A new daily game. Name the year & opponents of a famous Rams match

admira

57 minutes ago, admira said:

61. Year, opponents, memories. 3-3. 

A517DA51-C2B2-4212-B253-0BF2BB8A1315.png

Looks like home to Sheff Wed, last game of the season 20-21 (so 2021).

Obvious relief to have scraped survival. With six games to go I had told my son I thought we’d lose all 6 (bracing him for relegation!) - this was the only one we didn’t lose! 

Fozzie has been great most of his DCFC career but he had a stinker in this one - involved in all 3 Wednesday goals one way or another.

Waggy on form and Roberts’ goal was a good’un.

I absolutely despise that Wednesday game. It's the biggest gulf I've ever had between how I should feel and how I actually did feel after a game. We'd taken 6 points from a possible 42 and somehow survival was still in our own hands, win the game, be heroes. Simple. We couldn't even manage that, relying on a Cardiff equaliser against Rotherham. But we survived, so people were celebrating wildly. There was nothing to celebrate. A crap performance, from a crap team, to top off a crap season.

62. For the next ten days, I'll be posting games that are known for their significance or for a talking point.

Year, opponents and what it's known for? 6.3 away win. Goals not necessarily in the correct order.

image.png.d01040d713e07a843c5d02954232e980.png

Edited by admira

23 minutes ago, Anon said:

I absolutely despise that Wednesday game. It's the biggest gulf I've ever had between how I should feel and how I actually did feel after a game. We'd taken 6 points from a possible 42 and somehow survival was still in our own hands, win the game, be heroes. Simple. We couldn't even manage that, relying on a Cardiff equaliser against Rotherham. But we survived, so people were celebrating wildly. There was nothing to celebrate. A crap performance, from a crap team, to top off a crap season.

And in an empty stadium to boot.

1 minute ago, admira said:

62. For this week, I'll be posting games that are known for their significance or for a talking point.

Year, opponents and what it's known for? 6.3 away win. Goals not necessarily in the correct order.

Someone posted an image of the teamsheet of this game maybe a year or so ago and I remember the two Placketts. I think it's either Preston or Bolton away in our first game of the first proper national league (whatever it was called in those days!) 

Presumably not in our first year (?) and I have an urge to say 1893. So I'll go for Bolton away, 1893.

I await correction from someone who was there 😜

7 minutes ago, admira said:

62. For the next ten days, I'll be posting games that are known for their significance or for a talking point.

I could be a million miles away here, but was this our first ever league fixture? I think we played Bolton Wanderers away 1888.

Edit - year completely wrong, having seen the post above.

Edited by Anon

6 minutes ago, jameso said:

Someone posted an image of the teamsheet of this game maybe a year or so ago and I remember the two Placketts. I think it's either Preston or Bolton away in our first game of the first proper national league (whatever it was called in those days!) 

Presumably not in our first year (?) and I have an urge to say 1893. So I'll go for Bolton away, 1893.

I await correction from someone who was there 😜

I was rather put out because George Bakewell turned out in a pair of scandalously short knickers. I caught a glimpse of his knee at one point and felt quite faint.

22 minutes ago, Anon said:

I was rather put out because George Bakewell turned out in a pair of scandalously short knickers. I caught a glimpse of his knee at one point and felt quite faint.

Incredible that they should go on to name a town after him despite such shenanigans.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

I could be a million miles away here, but was this our first ever league fixture? I think we played Bolton Wanderers away 1888.

Edit - year completely wrong, having seen the post above.

Yes 8th September 1888. Rams were 3-0 down.

A fun bit of football trivia, not Derby related but from that same season.

Stoke lost their first ever game 2-0. Ever since, their accumulative goal difference has been a negative. Add it to the list of things as to why Stoke City are an incredibly depressing team to follow.

3 minutes ago, admira said:

63. Year, opponents and talking point. 4-0.

image.png.a66c03e1749aeaebc90fc419f961c35b.png

Out of my depth here but I think it's the one where the penalty spot had to be painted. Judging by the players could it be 1977? And my memory (from the video, since this pre-dates my entry into the world) is that we were playing a team in blue. Could be an away kit but I'll go for Man City.

In sum: Man City (home) 1977

34 minutes ago, jameso said:

Out of my depth here but I think it's the one where the penalty spot had to be painted. Judging by the players could it be 1977? And my memory (from the video, since this pre-dates my entry into the world) is that we were playing a team in blue. Could be an away kit but I'll go for Man City.

In sum: Man City (home) 1977

Spot on (if you'll excuse the pun).

Edited by admira

3 minutes ago, admira said:

Spot on (if you'll excuse the pun).

I've clearly been missing a trick these last few weeks. I need to concentrate on the ones that happened before I was born and about which I'm quite dubious 🤣