Curtis Davies

Curtains

4 hours ago, richinspain said:

Sorry, but I can't imagine any professional footballer getting sent off so as to not play against his old team (excepting tongue in cheek of course)

In the final game of the 1990-91 season we faced Luton at the BBG. We were bottom and already relegated. Luton and Sunderland, both former clubs of Mick Harford, were vying with Man City on the final day to stay up. Luton opened the scoring when Mick crashed a bullet header past a gobsmacked Peter Shilton for an own goal. The Hatters won 2-0 and stayed up with Man City, sending Sunderland down with us. We all questioned afterwards if Mick had purposely come to the rescue of his old club. Many dismissed the thought because a professional footballer would never do that surely? When he retired as a player, Mick admitted that he had done just that to help Luton avoid the drop.

26 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

In the final game of the 1990-91 season we faced Luton at the BBG. We were bottom and already relegated. Luton and Sunderland, both former clubs of Mick Harford, were vying with Man City on the final day to stay up. Luton opened the scoring when Mick crashed a bullet header past a gobsmacked Peter Shilton for an own goal. The Hatters won 2-0 and stayed up with Man City, sending Sunderland down with us. We all questioned afterwards if Mick had purposely come to the rescue of his old club. Many dismissed the thought because a professional footballer would never do that surely? When he retired as a player, Mick admitted that he had done just that to help Luton avoid the drop.

I'll add to this, when I was 14/15/16 and playing for Chesterfield the GK coach, Eric Steele, would often take me to train with the first team keepers at clubs that he trained keepers at like Wolves/Oxford/Barnsley during school holidays. I've sat in the first team dressing room at Oxford once, next to John Durnin, who was quite openly talking about how many bookings he needed to get Christmas off.

47 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

So rather than getting sent off he should be playing on Saturday so as to score a hat trick of own goals!

And yes, I remember it well.

Edited by richinspain
Added

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I think they also beat us 3-2 at the BBG in the last game of the 89/90 season to stay up on goal difference, if Mick Harford had scored a hat trick of own goals I don’t think anybody would have said anything to him 

On 04/10/2023 at 14:01, Brailsford Ram said:

Quite shocking if true. Corruption all across the game. Males you wonder about so much else that goes on.