Home Kit Colour Change

Stive Pesley

Was just thinking yesterday (during the boredom of the international break) how we sing about being a “black & white army” in several songs.

Now when I was a kid and started following the Rams in the late 70’s – we had a blue & white kit.

According to the historical kits site

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Derby_County/Derby_County.htm

this started in April 1971 and lasted nearly 20 years (through to the 1989/90 when black & white returned)

I can’t believe that we could change home kit colour these days without an enormous uproar – but does anyone on here remember the reaction to the change back then - or even why it changed? April seems an odd time to change kit too..

To be honest I can’t even remember much fuss being made when we reverted to black & white in 1989, but then it was during my student years so I was probably p1ssed at the time..

Given that we won both our league titles in blue & white – who here would be up for a change?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was just thinking yesterday (during the boredom of the international break) how we sing about being a “black & white army” in several songs.

Now when I was a kid and started following the Rams in the late 70’s – we had a blue & white kit.

this started in April 1971 and lasted nearly 20 years (through to the 1989/90 when black & white returned)

I can’t believe that we could change home kit colour these days without an enormous uproar – but does anyone on here remember the reaction to the change back then - or even why it changed? April seems an odd time to change kit too..

To be honest I can’t even remember much fuss being made when we reverted to black & white in 1989, but then it was during my student years so I was probably p1ssed at the time..

Given that we won both our league titles in blue & white – who here would be up for a change?

I'd love it if we started wearing white and navy! I'm part of the Pride Park generation, and when my dad shows me pictures and videos of Derby in the seventies, it's hard to relate to it. The badge, kit colour and ground are all different.

White shirts, navy shorts and red numbers please.

Of course, it will never happen. The club's spent way too much money merchandising and over-egging the whole "black and white" thing.

I wasn't around in the navy era - it'd be quite nice to have it back.

I'd bloody love a kit with no sponsor. If I, one day, get rich (which I won't by paying 25 p*ssing quid for a membership to ensure I get my forest ticket), I'll pay to sponsor the club and not put my company name on the shirt. I bet you'd get as much publicity locally for not brandishing your name about. Get a page in the program, sponsor a stand, advertise on the website - just not on the shirt. The worst was when we sponsored by Marstons and had red on our shirt, what's that all about?!

I remember we played a couple of games (one away at Blackburn, I think) in the golden away shirt - 97/98 I think, before it had Puma in the middle. Looked lovely.

I'd also like to see us have away colours - like West Brom's traditional yellow and green. Maybe yellow/blue/yellow for us? Or all black.

I also started watching in the 70s when we played in blue and white. To me that is our proper kit. All my replica kits were blue and white so I even learned to play football in those colours - despite going to school in Liecestershire and getting grief from foxes fans.

For me I would love us to change back to blue and white. I'd also like to see the Ram released from polo mint of shame.

...and proper red numbers of course

It was blue and white when I started following the Rams 'bout 1984. It lasted what, about 15 years in our 126 year history?

Black and white are are traditional colours - and you can't change what you are!

Its like running out to the Dambusters init!

:cool:

Yeah, god forbid that we should ever see a repeat of the changes that happened in 1971:D

Strange - I never think of Derby as playing in Black and White - probably cos the shirt is 99% white.

When the commentators refer to a "black and whote" shirt I think of a stripy affair a la Newcastle...

What happened to Black socks? Why did we used to wear them sometimes?

Graham Richards always used to say that the rams looked more "menacing in black stockings"...:eek:

Great post, I'd completely forgotten it was (relatively) recently we changed back. We must be about the same age GreenRam cos I was away being a student at the time and with no internet/mobiles etc in those days, and not enough cash to come to Derby for many games, you were totally isolated from any news/campaigns when the change back came.

Can anyone throw any more light on what it was like when the change came - was there a lot of resistance and why did we do after nearly 20 years anyway?

Archived