Young Ram's Nigel Clough debate!

Leeds Ram

he said it was for footballing reasons, yet then we had 1 left back who was out injured or crap for much of the season and had no left back, in some peoples eyes i know nigel can do no wrong and that does infuriate me i have to admit. I know commons's deal was out of our hands but i am sorry 400k for moxey was an awful decision tbh especially where we were.

I don't know anyone who thinks he can do no wrong. I do know people who use the tiniest little thing he's ever said or done to criticise him.

Whichever way you look at it he's had less money to spend on incomings than he's generated on outgoings. He's also reduced the wage bill by half.

Give the bloke a chance ffs.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know several, he has been given more leniency than any derby manager i have come across. Are you sure he has spent less than received? not true this season at all. I have given him a chance, 2 and a half years and this is his squad getting promotion on the cheap isn't impossible nor a mid table

Leacock has had one good season in 4, got absolutely demoralised in the premiership and hasn't recovered since. He will be one of our highest earners, if someone comes in for him.. despite the fee, hats off to the guy for the good memories (in his first season) and wish him all the best for the future.

i know several, he has been given more leniency than any derby manager i have come across. Are you sure he has spent less than received? not true this season at all. I have given him a chance, 2 and a half years and this is his squad getting promotion on the cheap isn't impossible nor a mid table

No it isn't impossible to skank promotion on the cheap but what people fail to realise time and time again is that not only as Clough had hardly anything to spend he has also had to get rid of quality players and high earners that he inherited so it was a double whammy!

He has had to come in and tidy up a big mess whilst not having money to replace, all the time having "fans" berating him for not signing super stars! Frankly its a miracle he has managed to keep our heads above water, give the guy a break and judge him when he has actually had a realistic crack. Think of the players he has had to get rid of and then think of the players he has bought in for the price of a pick and mix! Brayford, Bailey, Barker (ok a little pricier!), Ward, Fielding, Theo (jury's out), Moxey (made a slight profit), Roberts (ok as cover), Buxton (a trier, ok as cover), Anderson (steady when fit). Capturing Ayala and Bueno on long loans were coups also. All of those permanent signings probably cost us less than paying off Claude Davis ffs!

Of the players we've had to get rid of, how many would you say are quality? I can only think of Hulse and Commons and they left this season (so were around when we struggled prior to that).

I've been vocal criticism of Nigel during his stint so far. I don't think he's proved to be a good manager when there's little scope to get your own players in. As in he won't get the best out of a current squad. To suggest its some miraculous feat to keep us in the league I personally feel is a bit far fetched.

Maybe he's the type of manager who needs certain types of players, that doesn't bend to accommodate anyone outside of that. They must have a certain personality to either get on his good side or respond to his methods. We now appear to have some money to spend so Nigel can get in players who will do things his way and so maybe things will now improve.

Good point on Leacocks wages, yes he will be a relatively high earner, and if we can get £600,000 then I'm convinced that is a great bit of business. We'd all like to see a new centre back signed in the summer (I'm happy with it being a loan).

for me over a million pounds in the championship in a season is a decent bit of money, he should have kept our heads above water that is a minimum requirement tbh. At the start of last season everyone was saying 14th minimum and now we finished 19th everyone's saying it is a miracle we stayed up, no other manager in derby county history as far as i am aware has been given this much leeway by the fans.

for me over a million pounds in the championship in a season is a decent bit of money, he should have kept our heads above water that is a minimum requirement tbh. At the start of last season everyone was saying 14th minimum and now we finished 19th everyone's saying it is a miracle we stayed up, no other manager in derby county history as far as i am aware has been given this much leeway by the fans.

Some fans YR. There has been a fair few who have been on his case since day one. I would guess something like 25% had decided he was crap the day he signed and have spent the intervening period trying to justify that opinion.

He's had to put with constant NLN jibes and ridicule, every substitution and change of formation greeted with "he does'nt know what he's doing" comments.

Go and talk to any sensible (!?) reddog and they will tell you they have been completely baffled by some of Billy's decisions this season. Some believe his stubbornness and refusal to play certain players has cost them automatic promotion, but hey, thats different int it.

