Profile of new signings…

Some concerns and grumblings about players we are linked to made me think about where we are now and what are the profiles of players we can look to be signing in our position. 

I think the profiles we are able to sign are split into 3: 

Young players we’d be taking a risk on (Savage) 

Players coming into prime years who have shown something at L1/L2 level but not higher (CBT) 

Players past their best struggling for playing time higher up the pyramid (Smith) 

Id rather group 1 be permanent signings so we reap the reward of any successes but acknowledge there’s a level of quality available to us in prem loans that we’d struggle to sign permanently. 

Group 2 have to be right for the club in terms of cost but even if they’ve shown signs of quality they’ll be inconsistent and frustrating otherwise they wouldn’t be signing for us in league 1. 

Group 3 is fine as long as they’re seen as short stop gaps whilst the squad is being build from the first two groups. A 6 month loan for smith makes sense. Signing him for free on a 2- 3 year deal wouldn’t for me. 

No arguments with the likes of Smith coming in on loan to boost us in the short term aim of winning promotion this season. Any permanent additions I would prefer fit into your Group 1 or 2, with 3 main considerations;

- they strengthen us this season

- they strengthen us beyond this season

- they represent value for money 

The likes of Blackett-Taylor and Savage fit these 3 considerations, in my opinion, so no panic from me if we signed them. Another threat out wide with goals, assists and pace coming into his prime, and a young midfielder with potential and some small proof of pedigree who could replace the ageing legs we’ve had in midfield the last couple of years.

Given our aims for this season (promotion at all costs), I think most of our signings need to be (and will be) from groups 2 and 3. 

We need players who can make an impact NOW and get us out of this god forsaken league as soon as possible. Players who we know have top quality at this level. There’s little point at this stage wasting what little budget we’re allowed to spend on development players. That can come when we’re in the Championship, can spend more money, and are focused on re-establishing ourselves at that level. For now, all eyes have to be on the short term in my opinion. 

Couple of caveats here of course. Obviously I’m referring to first team signings here - we should still be making transfers at U21 level of players with potential, and I should hope there is a separate academy budget for this. Secondly, I’d agree with the OP that any player stepping down to league one should be on a short term deal only - as they’re clearly no longer good enough for the next level. Younger players who may be able to step up I’d be happy to sign permanently. Finally, this doesn’t mean it’s only older players who can help us right now - we really MUST look at the loan market too, as there will no doubt be youngsters at the big boys who can make a real impact in league one.