Thomas Tuchel - New England Manager

Day

I like the appointment from looking at the possible options and how long they were willing to wait for the candidates. 

One aspect of it is he is very strict on his 3-5-2 formation and it will be interesting over the next year during qualification who will adapt to his system, who he will drop altogether and who will thrive off him.

1 hour ago, eddielewis said:

I like the appointment from looking at the possible options and how long they were willing to wait for the candidates. 

One aspect of it is he is very strict on his 3-5-2 formation and it will be interesting over the next year during qualification who will adapt to his system, who he will drop altogether and who will thrive off him.

Tuchel plays 4-2-3-1 

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Tuchel plays 4-2-3-1 

... and 3-4-3 at Chelsea.

He's actually tactically flexible to suit the players at his disposal, so yes I think it will be a 4-2-3-1 with England.

Great appointment, probably about the best we could get if Pep & Klopp were unreachable... far more inspiring than the bland English options of Howe, Potter or Carsley 😴

I am just about the furthest thing from a nationalist or patriot so am myself quite confused by my thoughts on it and fairly concerned about the type who will share it, but do think the coach should probably be English or at least have had their coaching education in England.

It is not like if you have a lack of world class centre backs you can go out and pick Van Dijk for England so am a bit sceptical about going out and hiring a supposedly world class coach if you haven’t got any yourself.

That is before you get on to the fact that while he did a very good job at Chelsea before falling out with his own shadow, title wins with PSG and Bayern Munich are hardly needle movers. My instinct is that coaching and tactics are about 25% of an international management job, and the other 75% concerns me a little.

So be it though, won’t stop me supporting England

I don’t really get the thing behind wanting an English manager anymore. Not after seeing it work well for so many nations having a foreign coach. 
I used to think you can never be fully invested in the England job if you don’t understand what it means. But that seems an immature take. They want to win for themselves and for the players. 
It’s not like Sabrina Wiegman would throw the game against Holland! She wants to win for herself and for her team. I’m not sure there’s any benefit having somebody who grew up dreaming of representing England compared to somebody who didn’t. These people don’t stop trying! 
It seems to be a pride thing for fans more than any sensible reason. 

I don’t know how we’d cope if we were in the situation that other GB nations are in where there’s players that are not born or even lived in the country they’re playing for. That would cause a meltdown for the “nationalists”?