Clough new contract

ianm

Broken record anyone? Is this article available online, if so link us.

You've obviously made your mind up, the rest of us all think you're overreacting, this circular discussion is now boring, but I would like to humour you by reading the article.

It's not online but I have a copy here. The bit Ianm refers to is in the ;last two paragraphs at the very bottom of the page. Most of the opinion piece refers to Gerald talking about contracts in general. He pontificates about the good start pehaps making the owners think we don't need to strengthen, talks about Clough wanting an experienced midfielder, of bringing the wage bill down and how no-one wants Bywater et al.

The last two pars, preceded by commenting that after the Leicester defeat it is clear that Derby need more depth state: "At the same time, the owners allowed Clough's contract to become an issue. The solution is very simple.

"Look after his staff and Clough will negotiate. The alternative is is frightening to contemplate - remote American owners trying to select a new manager."

There you go.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not online but I have a copy here. The bit Ianm refers to is in the ;last two paragraphs at the very bottom of the page. Most of the opinion piece refers to Gerald talking about contracts in general. He pontificates about the good start pehaps making the owners think we don't need to strengthen, talks about Clough wanting an experienced midfielder, of bringing the wage bill down and how no-one wants Bywater et al.

The last two pars, preceded by commenting that after the Leicester defeat it is clear that Derby need more depth state: "At the same time, the owners allowed Clough's contract to become an issue. The solution is very simple.

"Look after his staff and Clough will negotiate. The alternative is is frightening to contemplate - remote American owners trying to select a new manager."

There you go.

Thank you Vulcan, well that is clear, clear as mud. Reading that personally I think GM is giving his opinion on the situation from how well he knows Clough, he is not trying to make out there anything out of the ordinary, just that maybe GSE and Glick need to approach the negotiations differently, as most boards would look to sort the manager 1st then thew backroom staff but in our situation, it is vice versa.

Thank you Vulcan, well that is clear, clear as mud. Reading that personally I think GM is giving his opinion on the situation from how well he knows Clough, he is not trying to make out there anything out of the ordinary, just that maybe GSE and Glick need to approach the negotiations differently, as most boards would look to sort the manager 1st then thew backroom staff but in our situation, it is vice versa.

Sorry to be so blunt here but you are talking crap. There is a problem that's why no contract has yet been signed and Mr Mortimer has found out and gently pointed out where the issue lies.

Again Mr Mortimer would not have put this into print without Nigel's approval.

Since when have journalists had to go to a subject for approval before printing a story about them? Do you think the Mirror approached Nigel when they ran the backpage story on Saturday?

He hasn't yet signed a contract. By all accounts, one hasn't even been offered yet. All the indications are that the Board want to sign Nigel up and that Nigel wants to stay. Nothing to see here, move along.

Alternatively, just blame Bloomfield again

Sorry to be so blunt here but you are talking crap. There is a problem that's why no contract has yet been signed and Mr Mortimer has found out and gently pointed out where the issue lies.

Again Mr Mortimer would not have put this into print without Nigel's approval.

You have your opinion and I have mine. The difference is I respect others opinions and you don't. I can see how you can come to your opinion, and that is all it is, not fact, not 100% correct, just opinion, where as you are so hell bent on there being a problem you don't want to admit that there actually might not be and you don't want to see anything but!!

Since when have journalists had to go to a subject for approval before printing a story about them? Do you think the Mirror approached Nigel when they ran the backpage story on Saturday?

He hasn't yet signed a contract. By all accounts, one hasn't even been offered yet. All the indications are that the Board want to sign Nigel up and that Nigel wants to stay. Nothing to see here, move along.

Alternatively, just blame Bloomfield again

Again you are missing the point. This guy is a retired local journalist and not a tabloid hack and he would not be looking to upset Nigel Clough or write something that would embarrass him. In the article he states he spoke to NIgel.

What indications are there that Nigel wants to stay unless he gets what he wants, unless this happens my opinion is he will walk away.

Mr Mortimer has highlighted the problem and brought it to our attention and don't tell me you are a Bloomfield fan he's pants.

Standard doom/panic mongering here. If there's nothing to worry about - create something!

He's probably going to sign a new contract - everything points to it, apart from the fact he hasn't actually put pen to paper yet, which could be for a variety of reasons - contract being checked by legal team, staff being away, or just now not being the right time. For all we know he might have signed it - does it have to be revealed straight away?

It's amazing how much things have changed from even just 5 or 6 months ago - we're now talking about how bad it would be to let him go. Remember Portsmouth away, anyone?

Personally I've been behind him the whole time as my posts reflect, just really interesting to see the shift.

