Chris Maquire

davenportram

i am not dismissing at all, i am saying that in my opinion that money could be better spent, if he is good when he comes to derby i will admit it and be proud he is a derby player, however there are doubts in my mind if this is the type of player we are going for and not the experienced championship players then it is worrying to some degree.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant remember charlie adam being an amazing player for Rangers a few years ago, he was a back up. Ok Adam's not a striker but I think it depends on the style of play of the team more than anything. And £400,000 on a promising 22 year old kid and has been called up by Scotland in the home nations matches, thats not too bad :D

i am not dismissing at all, i am saying that in my opinion that money could be better spent, if he is good when he comes to derby i will admit it and be proud he is a derby player, however there are doubts in my mind if this is the type of player we are going for and not the experienced championship players then it is worrying to some degree.

With you on this YR. I am all for giving players a chance but 400K on someone that is hardly setting the league alight (and it is a **** league). If was showing genuine promise you would have thought that one of the least worst teams would be taking an interest? I hope that he proves me wrong and becomes a quality player- maybe Clough has genuinely seen something in him, but it all points to Derby "development" squad and then getting released, along with our 400k. Hope I am wrong and will be the first to admit it

Don't see the difference to be honest. So you want one guy who gets all the goals until he inevitably gets injured and we are screwed.

Sorry, I probably didn't make my point very well. I'm concerned that what we lacked all of last season was an out and out goalscorer. And so far this we've been linked with players who are strikers in name but not out and out goalscorers, namely Tyson and Maguire. Tyson plays on the wing and Maguire has been described as playing behind a striker. I'm not saying they don't have their place in the team, they're probably both as good as if not better than what we've got, but as goalgetters they are limited.

Add to that Robinson and it hardly makes me think the problems up top have been sorted. It's a selection of players who will chip in with a goal here and there, which is what we've already got and not what we need.

I've not seen anything in Steve Davies that makes me think he's a prolific striker, which leaves Jamie Ward, who I rate highly, even though I think his strongest position for us will be out wide.

Let's hope they've got their eye on someone to lead the attack properly who will be complimented by the sort of strikers we're after at the moment.

I wonder if Reading fans were this negative about a player signing when they signed the likes of Shane Long and Kevin Doyle who were nobody's from Ireland. Give the kid a chance!

A goal from the half way line??

You'd have to be a really really shiite team to concede a goal from the half way line.

Surely?

Although hang on....where did I see one of those recently??

Let me think.....Ummm...was it a welsh team?

Anyone?

I think if a player has good ability then he will be alright, and that is said about this lad, so I'm not worried. You can not and should not judge a player at such a young age on past stats, it's foolish too because some people go the way of Leon Knight as the goals he scored at a young age made him one of the most talked about young players in the country.. yet other players can go the way of Danny Graham who in his younger years couldn't hit a barn door but now as just racked up one of the most impressive scoring seasons in divisional history.

On this one, he has good ability and technique.. clearly enough for national coaches to sit up and take note, so let's not focus on what goals he has scored in the past, what his pass completion rate his or his goal to shot ratio is. If we sign him, let's take him in with a blank slate, look at his ability and then make a judgement AFTER a year or 2.. remember he is 21, still got 12-14 years left in him.

also something to back me up, just so I can prove my theory..

http://i.thisis.co.uk/275564/article/images/2507239/1718241-vlarge

He signed when he was in and out of a league two crewe side that had just had a pretty poor season and people weren't expecting much if anything from him, another one along the lines 'urgh you seen who none league nigel has signed again' and this season he has been a pretty influential and big player for us, if it wasn't for his injury he like Brayford may of well played every single game for us this season.

Just something to bear in mind when trying to judge a young player on past stats.

also something to back me up, just so I can prove my theory..

http://i.thisis.co.uk/275564/article/images/2507239/1718241-vlarge

He signed when he was in and out of a league two crewe side that had just had a pretty poor season and people weren't expecting much if anything from him, another one along the lines 'urgh you seen who none league nigel has signed again' and this season he has been a pretty influential and big player for us, if it wasn't for his injury he like Brayford may of well played every single game for us this season.

