Transfers fallen off cliff

JG400

Poor old Bryson - 20 mins on the pitch and hes written off already

I dont think I wrote him off, im quite looking forward to seeing him in action. He never moved to the big two up there and hasnt really played for scotland, the point really is pearson had a lot more pedigree when he joined so why do we think Bryson is going to be better? Its a fair question.

I guess we could just say he cant be any worse

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont think I wrote him off, im quite looking forward to seeing him in action. He never moved to the big two up there and hasnt really played for scotland, the point really is pearson had a lot more pedigree when he joined so why do we think Bryson is going to be better? Its a fair question.

I guess we could just say he cant be any worse

I reckon the order will go something like this..

Miller > Maguire > Pearson > Bryson > Porter > Bob Malcolm

Our signings from Scotland have been top notch.

I would be fairly confident in saying that the team against Brum will definitely not feature 4 completely new faces - i would be surprised if we had that many by the time the window closed although I expect 2 or 3.

So we have signed 4 new faces so far and in theory we will sign 3 more , I don't think that I was being over optimistic at 4 being present in the first team against Birmingham and therefore the fact that theres a chance we won't see 4 is disappointing to me

Over the last couple of weeks my completely unjustified optimism created by a steady flurry of transfers, has gone, for two reasons really;

1. The pretty insipid performances in friendlies (I know they don't mean anything but I see no grand plan behind them just a set of non descript performances by a seemingly randomly selected team)

2. The Transfer activity has fallen off a cliff, what worries me is that we are not seeing any 'solid rumours' the like of which we were getting prior to the signings of Shacknell, Bryson etc, that to me suggests not much is happening

My fear is that we are going to limp into the start of the season with a set of former Loanees, Injured and untested signings and the potential for a team sheet against Birmingham that doesn't look greatly different from the one that finished at the end of last season

I'm sorry if this comes out rude...but how much are you in to football?

Friendlies aren't about winning games or even playing well. What we do in those games won't make any sense to anyone but the management and the players. Performances are irrelevant. Newcastle lost 8-1 to Leyton Orient in the pre-season before they won this league, and Hughton said they had a cracking pre-season. The only teams that take these sort of games seriously are the smaller teams we play against...

Your second point is beginning to look pretty valid, but newspaper speculation is not the be all and end all. Let's be patient and give them a bit longer, but if things stay as they are then Clough and Glick will not have delivered. But let's not criticise them for something they haven't fully done yet...

During pre-season, results and performances don't bother me the slightest. My main concern is getting the players fully fit and prepared for the season and not limping into the first game with tired and unfit players.

We've had bad luck with injuries over the past couple of seasons, so I want the staff to make sure the players can actually last a full season for once

Over the last couple of weeks my completely unjustified optimism created by a steady flurry of transfers, has gone, for two reasons really;

1. The pretty insipid performances in friendlies (I know they don't mean anything but I see no grand plan behind them just a set of non descript performances by a seemingly randomly selected team)

2. The Transfer activity has fallen off a cliff, what worries me is that we are not seeing any 'solid rumours' the like of which we were getting prior to the signings of Shacknell, Bryson etc, that to me suggests not much is happening

My fear is that we are going to limp into the start of the season with a set of former Loanees, Injured and untested signings and the potential for a team sheet against Birmingham that doesn't look greatly different from the one that finished at the end of last season

Well I think Glick said expect 6 to 8 new players on top of the 3 former loanees. Weve had 5 new players and one of those is a reserve keeper which certainly was not top of the wanted list.

I also think that whether it was 6 or 8 new players would depend on outgoings. We have sold Varney for more than was expected, and loaned out Addison. Although I expect more departures (Bywater , Leacock etc) I dont expect much of a fee if any for these.

With only 2 weeks of start of season, if no more players come in , how many people wil be asking for the refund? Players coming in certainly look less than was promised. Having said that I am happy enough with players who have come in except that they are not enough of them.

During pre-season, results and performances don't bother me the slightest. My main concern is getting the players fully fit and prepared for the season and not limping into the first game with tired and unfit players.

We've had bad luck with injuries over the past couple of seasons, so I want the staff to make sure the players can actually last a full season for once

I regards to the injuries...

.... well, we've not started off great this month.:(

I regards to the injuries...

.... well, we've not started off great this month.:(

I know but hopefully they are only short term injuries, and it's good if the players that tend to get injured for lengthy periods have a good pre-season getting full fitness, its one of the reasons Addison has gone out on loan, so he can regain full match fitness without disrupting our goals for promotion just to try and accomodate him in the team to get him 100%

So we have signed 4 new faces so far and in theory we will sign 3 more , I don't think that I was being over optimistic at 4 being present in the first team against Birmingham and therefore the fact that theres a chance we won't see 4 is disappointing to me

Your arguments will carry more weight if you don't say things like "the lack of speculation is worrying".

I am feeling a bit stunned to lack of movement, we started so strong but in my opinion that is all it was, a start. A few injuries have really hindered us and it is only pre season, you would hope alarm bells would be ringing. I know you can plug gaps with loan players but I hoped we wouldn't go down that route, I highly doubt we will bring anyone in before Birmingham, that is a worry but this is obviously speculation on its own, although the thought of Ben Davies and Connor Doyle starting defensive midfield against Birmingham makes heart sink a little.

I can't see anyone coming in before Birmingham, but wouldn't surprise me if a couple came in before the end of August when teams get a better idea of what they've got

I could say from now

full back covers are a necessity, you cannot expect Roberts and Brayford to play 46 games, at 90 minutes+ each game although Brayford managed it last season, it is unreasonable to have that pressure on you.

Defensive midfield cover(s) are needed, one permanent and one on loan, even if it is just 6 months.. there is definitely a need for that position.

and finally a striker at least, someone who can play as a cf and again I am not fussed if it is on loan or not, but we need someone there.

apart from that I would be happy, but certainly 4 positions we need to strengthen before the season starts, we're already licking our wounds due to injuries.

I was talking to someone at the club tonight at Crewe and two thing were of interest:

1) We're still after Eustace, and he is very interested in coming, but clubs can't agree a fee.

2) It may be a case of shifting out someone before we make another signing.

I hope you are right Vulcan as we seem to be crying out for an experienced DM alongside Bailey. Nigel alluded that Hendrick was close but he is still out in Rumania with the U19s and that he was nervous he was too young. Bloomfield said on twitter that the hold up on Eustace was personal terms, which implied a fee had been agreed, so either Bloomfield or the talk at Crewe was wrong.

As for your second point that would be typical wouldn't it. Glick quoting judge us by our actions, but they won't shell out until they can move the deadwood, which really is simply more of the same old....

Anyone else read the title and think that Cliffy had entered this forum with some of his 'inside knowledge transfer rumours'?!? :eek:

cliffy was a fictitious character.....

Archived