A new daily game. Name the year & opponents of a famous Rams match

admira

15 minutes ago, admira said:

75. Year, opponents and memories. 2-3 at the end of 90 minutes. 

21170466-E66C-452A-8920-32D9E86C3EA8.png

Presumably it’s the play-off semi second leg, 2007, though I can’t picture either goal (and Leon Best wasn’t then a Rams legend!)

Idiakez missed a pen in the shootout (the decisive one?)

Rasiak also played against us (did he take a pen? Surely, if he was still on the pitch?)

I feel a nostalgic YouTube moment around the corner…

1 hour ago, admira said:

I went on the pitch at the end in the pouring rain and got soaked. @Pikeyram drove us back to Ipswich afterwards with the window open to keep him awake as it was pretty late after the penalties.  It sure how I didn’t get pneumonia! 

I don’t normally have too much sympathy for away fans but that was torrential rain during and especially just after the game and we were soaked through just walking back to Chad and then a 20 mile drive. Driving back to Southampton after a defeat (win) like that must have been horrendous.

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

1994. Millwall. That playoff game.

Note the substitutes - Derby's black players taken off for their own safety. 

That was a night both on and off the pitch.

Didn't get home until 4am ish. Missus wanted to know where i had been all that time.

Didn't believe me at the time and probably still doesn't

23 minutes ago, I DONT MIND said:

That was a night both on and off the pitch.

Didn't get home until 4am ish. Missus wanted to know where i had been all that time.

Didn't believe me at the time and probably still doesn't

On a lighter note, I recall that the ref gave them a penalty, then took the players off and by the time they were back on, he'd decided it was a goal kick after all.

That must have cheered them up no end. Even more than watching their team wilt under pressure and make a complete pig's ear of everything.

58 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Man Utd at home, final of the Texaco Trophy, 1969? Memories, I've only seen the highlights on Youtube, but what a team that became!

1 hour ago, admira said:

77. Year, opponents and memories. 

image.png.ba108c7925cd5efd7ab942c97526c415.png

Watney Cup Final 8/8/1970 The only competition i have been to every game that Derby Played, including the 1st one at Fulham.

I believe the competition was the first one to decide ties on Penalties.

Red Hot day, we only qualified because we weren't allowed to be in Europe as we had been naughty boys and upset the EFL. (nothing changes eh)

3 hours ago, I DONT MIND said:

Watney Cup Final 8/8/1970 The only competition i have been to every game that Derby Played, including the 1st one at Fulham.

I believe the competition was the first one to decide ties on Penalties.

Red Hot day, we only qualified because we weren't allowed to be in Europe as we had been naughty boys and upset the EFL. (nothing changes eh)

Watney Cup. I thought when writing that I had got it wrong.

1 hour ago, admira said:

78. Year, opponents and memories. 4-3 away win.

image.png.73ac7d55d603aa40dcdb11e013f7f75a.png

It's Watford away but I'm not sure of the year... I'll go 1994 because of Cowans.

I always remembered this as being a comeback from 1-3 down at HT, but I saw the goals a while back and I don't think we ever were 1-3 down (possibly 2-3 though).

16 minutes ago, admira said:

79. Year, opponents and memories. 0-1 home defeat.

image.png.89eebd42319184f6077e648a37cac3d7.png

Plymouth Argyle. FA Cup quarter final replay, 1983? Possibly the worst night in the Rams history(until uncle Mel interfered). A loss at home to a third division team, with a goal direct from a corner. On leaving the ground we found out that we were being shut down by the high court for debts of around a couple of million. Luckily (💩) the Maxwells were about to save the day. 

ps let's be honest, we had a few fantastic years from that point onwards until Captain Bob gave Uncle Mel a few ideas for further down the line.

2 hours ago, richinspain said:

Plymouth Argyle. FA Cup quarter final replay, 1983? Possibly the worst night in the Rams history(until uncle Mel interfered). A loss at home to a third division team, with a goal direct from a corner. On leaving the ground we found out that we were being shut down by the high court for debts of around a couple of million. Luckily (💩) the Maxwells were about to save the day. 

ps let's be honest, we had a few fantastic years from that point onwards until Captain Bob gave Uncle Mel a few ideas for further down the line.

Walking out the ground that night was the saddest moment of my football life, can still "feel" it when i think about it today.

All i can remember through the sadness was hearing the Big Country song "Chance" on the way out of the ground.

Just summed up what we were all feeling on masse.

Edited by I DONT MIND

3 hours ago, richinspain said:

Close but it was 1984.