Savage reconsiders retirement

inglorious01

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't be too disappointed if he stayed. I'd pay him up to 6k as well but wouldn't have him as such a mainstay in the team. More a back up to Addison and Bailey, especially till green gets back.

As much as many dislike him he has been decent for us through a rough period. He is there when needed and always gives his all. Ok not the most skillful and he has lost sooner energy but he still has his uses.

true....he'll be playing somewhere next year

Green, Addison and Savage have all had enough opportunities in centre mid and they're just not good enough. I'd love it if we could bring in a experienced central midfielder to play alongside Bailey for next season, someone decent on the ball with a bit of skill.

i never understood Derby fans slagging off Commons. I don't get the criticism of Paul Green. I get sick and tired of all the **** aimed at Pearson. Similarly all the crap aimed at Savage.

You bore me sh1tless.

i never understood Derby fans slagging off Commons. I don't get the criticism of Paul Green. I get sick and tired of all the **** aimed at Pearson. Similarly all the crap aimed at Savage.

You bore me sh1tless.

Cos in their time here they've collectively contributed very little, none of them would get in a top 10 side in this division. Green possibly who may look better around better players.

Cos in their time here they've collectively contributed very little, none of them would get in a top 10 side in this division. Green possibly who may look better around better players.

Funny that, two of them were in a top four side earlier this season.

Savage has said on numerous occasions that he wouldn't be happy sat on the bench playing a bit part role. If any of you have read his autobiography will realise what an arse he can be at a club if he doesn't get his own way.

You need to ask yourself is Savage good enough to be a regular in a team that's aim is the play offs next season?

Also it's alright saying offer him 1k, 3k, 6k or whatever per week (which makes me laugh I must say), ask yourself would he accept that kind of offer, or would he get a better offer from working full time in the media? and could we get better value for money by spending the wages on another young James Bailey?

It's time for Savage to move on if Derby are genuine about the play offs next season.

by the way did anyone hear what sav said to that leeds fan that called him a gypo and asked where his caravan is. sav replied with "my newest caravan is in marroco, i bought it with the bonus i got from beating leeds twice". i mean i can't stand him when he plays because he's awful. but you can't knock him for comebacks lol

by the way did anyone hear what sav said to that leeds fan that called him a gypo and asked where his caravan is. sav replied with "my newest caravan is in marroco, i bought it with the bonus i got from beating leeds twice". i mean i can't stand him when he plays because he's awful. but you can't knock him for comebacks lol

Wasn't it Monaco?

This might not be important, but a while back I seem to remember the club stated that he had not been offered a new deal. I don't think he will stay with us anyway because of that. He has always wanted to play a year for Wrexham so what's the chance of him doing that.

Also how many Derby supporters in the SE and E stands after the Leeds game were chanting 'Only one Robbie Savage' and 'Savage, Savage what's the score' He responded by holding up his hands saying 2-1

And you must have enjoyed it when at the end he wandered over to the SW corner pointing to his name on the back of his shirt and then walked to the SE holding his hand behind his ear to wind up the Leeds fans.

He might not be the best midfielder we have ever had but you have to admit he always wears his heart on sleeve and gets stuck in. In fact I thought at one point he was close to a red card!!

Good luck to him in whatever he does in the future. I think he will certainly remember his time at Derby

I think Savage has been great for raising Derby's profile as a club, he was hugely responsible for pulling the team out of last season's mire around the time we were getting humped at home by Scunny, Doncaster and Blackpool.

This season he started well, things caught up with him but he's finishing the season well. For a 36 year old he's done well to play a part in nearly every game this season, esp in a position that requires huge amounts of energy.

I'm not sure of the sense of keeping him as he's not the way forward in terms of first choice and isn't really an impact player to keep on the bench - more of someone to bring on when trying to hang onto a lead late on. And he has indicated he wouldn't want to do that anyway (though faced with that and a choice of not playing at all it might seem a better option).

I would have loved to have kept him on the coaching side - certainly at the expense of some of the others - but he doesn't want to do that. So I can't really see where he would fit in next season.

Good luck to him though. My eight year old adores him and is gutted he's retiring.

Archived