you're going to get people call you out. And all i've seen is you arguing with people like G Star Ram and rynny, who I know full well are not people to openly attack someone on here for mere poor judgement.

Nobody is following what I put forward because all these posters are massive Glick fans and take everything in that he says. Because I expose views consistently to the opposite and will stand strongly to that view makes this forum so much fun.

Anybody who takes what Glick has said over these contract talks is living in a fantasy land.

It really isn't, and how much is Brayford worth now? I suppose 300k for a keeper is extortionate too?

Your missing the point, braford is a good player yes but Clough before this season had spent around 1.5-2 million on the defence, it was still letting lots of goals in from mistakes and poor defending. That amount of money is quite a lot for a championship side, Leicester have since blown all that out of the water but before that it you wouldnt have found many teams spending that amount on the back 4 and still being so poor.

Nobody is following what I put forward because all these posters are massive Glick fans and take everything in that he says. Because I expose views consistently to the opposite and will stand strongly to that view makes this forum so much fun.

Anybody who takes what Glick has said over these contract talks is living in a fantasy land.

rynny is not a massive Glick fan from recollection, having met him in person a few times. G Star has never struck me as a big Glick fan, though he has been more positive than negative on the board, and VulcanRam to my mind has never been one of the names that used to be leaping to sing Glicks praises when I used to be on here.

If you're ruling out everything that Glick says immediately as spin then you're a fool, feel free to be skeptical over certain things but to rule everything he says out is ignorant. To presume that there has been a huge saga about these talks is very strange, there has been no big worry or any dodgy noises coming out of the club.

Mortimer comments on what will be needed for Clough to sign a contract, a throw-away comment in his personal column. Forest sack McClaren, the Mirror writes a nothing story and suddenly you've linked these two things and the fact that these talks have started now to be some big event. There's nothing in it, give it up man. You're wrong, and why i'm still talking to you i'll never know.

Please, do yourself a favour, and just forget about this.

Archived