Clough new contract

ianm

I have no problem with people moaning but it is when they do not actually back there comments up. They just throw one liners in or leave it vague.

In respect of all the threads that have been posted since Clough was here asking him for head, blamining him for apparently falling out with players, being negative, poor tactics, poor signings (although not that many) I am very surprised that these so called doom merchants who have been posting negative comments have not jumped onto the bandwagon with this one.

This is probably the most appropriate thread to place the comments. Just wondering why this has not been the case. In respect of your comment being shot down and needing a tin hat has never bothered anyone in the past why now? Is it because the long term plan is starting to take shape, the development of players starting to take shape, the players he has apparently fallen out with being used again and that they have come out and said Cloughie told them what to work on and left it to them to prove they can do what he wants, the bargain buys which will either get us up or develop into very profitable players which could be used to develop the squad further. For example if we sold Brayford (I DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN BUT IS AN EXAMPLE) for the alledged £3million WBA considering that could buy 3 of Clough million pound players the likes of Shackell and Barker shows what he can spend with a million pounds. Or 6 players in deals like the million pound deal for Brayford and Bailey.

Just found it strange really

I can't really comment for those who want/ed clough out, but I read your post as supporting clough leaving, and i would have understood the reason behind him doing so if did happen.

Just because the club is doing well does not change my view on this, and if at the end of the season we are in the same place, I would put him as a miracle worker, if we finish mid to lower table because of that lack of investment in one or two key areas I would not hold clough responsible for this, but believe he has not been given the tools to show what he can do, or cant.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't really comment for those who want/ed clough out, but I read your post as supporting clough leaving, and i would have understood the reason behind him doing so if did happen.

Just because the club is doing well does not change my view on this, and if at the end of the season we are in the same place, I would put him as a miracle worker, if we finish mid to lower table because of that lack of investment in one or two key areas I would not hold clough responsible for this, but believe he has not been given the tools to show what he can do, or cant.

I am pro-clough and would not support him leaving. What I was questioning is where are all the posters who have been blaming him for everything and wanted him out have gone as this is a thread where u would expect the comments to be appearing. Just to clarify my comment was

""What I am surprised to see on this forum is how many have got into his ribs blaming him for all the woes of DCFC (and I know this is the miniority). But looking at all the threads and comments not many if any have actually posted comments supporting him leaving""

It should have read I suppose - I am surprised that over the last 12 months how many people have posted comments wanting Clough to go have not yet posted on this thread, as this is where you would have expected comments to be posted supporting and encouraging him to leave.

Read the rest of the post as I clearly state give him the 3yrs contract but also give him the financial backing as well as the verbal backing. I stand by Clough as like I have said before some can see the long term plans and constraints he is working with and towards and I do not insist on instant success and I am happy with the work in progress.

I wanted clough to go and I'm still not sure but I think we are better off keeping him now to see the job through. I hevent been a fan due to the negative and pretty boring style of play for most of his time here and his failure to get us solid at the back until this season so far despite spending pretty decent money in championship terms in that area. We are now very an efficient team with everyone working very hard. My preference is a few more flair players but as long as we keep winning then we are all happy

NIGEL CLOUGH will NOT ask for a pay rise in his new three-year deal with Derby.

The Rams boss, on less than £250,000 a year, is one of the bottom five earners in the Championship.

But he said: "This won't be about the length of contract or the terms."

feckin The Sun

Think I can answer that. 'Boo GSE out, why have they given Clough a new contract.'

I will put this straight at no time have I ever said that Nigel would not sign a new deal. I think a few people have tried to shoot me down without reading what I said.

What I started this thread on is that Nigel had not signed a deal despite the board wanting him to from their comments. There must be something going on delaying the process. In his interview with the dismal Bloomfield yesterday he said the contracts were for him and his backroom staff. If this ever comes out in the wash you can take an educated guess that the delay would have something to do with this.

The local paper both Gerald Mortimer and Steve Nicholson have applied a bit of pressure to the board with their columns. Steve has asked why were the contracts not sorted in the summer which was the logical thing ( with Nigel it is not likely the problems were financial) and I think some clever agent work on Nigel's side have hopefully brought this to a head and we get the conclusion most of us want.

My position hasn't really changed. Offer him a new deal, see what he does. I still have reservations when I see bizarre teamsheets and substitutions but equally so, there are little glimpses of brillliance from time to time. We've had some major ups and some major downs. I'm judging this campaign after 46 games, like most other fans, I'm guilty for getting carried away or being overly critical on a game-to-game basis. However, I stand by giving a manager the full term to evidence his worth. I like to think the green shoots of recovery are finally showing.

I will put this straight at no time have I ever said that Nigel would not sign a new deal. I think a few people have tried to shoot me down without reading what I said.

What I started this thread on is that Nigel had not signed a deal despite the board wanting him to from their comments. There must be something going on delaying the process. In his interview with the dismal Bloomfield yesterday he said the contracts were for him and his backroom staff. If this ever comes out in the wash you can take an educated guess that the delay would have something to do with this.

The local paper both Gerald Mortimer and Steve Nicholson have applied a bit of pressure to the board with their columns. Steve has asked why were the contracts not sorted in the summer which was the logical thing ( with Nigel it is not likely the problems were financial) and I think some clever agent work on Nigel's side have hopefully brought this to a head and we get the conclusion most of us want.