Just something to bear in mind when trying to judge a young player on past stats.

Spot on mate i remember alot of people slagging his signing off i think he will be one of our major players next season.

Spot on mate i remember alot of people slagging his signing off i think he will be one of our major players next season.

Without question, I believe someone like Eustace will only bring him on a lot more. I know Addison and Bailey cover all the bases in the case of one is a brilliant passer of the ball and the other could make the leaning tower of pisa stand up straight but as a centre midfielder positioning is 9/10ths and experience is a major part of that IMO.

Without question, I believe someone like Eustace will only bring him on a lot more. I know Addison and Bailey cover all the bases in the case of one is a brilliant passer of the ball and the other could make the leaning tower of pisa stand up straight but as a centre midfielder positioning is 9/10ths and experience is a major part of that IMO.

If we sign Eustace where do you see Addo playing?I personaly think he`s too slow for CB so can`t see where he`d fit in to our team with a new midfielder?

If we sign Eustace where do you see Addo playing?I personaly think he`s too slow for CB so can`t see where he`d fit in to our team with a new midfielder?

He epitomises how far physical strength can get you in midfield, I would have him as a defensive midfielder and play him in certain games because as we know no one team is the same, in a scrappy game like against Forest you want Addison in the heart of it (if) fit) I was never too sure of him at Centre Back despite having enormous strength, his awareness was never that brilliant and he played his best football in centre midfield, so I would put him there.

this is if we play the 4-2-3-1, I think he will really struggle if we got to 4-4-2..

I think if a player has good ability then he will be alright, and that is said about this lad, so I'm not worried. You can not and should not judge a player at such a young age on past stats, it's foolish too because some people go the way of Leon Knight as the goals he scored at a young age made him one of the most talked about young players in the country.. yet other players can go the way of Danny Graham who in his younger years couldn't hit a barn door but now as just racked up one of the most impressive scoring seasons in divisional history.

On this one, he has good ability and technique.. clearly enough for national coaches to sit up and take note, so let's not focus on what goals he has scored in the past, what his pass completion rate his or his goal to shot ratio is. If we sign him, let's take him in with a blank slate, look at his ability and then make a judgement AFTER a year or 2.. remember he is 21, still got 12-14 years left in him.

he is 22 and it isn't just about ability, it is also about attitude and apparently he has got a poor one. You would have to check danny graham's record with middlesborough youth as he was poor for us but he was in a very poor team

jay mceveley has got caps for scotland hasn't he?

I think we should see a different Addison again after a full pre season. Yes, I know he has been technically fit for a few months but there's nothing like a pre season.

I think we should see a different Addison again after a full pre season. Yes, I know he has been technically fit for a few months but there's nothing like a pre season.

Absolutely. And the same applies to Steve Davies. I think he will surprise a few people next season

Absolutely. And the same applies to Steve Davies. I think he will surprise a few people next season

Completely agree, when you've got to take into account that Stevie was being trained to become an old fashioned centre forward, rather than his usual direct self and still managing 1 in 3, that's quite impressive!

Completely agree, when you've got to take into account that Stevie was being trained to become an old fashioned centre forward, rather than his usual direct self and still managing 1 in 3, that's quite impressive!

I think it was before the cheek bone injury he was just starting look a class act, and since then the injuries have really held him back. But yeah, with a full pre season and hopefully a season free of any long term injuries I think he will finally show us what he can do. He does have some bad habits though. The one that really annoys me is pointing to his feet when he wants the ball, the ball gets passed into him and he let's the defender get round him and easily takes the ball.

jay mceveley has got caps for scotland hasn't he?

Along with Pearo and Tealinho.

And then they wonder why they can't qualify for major tournaments anymore.....:rolleyes:

Re Maguire, and Tyson, irrespective of their relative merits, I still think we need at least one striker who's actually proven in this league, someone who we can nearly guarantee will score us 20 goals because they've done it before. I know there's a risk with any player than you bring in, but surely there's a small additional risk in bringing in a striker that's never hit 20 goals in a season before at this level.

I'd find the signings of Maguire and Tyson to be a lot more palatable if we knew that there was a Billy Sharp-type signing coming as well.

Archived