can derby push for automatic promotion next season

B4ev6is

ward singed for sheffield united in 2007-2008 didn't he? and has been injured, i am not saying these players won't be very good and brayford is a good example, however they don't always work and i would rather them not feel the pressure and bed them in and if they take off great if not then it isn't the end of the world, we were promised established championship players and established championship players in my opinion are a better bet than these bigger gambles

I don't want to get drawn into an arguement here but I would point out that if the player has been watched many times over and assessed like you'd hope for at this level, much like I expect Bailey and Brayford was then it's not a gamble. You decrease the gamble by actually going to watch the player and get reports on his training..etc Buying from the championship just means you're going to be paying more out for a player who might not even be as good as a kid in league two. James Bailey probably picks up 2-3 thousand a week, around 11 thousand less than Savage.. he is a much better player already.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You keep saying this but Ward has played in this division for the past 3-4 years, Shackell and Eustace too.. I don't see why you're so keen on these 'established championship players'

League Two John Brayford pissed all over highly thought of Doncaster Rovers left back Gareth Roberts. I wish someone would get it into your head it doesn't matter one tiny bit where these players come from, if they're good enough.. they're good enough. There is absolutely nothing more or nothing less to it than that.

I have got to say that I cannot for the life of me understand why you are trying to convert Young Ram away from his way of thinking. Surely there are better things to be doing than to be reacting to the kid's wind ups.

no doubt, however they are gambles in this league and the pace of the league and the competitiveness is different. Bailey and Brayford are good and no doubt better than savage and roberts, buying from the championship can be more expensive but you are relatively sure if they have had a good season they can do it again and are proven at this level, even the players we have watched a lot like these will be gambles e.g. maguire has a very mixed opinion.

I have got to say that I cannot for the life of me understand why you are trying to convert Young Ram away from his way of thinking. Surely there are better things to be doing than to be reacting to the kid's wind ups.

Watching the clock run down until I can get home from work and enjoy the 3 day weekend! I can fit in counciling to the pessimistic in times like these.

no doubt, however they are gambles in this league and the pace of the league and the competitiveness is different. Bailey and Brayford are good and no doubt better than savage and roberts, buying from the championship can be more expensive but you are relatively sure if they have had a good season they can do it again and are proven at this level, even the players we have watched a lot like these will be gambles e.g. maguire has a very mixed opinion.

There was a lot of question raised by Crewe fans when we signed Bailey basically because he was in and out of their team and I was sure it was nothing more than a 'development team' buy but he nearly played every game for us this season barring a little injury. I honestly think being a manager is like no other job, if you're willing to work hard and look in the right places you could pull a team out of your arse that could win the league, if you're lazy then you have no chance.. the only hope you have of winning anything is by spending big.

I disagree, i am not putting negative spin on everything, by the way i haven't even dissaproved of these signings, i have just said we need to back these up with established successful championship players. One has to remember which league they come from and take account of that, which is what i am doing. My outlandish views are crazy? who wanted holt, lambert predicted we would struggle to stay up which we did in all honesty, oh wait that was me.

Why? So we can become even more established in The NPC.. The key to promotion is to find players outside of this poxy league who are actually better than the majority who play in The NPC.

Swansea, QPR and Norwich (the top 3) have bought players from outside The NPC, especially Swansea, hardly any of their players were known to other NPC squads.

And Readings 106 team. How many were established NPC players.

Sonko, S.Hunt and Ingimarsson = Brentford

Harper and Sidwell = Arsenal ressies

Hanemman = Fulham ressies

Long and Doyle = Ireland (Doyles goal-game ratio was shocking in Ireland, go check it out)

Kitson = Cambridge

Lita = Bristol City (who was then in League 1)

Convey = USA

Shorey = Leyton Orient

Derby getting in McGuire, Rooney, Bryson, Bujis, Plus another from the lower legues etc. could turn out to be brilliant.. Im delighted to see NC actually go after players that dont already play in The NPC.. As it goes someway to proving his scouting network goes furher than The Midlands, plus players who once played well against us.

not necessarily, i am not saying these won't work but one can't guarantee it either, if you spend some money on some more established championship players back them up with these players which are more of a gamble, then that for me is a good mix, rather than relying on these gambles. I am not saying they won't work, i am saying we have a better chance in my opinion with established successful championship players which we were promised than simply relying on gambles.

not necessarily, i am not saying these won't work but one can't guarantee it either, if you spend some money on some more established championship players back them up with these players which are more of a gamble, then that for me is a good mix, rather than relying on these gambles. I am not saying they won't work, i am saying we have a better chance in my opinion with established successful championship players which we were promised than simply relying on gambles.

Like Middlesbrough ??:confused:

But what does this mean? Established NPC player? Marlon King for example is established at this level, but hes not top 6 material.. If you want a team to get into that top 6 you need players who are better than the midtable NPC teams.. So that means buying players from top NPC teams which will mean offering them 10k plus in wages plus a $2mill ish transfer fee.. Its simply not worth the risk..

Buying the likes of Eustace, Tyson, Waghorn etc. for big bucks IMO is a waste of time.. Its like splashing $4mill in total on a few players to only push us up to midtable..

Theres better value to be found from around Britain (Scotland-Ireland) and from either the PL Ressies like Scott Sinclair, Lansbury, Jack Hobbs, Idel Taraabt etc. or from the lower leagues where there are players who can make the step up and better but at a fraction of the cost.

Can't garauntee that "experienced" players will work either.

Experienced players at this level means steady, but a little bit crap.

A team of established players could be:

Bywater

Conolly

Davis

Albrechtsen

McEveley

Teale

Savage

Pearson

Fagan

Ellington

Varney

That sort of team would be relegation certainties!

I would prefer successful experienced championship players, not experienced rubbish

Archived