You quite clearly stated that it was obvious that there was an ongoing dispute yet Nigel says he does not see any problems and that the contracts should be signed soon.

In future I would suggest it wiser to wait to hear from the horses mouth rather than taking wild speculation and professing it as truth and then getting abusive when others question your comments.

You quite clearly stated that it was obvious that there was an ongoing dispute yet Nigel says he does not see any problems and that the contracts should be signed soon.

In future I would suggest it wiser to wait to hear from the horses mouth rather than taking wild speculation and professing it as truth and then getting abusive when others question your comments.

Yes because as he says the contracts are for him and the backroom staff, from what Gerald Mortimer hinted in his column that was the issue. Whether it was disagreement, dispute, mis-interpretation whatever a hold up seems certain. There was no wild speculation just points on what might happen if this was not sorted.

The abuse came when certain posters came on trying to pull apart my posts without properly reading the point I was making, a common thing on this forum. I will say yet again Gerald Mortimer would not have put what he did in his column without knowing it to be true and Nigel Clough being happy for him to write it.

I thank him and Steve Nicholson in their role in gently putting some pressure on allied to however the story got in the Mirror, likely from an agent and us looking likely to have got us what the vast majority want. As Gerald said the alternative is unthinkable.

You said there was an obvious dispute because GM put, at the very end of his article, look after his staff and clough will negotiate. I simply put it to you that meant something else and you didn't like it. If the whole of his piece had been on the subject of Clough's, and his staff's, contracts then a few people might have agreed with you, including me, but it wasn't, they weren't and I didn't.

As for taking your post apart that is what generally happens when people have different views, they will disagree with you and tell you why they think you were wrong. Maybe if you responded in a similar way instead saying that they are talking crap et al you might enjoy the debate?

You said there was an obvious dispute because GM put, at the very end of his article, look after his staff and clough will negotiate. I simply put it to you that meant something else and you didn't like it. If the whole of his piece had been on the subject of Clough's, and his staff's, contracts then a few people might have agreed with you, including me, but it wasn't, they weren't and I didn't.

As for taking your post apart that is what generally happens when people have different views, they will disagree with you and tell you why they think you were wrong. Maybe if you responded in a similar way instead saying that they are talking crap et al you might enjoy the debate?

In none of my posts are there any hidden meanings, agendas or attempts to mislead. Dispute may have been the wrong word in what I was trying to say in getting the point over but I am not a master of English. We were all in the dark over the contract issue in that we get he's our man for the job statements and no contract is on the table.

Many felt the board were taking a wait and see approach and see if we improved. Sensible in a way but a dangerous game if another club comes along and puts a contract on the table, so if he was the man they really want not too clever. As Nigel stayed at Burton 10 years and it has been reported many times his salary is at the low end of the scale then finance was not likely to be the issue.

What the telegraph have done is cleverly highlight where the problem or delay is and bring it to our attention, things then moved swiftly and Glick has had to respond and get it sorted. Hopefully now things will be quickly finalised and we can move on but I applaud what the Telegraph have done in the last couple of weeks because I strongly believe Local Media acting like this can achieve a lot of good for the fans, a lot of people me included have in past issues felt they have been scared of upsetting the club.

I wanted clough to go and I'm still not sure but I think we are better off keeping him now to see the job through. I hevent been a fan due to the negative and pretty boring style of play for most of his time here and his failure to get us solid at the back until this season so far despite spending pretty decent money in championship terms in that area. We are now very an efficient team with everyone working very hard. My preference is a few more flair players but as long as we keep winning then we are all happy

Pretty decent money? How much had he spent until Shacks arrived? a mil on Barker which was a snip when he is fit and 47p on Brayford? Decent money- I think not

In none of my posts are there any hidden meanings, agendas or attempts to mislead. Dispute may have been the wrong word in what I was trying to say in getting the point over but I am not a master of English. We were all in the dark over the contract issue in that we get he's our man for the job statements and no contract is on the table.

Many felt the board were taking a wait and see approach and see if we improved. Sensible in a way but a dangerous game if another club comes along and puts a contract on the table, so if he was the man they really want not too clever. As Nigel stayed at Burton 10 years and it has been reported many times his salary is at the low end of the scale then finance was not likely to be the issue.

What the telegraph have done is cleverly highlight where the problem or delay is and bring it to our attention, things then moved swiftly and Glick has had to respond and get it sorted. Hopefully now things will be quickly finalised and we can move on but I applaud what the Telegraph have done in the last couple of weeks because I strongly believe Local Media acting like this can achieve a lot of good for the fans, a lot of people me included have in past issues felt they have been scared of upsetting the club.

I agree with your 1st sentence about no hidden agendas etc in your post but thats it. The telegraph has not put any pressure on Glick or the club. A retired journalist has put a simple, honest opinion and you have jumped on it with the 'somethings wrong in the club and I don't care what anyone tells me' stance and have been ignorant to what other people believe or any other possible reasoning in the single sentence from GM.

The next three games are key to seeing where our season is likely to end up. So far we have got results against bottom half teams, and have only played 2 games against top 8 teams, both away and won one lost one.

If we take 2 points from the boro and Southampton that will be four games against top 8 teams with a record of won one lost one drawn 2 with 3 of those games being away from home. That sort of form against the better teams would indicate a possible top 3 finish

Archived