Chris Maquire

davenportram

If we are playing 4-2-3-1, I'm not sure where we are planning on playing all these strikers.

Assuming for now that Maguire and Tyson are both en route, and that we will play 4-2-3-1, who's most likely to be our 1?

S.Davies, Robinson, Tyson, or is this the role we need to buy someone in?

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 1 in the 4-2-3-1 would be Ward I think, given what Nigel's said in a few post-match interviews towards the end of the season. He said that he wants to get Ward as far up the pitch as possible.

I think Tyson would fill one of the '3' behind him, along with Davies and Maguire.

Having seen Ward's long-range shooting I think I'd be inclined to switch them and have Maguire up front, with Ward behind, and then Tyson and A.N.Other/Davies either side.

Don't forget we have Cwyka, Green, B.Davies to name a few also competing for the '3', I suppose you could also add Pringle, Croft, Martin & a plausible return from Bueno to the list as well. And I'd be surprised to see Ward spearheading the attack.

I like 4-3-3, if we have theo down one line, tyson down the other with Ward in the middle it will scare the crap out of defences!

Well you'll be happy then.

Tyson, Ward, the unnamed centre forward, all the centre midfielders...it must be 4-3-3 we're planning on playing next season.

Well you'll be happy then.

Tyson, Ward, the unnamed centre forward, all the centre midfielders...it must be 4-3-3 we're planning on playing next season.

Still don't want to sign Tyson though! Maybe Ward down the right instead with new CF

Still don't want to sign Tyson though! Maybe Ward down the right instead with new CF

I don't want him either, but it's not like we can doing anything about it!

The new CF might not be a target man as such, could be a poacher - it doesn't matter, so long as he can bury chances. I'd guess for that role we'll have Mr A.N. Other, Steve Davies (who even when he looks crap still scores, could be a decent option for this position with a pre season behind him), and Callum Ball.

Back to Maguire tho..............

I understand that it seems 'harsh' to pre-judge the guy. But when you do the maths.....

I will also be one of those people who gladly have a lil egg on their face if he comes in and plays great. But after weighing up all the evidence, It doesn't look like a team developing here that I like the look of. Theo will probably not 'up his game', Tyson has been poor and has no end game either. And Maguire sounds like he will disappear for most of the season and have us screaming 'PASS THE BLOODY BALL' and 'WHY THE HELL DID YOU SHOOT FROM THERE'.

I just hope it all boils down to his attitude tho. If he can become a less selfish player, Then I fully expect him to do some good things as he has 'Natural Ability'. I dunno, maybe I worry too much......I just want to be able to put more faith into some of the signings at the moment.

Let's hope I'm completely and utterly wrong!!

[sIZE=1]I usually am!! ;)[/sIZE]

He's 22 for crying out loud. Exact type of player that when he's 25 or whatever would cost millions to buy.

again this is conjecture, how do you know this? if a 25 year old scored 12 goals in the spl for 3 seasons not many would be baying out for his signature. He certainly wouldn't cost millions.

yes but then at 25 he will have not developed at all and your right hed not be worth millions.

but if at 21 he can score 12 in the spl then moves down to us and get 12-15 in the championship you will find he will be worth more than the 400k we will have to pay for him, if he consistantly does this at this level someone will pay much more too...

It's all speculation and there are a lot of parameters to think of, But more worried about whether he matches the criteria of the type of player(s) we need; Grafters who play well together as a team and can perform in some 'ugly' circumstances.

I'm less concerned on whether he will be worth millions in a few years (Although would also benefit us)

12 goals in the spl is hardly great, i will reserve judgement but i have heard about his attitude. I will only be happy if we sign a proven championship striker as well. This is a punt but we need to make sure we get some likely prolific signings first for me.

I know the SPL is not seen as a gd league however he is not in an exceptional team in the league not like Celtic or Rangers. and still managed to score goals, this attitude problem might be related to arrogance which is not to bad in a professional sports person as it drives them to be the best.

it can be a problem though, even if a player is very good and is arrogant it can still go wrong, and the spl isn't a good league, i watch games on espn and formerly setanta and it is poor. Aberdeen aren't good but 12 goals in 38 isn't even one in 3 in a poor league.

Archived