can derby push for automatic promotion next season

B4ev6is

With the players we are linked to bring in I think just in or outside the play-offs.

That is providing we get someone like Shackell and a decent LB who gel well. Going forward I think we are probably looking to play a CF and two hard working wide forwards rather than creative attacking midfielders. I think NC is looking to set us up as solid rather than creative.

Are any of the player we are looking to bring in better than Commons and Hulse?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the players we are linked to bring in I think just in or outside the play-offs.

That is providing we get someone like Shackell and a decent LB who gel well. Going forward I think we are probably looking to play a CF and two hard working wide forwards rather than creative attacking midfielders. I think NC is looking to set us up as solid rather than creative.

Are any of the player we are looking to bring in better than Commons and Hulse?

I would hope that when we bring a centre forward in, he will be better than Hulse as he was fairly ordinary. As regards Commons, I think we are looking for consistency of performance at a decent level, rather than anonymity for large periods of a game with the odd spark of high level of skill.

I think we can go up. Why?

Because we've good players - Cwyka, Fielding, Brayford, Bailey, Ward, Addison, (if fit and stays), Doyle - add some experienced heads and it's a good squad. I'm happy we're being linked with Eustace to be honest, and I think he could help Bailey develop.

I've no reason not to believe we haven't got a chance.

If we sign a quality midfielder and striker then i think we can, as i've never even heard of the players we're being linked with we wont know until the season starts. Midfield is the main area that needs major improvement though imo. Therefore, i wouldnt be surprised by any league position by the end of next May, from an outsider looking in though you predict a struggle once again.

My thoughts may be deluded with the practicalities of better/more experienced squads coming down from the prem etc.....but i reckon most derby diehards just want to see some team spirit/fight....a team thats hard to beat,players putting shifts in/rolled up sleeves etc,imo thats where average squads can take a league by the scruff of the neck and shake it up.We have all witnessed this yo yo league and how a team can string 4-5 wins together and be flirting with automatic/playoff places...its open season.It may well be blind optimism after the last few seasons but my monies on Derby to surprise a few pessimists/bookies favourites next year.NC wants leaders and if he gets a couple of hungry/motivated players in,i reckon we will be in with a shot at challenging...clean slate,the only way is up imo.....no pessimists stating theres lower leagues we can drop into please....forward thinking now.

SillyBilly

Has to be Play-Offs for me. Glick set himself and the manager that target, Clough seems happy with his brief providing he gets his players in. Who knows what the league has in store, West Ham and Brum could struggle for all we know. Weren't 'Boro supposed to be favourites this year and weren't Sheff U relatively big spenders? QPR won the league after strengthening from our position so I'll judge it as its played.

I think we can go up. Why?

Because we've good players - Cwyka, Fielding, Brayford, Bailey, Ward, Addison, (if fit and stays), Doyle - add some experienced heads and it's a good squad. I'm happy we're being linked with Eustace to be honest, and I think he could help Bailey develop.

I've no reason not to believe we haven't got a chance.

Why has everyone suddenly gone mental for the kid??? Just because he's been doing ok for the yank U21s doesn't mean he's going to be anything more than a benchwarmer this season.

With the players we've been linked with and supposedly about to sign I can see us anywhere between 14th/8th depending on how they settle in but as Ambitous points out we have no basis for such predictions, everyone tipped Blackpool to go down the season they went up and the same can be said of Swansea this season. The simple fact is until we kick off in that 1st game we have no idea...

Who's gone mental? I just think he's talented, and will play at a good level.

I think we could finish between 1st and 24th. This league is absolutely bananas, and the hardest in the world to escape. I bet Middlesbrough fans can't believe where they finished...

doyle will not make the step up this season, yes his goal was good but it was against guatamala under 21's which aren't known to be world beaters. I know you can only score against what is in front of you but he will play a bit part role this season i think, cywka is an on/off player, when everything is going well he is brilliant, when we are down in the dumps he is garbage.

doyle will not make the step up this season, yes his goal was good but it was against guatamala under 21's which aren't known to be world beaters. I know you can only score against what is in front of you but he will play a bit part role this season i think, cywka is an on/off player, when everything is going well he is brilliant, when we are down in the dumps he is garbage.

Well yes...that's also true of every player we have.

Exactly, but this is how teams get on good runs.. I'd rather have players with potential to be good than players who are consistently average. I think if we're going to be a force next season it counts on players like Cywka to stand up and be counted! When he is on his game, he can really put a shift in.

Well yes...that's also true of every player we have.

well not every player but 95%, that is why we won;t go for automatic promotion, ambitious it is all well and good having potential but a lot of that time the potential doesn't materialise, i would rather have good players now.

well not every player but 95%, that is why we won;t go for automatic promotion, ambitious it is all well and good having potential but a lot of that time the potential doesn't materialise, i would rather have good players now.

I guess you don't understand the term potential? it doesn't mean potential for next season, I mean the potential to put in a good game. Cywka has the potential to put in a good shift and be a top player, he did it for a few months this season then his head went and it was hard to get him back but he had that ability, no-one went into his body and took over.. it was HIS performances and he needs to keep on doing it now on a more consistent basis, goes for all of our players... we don't need any individual stars, we need a team that can put in a good shift and scrap out a result.

We do this and we will win a lot more than we'll lose!

yes i do understand the meaning, but does he have the potential to do it for 30-40 games of a season i don't think so tbh. He has the potential to play well but so does stephen pearson as he put in a good shift once in his career. I don't buy the fact that because someone had a few good games they have the potential to do it throughout the season, some players are naturally on/off types of players.

Don't know where you get that with Cywka though. Very rarely does he have a poor game. Even if things aren't happening for him he puts in a shift. Some of your opinions are wild and unfounded to be honest.

what like mcguire would cost millions in a couple of years? oh wait that was one of yours, well for me he does have some poor games and some good games.

yes because that sounds ridiculous when you say it out of context.

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0805/context-demotivational-poster-1210732553

What I said is that it is these types of players that other teams get and they turn out to be worth over a million in a couple of years, which is when people like you will be saying 'why can't we get them?'

Archived