jim smith on the radio

NorfolkRam

I remember the home game against Sheff Wed from a few years later - They went 3-1 up in injury time and appeared to wrap up the points - except no one told the Rams! We came roaring back with 2 goals deep into injury time and then missed another effort to get an unbelievable win! Crazy times!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember the home game against Sheff Wed from a few years later - They went 3-1 up in injury time and appeared to wrap up the points - except no one told the Rams! We came roaring back with 2 goals deep into injury time and then missed another effort to get an unbelievable win! Crazy times!

There were some crazy comebacks in that year!

Remeber this one at The Dell v Southampton, think it was the Monday Night Football match. Not as dramtic as the Sheff Weds one.

Mikkel Beck with the stoppage time equaliser.:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FGQScDRlpA

The Sheff Weds one:

Also, the 4-4 game at Valley Parade against Bradford City was not good for anyones health! Remeber listening to the Five Live commentary when Craig Burley missed his chance to get a hattrick of peanlties, gutted throught we were going down.:frown:

We were two nil up after two quick goals, Rory Delap scored in the first minute I think Branko Strupar got the second after five mins, then Windass scored two for Bradford and Peter Beagrie scored a penalty to make it 3-2, Delap got sent-off. Burley got the first of his peanlties to make it 3-3 and then Windass got his hatrick bang on half, Burley made it 4-4 with another penalty, before missing another when my mother joking shouted miss to the radio, wasn't happy with her when it missed! Full-time 4-4.

Not sure if Jim Smith was still manager but does anybody remember the 3 - 3 game against Middlesborough?

0 - 3 at half time, think Christie pulled one back and then a double substitution of Kinkladze and Strupar. 3 - 3 soon enough.

Might have got the players mixed up, but that was a great come back. Another great atmosphere against Borough too.

It was nice to hear Jim Smith again. I have a huge respect for the guy. When he was at charge they used to show Derby matches every now and then in Finnish tv. We used to watch the matches with my friends and although my friends supported other teams, everybody liked Derby matches because there were so colourful characters. Baiano, Wanchope and Stimac for example had their fans.

I remember once Jim Smith made three substitutions same time and there was at least twenty minutes to play. That created pretty lively conversation. Have some fond memories of those times.

I went to the evening Jim is a very warm nice guy, funny as well you could tell he had the respect of the players still .The funniest story was the one about Eranio who Jim credited with bringing on the squad the most.After a game him and Darryl were walking towards the tunnel and Stefano said to Darryl why does Spencer [Prior] keep passing to the stand.

Eranio was a rare talent. At first you'd think what the fuss was about but then you realised how simple he made the game look.

Instant control, awareness of all that's going on around him, pass and move, keep possession while constantly looking for that killer pass to create an opening.

He could have played very easily in the current Barcelona team. Without cheating.

I went to the evening Jim is a very warm nice guy, funny as well you could tell he had the respect of the players still .The funniest story was the one about Eranio who Jim credited with bringing on the squad the most.After a game him and Darryl were walking towards the tunnel and Stefano said to Darryl why does Spencer [Prior] keep passing to the stand.

On the radio interview Sturridge immediately called him "Boss". You could tell from the banter between them that TBE had respect.

The balance of the team was good, for every Eranio there was a Darryl Powell and Spencer Prior.

The "water carriers" (as Cantona called them), are just as important as the flair players. The secret is getting that balance.

Does anyone really believe that Darren Fletcher would get into Real's or Barca's team?

I don't, yet he might just end up winning the Champions League.

Agreed - those days seem a very long way away now. :frown:

The champagne football of Eranio, Baiano, Asa, Stimac, Wanchope - awesome!

In between the 24th September and 18th October 1997 - I think that's my happiest time as a Ram. Broke the hoodoo that Sheff Wed had over us at Hillsboro' by smashing 5 past them, scored 4 goals in the last quarter of an hour to destroy Southampton at PP, went to Filbert Street and turned Leicester over, and ended it all with a great display in the 2-2 draw with Man Utd at PP.

First season at PP were'nt it Staffie?

Superb, we were BACK, with style. Could'nt wait to play Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, we just always seemed to get a result against them.

There were no inhibitions, no fears, we'd take the best teams in the country on toe to toe for skill.

Its the reason we have such a tremendous fan base now. The kids aged 10 in '97 are 24/25 now and have stayed with Derby instead of going glory hunting.

Ok, some have given up going every match, but, they'll be back, much like us 70's kids can weather the bad times because we've seen what Derby can be like when its good.

There is no better place to be.

That game v Villa? Was it Villa park?

"with a packet of sweets and a cheeky smile, Paul Merson is a fking peadophile" was a song going around

My mate threw a burger at a Villa fan.

Such a charming day.

That was the day I couldn't get a ticket in the away end so ended purchasing a ticket in the Villa end funnily enough where the away fans are located now! As a young un I attempted to hang my DCFC flag up at the front which was left for a good 5 minutes before the stewards said sorry pal you cant have that here!! Got a good response from the Derby fans though!

First season at PP were'nt it Staffie?

Superb, we were BACK, with style. Could'nt wait to play Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, we just always seemed to get a result against them.

There were no inhibitions, no fears, we'd take the best teams in the country on toe to toe for skill.

Its the reason we have such a tremendous fan base now. The kids aged 10 in '97 are 24/25 now and have stayed with Derby instead of going glory hunting.

Ok, some have given up going every match, but, they'll be back, much like us 70's kids can weather the bad times because we've seen what Derby can be like when its good.

There is no better place to be.

Yeah that's it mate, first year at PP. From memory, the only side we had insurmountable problems against in those days was Leeds - I think they were the only big club (at the time) that we didn't turn over at least once!

I think you're spot on about the fans - I think we were pulling in about 12/13k shortly before going up under TBE - then it jumped to 30k and we've never looked back.

The fact that we've still been pulling in c30k over the past 3/4 years when we've been frankly awful for a lot of it, and always struggling, goes to show what a terrific football city Derby is. Look at half the sides in the Premier League now, they don't get similar crowds even when they're up there, and how many of the rest would still pull in 30k if they were in our position? Few I'd wager.

That one was about 5 years afterwards. I remember that one. Last minute winner disallowed. Great game, should have been a great win, but a **** of a referee. :mad:

The 2-2 draw in 1997 was when we went 2-0 up through Baiano and Wanchope, and then they came back into it with Sheringham scoring and then Andy Cole netted with about 5 minutes to go.

I was there for that game. We were 2-0 up at half time and Wanchope had hit the bar at 2-0, then Utd just kept plugging away at us until they got the equaliser.

To think we were disappointed at only drawing with Man Utd! Great days.

Some great memories here. We owe the Pickering and Bald Eagle team alot, we'd be so small time without them. Probably still stuck at the baseball ground with the crappy training facilities with low crowds and poor football. They put us back on the map for a period of time and put some pride back in the city. These crowds won't last forever though and we need to spark back into life again or risk becoming the next Coventry.

That game v Villa? Was it Villa park?

"with a packet of sweets and a cheeky smile, Paul Merson is a fking peadophile" was a song going around

My mate threw a burger at a Villa fan.

Such a charming day.

A 'Burger Brum'...................Burger Bun.........No?!

I'll Get My Coat...........

Archived