Transfers fallen off cliff

JG400

Over the last couple of weeks my completely unjustified optimism created by a steady flurry of transfers, has gone, for two reasons really;

1. The pretty insipid performances in friendlies (I know they don't mean anything but I see no grand plan behind them just a set of non descript performances by a seemingly randomly selected team)

2. The Transfer activity has fallen off a cliff, what worries me is that we are not seeing any 'solid rumours' the like of which we were getting prior to the signings of Shacknell, Bryson etc, that to me suggests not much is happening

My fear is that we are going to limp into the start of the season with a set of former Loanees, Injured and untested signings and the potential for a team sheet against Birmingham that doesn't look greatly different from the one that finished at the end of last season

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Over the last couple of weeks my completely unjustified optimism created by a steady flurry of transfers, has gone, for two reasons really;

1. The pretty insipid performances in friendlies (I know they don't mean anything but I see no grand plan behind them just a set of non descript performances by a seemingly randomly selected team)

2. The Transfer activity has fallen off a cliff, what worries me is that we are not seeing any 'solid rumours' the like of which we were getting prior to the signings of Shacknell, Bryson etc, that to me suggests not much is happening

My fear is that we are going to limp into the start of the season with a set of former Loanees, Injured and untested signings and the potential for a team sheet against Birmingham that doesn't look greatly different from the one that finished at the end of last season

Boooooooooo board out, Clough out!

In all fairness NC said at the end of last season that they intended to act quickly to get a number of targets in but other targets would go to the wire as they were under contract with other clubs and we would need to be patient and use the full window.

It is patently obvious who our targets are and they have been very open with regards to the positions we still need to fill. They have been fairly true to there word.

As for the performances in friendlies, they have been mixing it up and trying different player combinations and different players in different positions. They have been a little hampered by injuries but you will probably see the guts of a stable team crystalising over the next 2 weeks.

One caveat to this is that I hope we learnt our lesson from the beginning of last season. I was clear to everyone that the CF postion was a problem once Hulse had gone and we did not do enough to address that issue and it hurt us. Hopefully they will follow through on there promises - dont panic just yet!

My weak optimism has completely gone for some reasons too.

- Tyson is **** as expected... GOOD striker still needed

- Roberts is still our first choice left-back

- Pearson is a first eleven player

- Brayford will be centre-back for the first 2 months of the season

- Croft is a right-back cover

- a ****** lot of injuries to best players

Were at the stage now as the Transfer Window is now open, so naturally fans won't get to her official rumours as Glick and co will want to keep deals as quiet as possible.

I still expect us to sign at least 2 more players mind.

I hope so.

I’m happy enough with most of the signing so far. I’m not sure about Tyson but willing to give him a chance. I’m not sure about Theo, but given he’s a cheaper version of Pearson then we might soon see the back of Mr Scotland.

However, I’m not confident we’ll achieve Tom Glick’s goal of pushing for the top six this season. The reason is the same reason that’s already been identied by the manager. We are short a decent striker, a decent partner for Bailey, and better cover for our full backs.

The main (and only) question for me is what the feck is going on and why are these key poitions not filled yet?

Many on this forum seem to believe that the board have provided NC with adequate funds this transfer window and so this is down to mangerial incompetence.

However, I don’t think there’s been any new money invested in the team this window so far. Given the history of cost cutting over the past few years it seems more plausible that the funds Nigel has for the three key positions is just not enough to get the Waghorns of this world. The longer this goes on the more I think Nigel is looking at what he can afford and calculating he can better quality in the loan market.

Unless the situation changes over the next few weeks (or unless Nigel gets lucky with his loans) then we might well struggle again next season. No doubt Nigel will get the blame from the fans – after all he got plenty of money this year they’ll say.

Every team's fans can debate their summer signings, or lack of, but if you are seriously concerned about how we play in pre-season friendlies then its time to give up.

Every year the friendlies prove that they have no correlation whatsoever to how the season pans out.

Chill out and enjoy the rest of the close season before the real moaning begins:D

Didn't Nige state the other week that further incomings will depend on the outgoings??? Makes sense as what's the point in reducing the wage bill only to top it back up when you bring in 8-10 signings and not balance it out with clearing away the dead wood. Bywater, Leacock & Croft will probably be on a combined total of £20-£25k a week which equates to £1040000m-£1.3m a year so Glick may have said we need to shift them on before he releases the funds for credible bids???

I think given the friendlies so far and the obvious 2/3 players we need in obvious positions, these concerns are valid.

Plus, looking at some of the other signings in the division my expected outcome for Derby does seem tobe worsening by the day.

Still, all that said its at least better than this time last season!

So much for the proven Championship players, apart from Ward and Fielding we've signed Shackell who could be described as that. We havent signed anyone im genuinely excited about, someone im really looking forward to see play, someone who looks to be an improvement on what we had last season. Bryson and Maguire could be anything, lets hope Clough has called it spot on.

