Rooney commits future

Scott129

Jake Rooney has committed his future to Derby County after putting pen-to-paper on a new contract.

The 19-year-old defender has signed a new three-year deal which will run until the summer of 2026.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/07/rooney-agrees-new-derby-deal-2023-july

Do we think he will have an increased role in the team this season? Or is this just a pre-cursor to being sent out on loan?

Either way, I'm pleased with this one. Very composed for a young lad and I think he'll have a decent career ahead of him.

Edited by Scott129

Nelson, Bradley, Cashin you would assume are the nailed in back 3, which leaves Forsyth and Rooney as back up, Rooney being CB 5 if you like.

Also gives us the added cover in a defensive midfield role where needed so no, can't see him going out on loan straight away.

January, if he's had limited game time, might see him go out.

4 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Jake Rooney has committed his future to Derby County after putting pen-to-paper on a new contract.

The 19-year-old defender has signed a new three-year deal which will run until the summer of 2026.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/07/rooney-agrees-new-derby-deal-2023-july

Do we think he will have an increased role in the team this season? Or is this just a pre-cursor to being sent out on loan again?

Either way, I'm pleased with this one. Very composed for a young lad and I think he'll have a decent career ahead of him.

I'd keep him. He's filled in admirably when called upon and if we are playing three centre backs we will need good cover in that area. I'd play him in all cup matches and have him cover the first team as needed across the season. If we keep him and Cashin around for long enough they could be a mainstay of our defense together one day.

6 minutes ago, David said:

Nelson, Bradley, Cashin you would assume are the nailed in back 3, which leaves Forsyth and Rooney as back up, Rooney being CB 5 if you like.

Also gives us the added cover in a defensive midfield role where needed so no, can't see him going out on loan straight away.

At the time or writing I'd say this is spot on. Realistic target should be come the end of the season be CB 4 and pushing for a starting role within the next 2 seasons.

I rate him and like the pace of which he is developing. 

10 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, would agree on the starters there, but the back-up/rotation is certainly weaker.

Would you be tempted to bring another CB in? On loan perhaps.

Just now, Scott129 said:

Yeah, would agree on the starters there, but the back-up/rotation is certainly weaker.

Would you be tempted to bring another CB in? On loan perhaps.

Warne spoke about having 22 first team players, not sure how another CB fits in with that without limiting attacking options, which you would hope are on the menu next.

I'd be looking to play him at defensive midfield for u23s (or even send him out on loan to play that position) and get him used to that role. He reads the game better than any 19 year old I've ever seen, he keeps play really simple and he rarely gives the ball away. He needs to develop his strength and he could be an absolute star.

Excellent move to extend his deal.