I think like any Manager in any business, once you have steadied a sinking ship and then are seeing things improve, you are then unlikely to walk in to a similar situation unless the opportunity is far better. I don't think anyone would see Forest as being in a better position, on or off the pitch, than Derby at present.

Forest aren't going to throw silly money at this as I believe the important factor that people are missing is that Stevie decided not to take compensation from Forest, it had to be his decision to walk, when he wanted to, and not the other way round.

The chances of Clough going to Forest are slim, the bookies have it about right as about a 1 in 12 chance, Forest need a new Manager and Derby could just hold out saying he is under contract if they wish, Forest would then be forced to look elswhere. Why paper speculation fails to see this point I will never know, let them write whatever stories they want but I would suggest that the likely outcome, as I've suggested before, is that Clough will sign a 4 or 5 year deal at Christmas.

Standard doom/panic mongering here. If there's nothing to worry about - create something!

He's probably going to sign a new contract - everything points to it, apart from the fact he hasn't actually put pen to paper yet, which could be for a variety of reasons - contract being checked by legal team, staff being away, or just now not being the right time. For all we know he might have signed it - does it have to be revealed straight away?

It's amazing how much things have changed from even just 5 or 6 months ago - we're now talking about how bad it would be to let him go. Remember Portsmouth away, anyone?

Personally I've been behind him the whole time as my posts reflect, just really interesting to see the shift.

There is no panic mongering at all. He has not signed a contract and yet Glick is adamant he's the man. Apparently then there is no reason why they can't do a deal and get it signed. Not everything points to him signing at all as if everything was as clear as you think he would have signed by now.

Now we have an inkling why nothing is signed, from an ex-journalist who can be 100% trusted has given us a little snapshot of difference and it is how deep these divisions are as to whether a deal is likely to be done.

I think like any Manager in any business, once you have steadied a sinking ship and then are seeing things improve, you are then unlikely to walk in to a similar situation unless the opportunity is far better. I don't think anyone would see Forest as being in a better position, on or off the pitch, than Derby at present.

Forest aren't going to throw silly money at this as I believe the important factor that people are missing is that Stevie decided not to take compensation from Forest, it had to be his decision to walk, when he wanted to, and not the other way round.

The chances of Clough going to Forest are slim, the bookies have it about right as about a 1 in 12 chance, Forest need a new Manager and Derby could just hold out saying he is under contract if they wish, Forest would then be forced to look elswhere. Why paper speculation fails to see this point I will never know, let them write whatever stories they want but I would suggest that the likely outcome, as I've suggested before, is that Clough will sign a 4 or 5 year deal at Christmas.

If he wanted to go he could walk away today. Forest is as you say not a good fit for him unless the past ties are too strong to say no to. At the end of it it is how far away is he from Glick in what he wants from the next contract.

There is no panic mongering at all. He has not signed a contract and yet Glick is adamant he's the man. Apparently then there is no reason why they can't do a deal and get it signed. Not everything points to him signing at all as if everything was as clear as you think he would have signed by now.

Now we have an inkling why nothing is signed, from an ex-journalist who can be 100% trusted has given us a little snapshot of difference and it is how deep these divisions are as to whether a deal is likely to be done.

How do you know there's no reason? Do you work for the club?

No one has a clue why. So let's not pretend we do.

Oh but GM has put something that could mean anything and nothing and ianm's conclusion is the only possible outcome

Fed up of it. 3rd in the league - can't moan about that. Manager's doing well - can't moan about that. So because a contract hasn't been shoved under his nose, let's moan about that.

If I wanted to hear this much moaning I'd have gone to see me Mum at the weekend!

(Worthington has resigned as Northern Ireland manager - forest bound?)

Of course there is a reason why a contact is not yet signed and a very credible source is telling us why.

Oh but GM has put something that could mean anything and nothing and ianm's conclusion is the only possible outcome

If you can't post anything that displays you to have the brains of the average pork pie I would do something else.

Why did Mr Mortimer put what he did in his column for fun or to create trouble, or does he not know what he is writing about. I have not posted anything about the likely outcome, just what the issue is.

If you can't post anything that displays you to have the brains of the average pork pie I would do something else.

Why did Mr Mortimer put what he did in his column for fun or to create trouble, or does he not know what he is writing about. I have not posted anything about the likely outcome, just what the issue is.

No need to get personal mate. The difference is we post our opinion, you post things as fact and can't handle it when anyone ever questions them.

Ianm is right about everything. Just close the thread down.

Normal for you, when the debate gets too difficult just pour scorn.

I have followed this club for so long to expect anything and past experience tells me that there is a lot more to this new contract than Mr Glick is letting on. What Mr Mortimer a guy who has impeccable credentials has found is certainly something the main local media should be examining and digging for more info for the fans.

Archived