Boooooooooo board out, Clough out!

Getting a bit tired of this joke

"Forum - A place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged"

Did I say clough out , Board out

As I said the early signings gave me some optimism for the season ahead, however , a combination of lacklustre friendlies and the Transfer action having dried up (including rumours and knocked back bids and blagging and all that goes along with the transfer process), I have lost this early optimisim (however I don't need a knife thanks)

I for one will be disappointed if the team out against Birmingham does not include 4 completely new faces in the first 11 and I will be gutted if Pearson is anywhere near Pride Park

@Vernak Yep you are probably right , we perhaps should expect to see some exits before more incoming , with the exception of Leacock rumours , the lack of other speculation around Pearson , Byewater etc is worrying

"Forum - A place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged"

As I said the early signings gave me some optimism for the season ahead, however , a combination of lacklustre friendlies and the Transfer action having dried up (including rumours and knocked back bids and blagging and all that goes along with the transfer process), I have lost this early optimisim (however I don't need a knife thanks)

I for one will be disappointed if the team out against Birmingham does not include 4 completely new faces in the first 11 and I will be gutted if Pearson is anywhere near Pride Park

@Vernak Yep you are probably right , we perhaps should expect to see some exits before more incoming , with the exception of Leacock rumours , the lack of other speculation around Pearson , Byewater etc is worrying

I just dont think that the players we have brought in are better than the ones we had before, why is Bryson better than pearson, Pearson at least got to one of the big clubs in scotland and had played manay times for scotland, are maguire, robinson and Ward better than Hulse, Commons, Porter and Burno? I dont really think so yet and on paper which gladly football isnt played on they arent. Fielding had a good short spell but im still to be concinced that he is any better than Bywater who was also an Ex England U21 keeper who had played in 2 promotion sides and was runner up in out player of the year just the season before last. Is Shacknall a much more talented centre half than Leacock?

I am like many and just really glad we are changing it up a bit but im really worried we havent actually changed the level of player we had before.

The need for outgoings is likely, and not imminent, may well stretch on to the end of the window in August. The Eustace and Waghorn rumours seem to have died. There are likely to be a few others in the pipeline, but the injuries are key as well.

Think we are tending to look at things with mud tinted glasses at the moment.

The injuries to Bryson and Bailey as well as Shackell have made us look a very average outfit so far. There has been less of the flowing football than we played last season and we have not filled the gaping hole left by Savage in terms of a midfield general with experience. Bryson and Bailey returning to the side along with Hendrick returing from the U19 footie tournement and we might start to see things differently as the side ought to start to get some more effective passing going and get our game together a bit.

Board out, Clough out.

Board out, Clough out. That's intelligent posting.

Just watched last part of Fester on T.V in Austria. Lovely place and played a good match against Valencia, they play R Madrid next. Anyone know why we've chosen to play Eastwood/Morecombe/Macc's etc...? Think we have Villa lined up, anyone else half decent?

I just dont think that the players we have brought in are better than the ones we had before, why is Bryson better than pearson, Pearson at least got to one of the big clubs in scotland and had played manay times for scotland, are maguire, robinson and Ward better than Hulse, Commons, Porter and Burno? I dont really think so yet and on paper which gladly football isnt played on they arent. Fielding had a good short spell but im still to be concinced that he is any better than Bywater who was also an Ex England U21 keeper who had played in 2 promotion sides and was runner up in out player of the year just the season before last. Is Shacknall a much more talented centre half than Leacock?

I am like many and just really glad we are changing it up a bit but im really worried we havent actually changed the level of player we had before.

Poor old Bryson - 20 mins on the pitch and hes written off already

The need for outgoings is likely, and not imminent, may well stretch on to the end of the window in August. The Eustace and Waghorn rumours seem to have died. There are likely to be a few others in the pipeline, but the injuries are key as well.

Think we are tending to look at things with mud tinted glasses at the moment.

The injuries to Bryson and Bailey as well as Shackell have made us look a very average outfit so far. There has been less of the flowing football than we played last season and we have not filled the gaping hole left by Savage in terms of a midfield general with experience. Bryson and Bailey returning to the side along with Hendrick returing from the U19 footie tournement and we might start to see things differently as the side ought to start to get some more effective passing going and get our game together a bit.

Clough stated publicly last week that we were still in the hunt for Eustace - far from dead.

It sounds to me that you would be easily pacified if the usual red-top rags published a few unfounded, made-up stories. Just because we dont hear doesnt mean there is nothing happening.

I would be fairly confident in saying that the team against Brum will definitely not feature 4 completely new faces - i would be surprised if we had that many by the time the window closed although I expect 2 or 3.

Archived