Derby Co v Wigan: Player Ratings

Ellafella

2 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

On this scale defined by Ellafella it means below average. I don't think anyone was really s*** yesterday, so I'll wait until I see that before giving a rating which reflects that.

Yeah I did see that but 5 and 6 are both average on a 1 to 10 scale 5 is slightly mediocre but I think it would be hard to get many scores lower than 5 all season if players make big errors and get 5.

1Wildsmith - 5.5:  At fault for the 2nd, and seemed to struggle to communicate with the back 3.  Half a mark extra for the one on one save

35Nelson - 6:  Steady debut, distribution was inconsistent, great cross in 2nd half that Fozzy should've buried

5Bradley - 5:  Looked surprisingly nervous.  At fault for the 1st, should've scored from the 1st half corner

6Cashin - 5.5:  Looked a bit off the pace, distribution wasn't its usual quality.  

14Washington - 6:  Lively when he came on but would be better centrally than the wide left role he was tasked with

23Ward - 7:  Good debut, clearly better going forward, was a real threat in the 2nd half before he went off

2Wilson - 6.5:  Promising cameo, especially the first 5 mins or so

12Smith - 6:  Did ok but sometimes takes too long on the ball

8Bird - 6:  Some nice touches but largely ineffective

4Hourihane - 6:  Same as Bird

3Forsyth - 7:  Did well in the wingback role, great goal but coud and should have had at least 1 more

Elder - 6:  Did ok but clearly needs games

9Collins - 6.5:  Thought he did quite well in our build ups but not sure he is playing the role PW wants him to 

11Méndez-Laing - 6:  Decison making seems to be an issue in those central positions, great shot in the 1st half though

Thompson - 6:  

1 hour ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

5 is an okay rating for me, 5 means they weren't great but hardly bad. So I don't see how a player can gift the opposition a goal like Bradley did and get a 5, means they won't be many scores lower than 5 all season then. Since nobody tends to think about giving a 1 or 2 even if a player is really s*** I think it bumps up the ratings to make them abit more generous. 

@Marriot Ram99 6 is average. So a rating of 5 is below average. Most players get 6 so if the player has made a costly error it results in a mark docked ( hence 5). We try and get consistent ratings but obviously there are rater differences in thresholds ie a positive score (ie Derby win) usually serves to inflate raters’ scores eventhough performance of individual players may still have been average. So, there is inherent variability in rating or “noise” caused by bias on the part of raters. Hope that helps.

Wildsmith 6 - an extra point given for his excellent one on one save, and removed for his error for their winning goal

35Nelson 5 - looked shaky and a bit ponderous

5Bradley 5 - same as Nelson

6Cashin - 5 - same as Nelson and Bradley

14Washington - 5 didn't make an impact

23Ward - 6.5 nothing much first half, much better second half

2Wilson - 6 came on an added some excitement 

12Smith - 7 though on the whole he was our most effective player on the day 

8Bird - 5 Thought he played well first half, totally anonymous second

4Hourihane - 5 We need more, pedestrian for the last half hour 

3Forsyth - 6.5 Great goal, should have had a second. 

Elder - 6 not really any time to make an impact 

9Collins - 5 Some decent work outside the box, but wins nothing in it

11Méndez-Laing 6 in and out of the game, looked most likely to produce something

Thompson - 6 He came on. And according to the rules, when he steps on the pitch he's a six, so there we go.

9 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Half-marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore, when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 - that's the baseline. Also indicate ATG (at the game) or TV (Tv viewer).

1Wildsmith  5.5 one big mistake ultimately cost us the game

35Nelson  6

5Bradley  5.5 looked shaky after mistake

6Cashin  5.5 not his usual self

14Washington  6 looked lively

23Ward  6.5 good going forward, some suspect defending

2Wilson  6 looked lively, better decision making needed

12Smith  5.5

8Bird  5 found it tough

4Hourihane  5.5

3Forsyth  7 could of had a second goal

Elder  6 looks a steady Eddie

9Collins  6 worked hard, ultimately got frustrated

11Méndez-Laing  5.5 started well , then went missing

Thompson  6

1Wildsmith 5

35Nelson 5

5Bradley 5

6Cashin 5

14Washington 5

23Ward 7.5 daft decision to hook him

2Wilson 5 ….would’ve been higher but no end product. Could be signing of the season, could be Kamil mk II….let’s hope the former

12Smith 6

8Bird 6

4Hourihane 6.5

3Forsyth 7

Elder 6

9Collins 6.5

11Méndez-Laing 5

Thompson 6

ATG

1Wildsmith 5.5: very poor on the goal and not entirely convincing in everything else he did (although I previously thought he might have handled the ball outside the box once or twice - on reviewing the footage, I don't think he did, but it was heart-in-mouth time!)

35Nelson 7.5: one terrific block, generally good distribution; encouraging performance 

5Bradley 5.5: hard to excuse the mistake and looked a bit unconvincing, but confident he will come good

6Cashin 6: some good, some bad. Problem with taking up a left-wing-back position is (like Roberts for the first-half of last season) he doesn't appear to be able to cross the ball. Not a criticism of Cashin because I doubt he ever imagined he'd be expected to!

14Washington 6: thought he should have had more time on the pitch. Difficult to assess but worked hard.

23Ward 7.5: edged Nelson for MoM. Some excellent crossing. A bit vulnerable defensively though.

2Wilson 7: good trickery but nullified as his cameo went on. No early signs of any great crossing ability.

12Smith 6: started well but tailed off in terms of accuracy and influence.

8Bird 6: frustrating; found himself in relatively new positions but with less time than he had in pre-season. Hopefully he will get the hang of the position.

4Hourihane 6: gave what he had effort-wise but limited influence. Too often seemed to be slowing the game down when we wanted it sped up.

3Forsyth 7.5: can't argue with a goal, nearly a second, a decent effort in the first-half too, and good defending. Apparently not what Warne wants in a left-wing-back but a very good stand-in.

Elder 6: looked OK, didn't make much of a mark in the limited time he had, but on his way back from injury after all.

9Collins 6: worked hard (as always), linked up the play pretty well; unfortunate that his weak shot in the first half will be remembered more than anything else.

11Méndez-Laing 6: hit one fierce drive in the first-half and plenty of effort but not sure if he knows exactly what he should be doing at all times and it showed.

Thompson 6: limited time to have any influence but looked lively.

WAFC_HOME.thumb.jpg.bb4e39bbd73b361fc421c84e3e663feb.jpg

Analysis

Thanks to those of you (N:23) who provided ratings after the Wigan game. 

Joe Ward had the highest average rating at 6.96; Bradley had the lowest rating at 4.74. 

23 raters provided ratings. Average rating per player was 5.80 - 6 players attracted 5.8 or more and 9 players rated below this.

Modal rating was 6.0. Lowest aggregate rating was provided by gfs1ram (82.0) and highest jameso at 94.5 ; so a range of 12.5 between highest and lowest rating gives an idea of the different threshold applied by raters. 

The data will build as we go forward and I will provide more interesting data too eg SPC charts once we have enough observations.

More analysis to come too...

13 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Is there a key for the colour coding?

It’s a RAG (Red-Amber-Green) rating. Read it vertically ie by player rather than horizontally ( by rater). By player, it gives lower rating (Red) through middle (amber) than highest (Green). 
RAG ratings are old hat really. Once we get sufficient numbers we’ll start to produce SPC charts. 👍