Favourite Quotes/Texts

Alex W

Well, not entirely quotes. Favourite poems, quotes, phrases etc. Anything you want really, aslong as you're not going to copy and paste your favourite chapter from something.

So! Fire away. I may well end up posting one a day myself as a scandalous way to bump the thread. Besides, one quote a day is good for you! (Or so they say).

After watching Equilibrium the other night, this little piece from Yeates has been stuck in my head. Mainly the last three lines:

"Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,

Enwrought with golden and silver light,

The blue and the dim and the dark cloths

Of night and light and the half-light,

I would spread the cloths under your feet:

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;

I have spread my dreams under your feet,

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past."

— George Orwell (1984)

"Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout with some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand."

— George Orwell

"Beautiful thing, the destruction of words. "

— George Orwell

"Until they became conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious."

— George Orwell (1984)

Do I like George Orwell?

Surprise sometimes, will come around, surprise sometimes, will come around, I will surprise you sometime, I'll come around, I will surprise you sometime, I'll come around, when you're down. - Paul Banks, Interpol.

I am not the type to faint, when things are odd or things are quaint, but seeing things you know that ain't, can certainly give you an awful fright! - Pink Elephants on Parade, Dumbo.

"I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened?

But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why."

Samwise Gamgee - LOTR The Two Towers.

Archived