Since Nige has beeen here imo Leacock and Barker against Brizzle City at home couple of seasons ago was the best partnership i had seen, at time thought we could build on that unfortunately it just hasn't with injuries and form, good luck Deano I will applaud if you ever come back to PP but I think Derby and yourself need to move on.

Some fans YR. There has been a fair few who have been on his case since day one. I would guess something like 25% had decided he was crap the day he signed and have spent the intervening period trying to justify that opinion.

He's had to put with constant NLN jibes and ridicule, every substitution and change of formation greeted with "he does'nt know what he's doing" comments.

Go and talk to any sensible (!?) reddog and they will tell you they have been completely baffled by some of Billy's decisions this season. Some believe his stubbornness and refusal to play certain players has cost them automatic promotion, but hey, thats different int it.

I gave NLN a fair chance, i gave him 2 years, since then we have gone backward and got worse, for me if it was anyone else he would have been sacked. No one stood up for phil brown and he was under much tighter constraints than nigel was. He hasn't had to put up with ridicule at all, the fans have sung you don't know what your doing once to him.

I think Leacock is a good CB and will be at another club. There have been games this past season where he's been better than Barker, yet that never gets mentioned. Some players can do no wrong, others ready to be chastised after a mistake.

I don't doubt for a second, that Nigel got the job because of his connections to Derby County, and yes, you could argue that a side like Middlesbrough (similar size/expectations) would never have looked at him based purely on his record at Burton, the likelihood is that Nigel wouldn't have chosen any other club either.

We were a relegation candidate when he arrived, we have sold or released many players to balance the books, and we have a blank canvass this summer to bring in the players to make a difference. Nigel has created this blank canvass, and has earned the right to be the one to use it. If we sacked him now, and brought in a new manager, that new guy would be licking his lips, following all the cleaning up that Nigel has had to do, and done well.

sorry but this is his side, he has molded it, he said they were aiming for top 12 this season just gone and they fell well short. Virtually every player in the side is his, now he has bought many sub standard players by that definition, he has bought some good players, e.g. barker, brayford and bailey but he has won 30.7% of his games. That is pitiful and in most seasons we would have been relegated this year. We were relegation candidates when he arrived and with all due respect we still are at this point in time. For me he has done a poor job and everyone was baying for blood with managers like brown who had 0 money and did just as poorly as nigel

sorry but this is his side, he has molded it, he said they were aiming for top 12 this season just gone and they fell well short. Virtually every player in the side is his, now he has bought many sub standard players by that definition, he has bought some good players, e.g. barker, brayford and bailey but he has won 30.7% of his games. That is pitiful and in most seasons we would have been relegated this year. We were relegation candidates when he arrived and with all due respect we still are at this point in time. For me he has done a poor job and everyone was baying for blood with managers like brown who had 0 money and did just as poorly as nigel

Maybe because George Burley was sacked atfter a great season when we played great football, Phil Brown's teams were hoofball merchants with people like Kevin Poole, Paul Thirwell & Dean Holdsworth playing.

Burley had no money as well.

Have to agree with YR on the point that he's had nobody on his back when compared to what anyone else would have with similar results and performances.

I think Leacock is a good CB and will be at another club. There have been games this past season where he's been better than Barker, yet that never gets mentioned. Some players can do no wrong, others ready to be chastised after a mistake.

Agree with that, it was when Barker was getting fit and up to speed, without Leacock we'd have been even more in the ****.

I don't think Burley was sacked for football reasons....

I didn't like Brown because I didn't feel he ever took responsibility. IIRC the only money he was given was for Darren Moore. Maybe he wasn't given enough time, but I wasn't sad to see him go. GSE are giving Nigel time, and a football club needs stability.

IF Nigel has an unsuccessful 11/12 season, which I sincerely hope he doesn't, then he won't be given a new contract. He deserves to show what he can do with a decent summer of spending. And it will take time for new players to gel, so unless we are in serious jeopardy, I expect him to still be the manager at the turn of the year.

And I would hope any future managers are given time to make a mark on the squad, but for now Nigel is my man.

With no money. Why should he have been able to turn it all around while having to get rid of the high earners and signing new ones with a much smaller budget? If we weren't good enough when he arrived how is he going to build a side that is good enough by removing the stronger players on out of necessity and spending small change on their replacements?

Archived