Interrailing tips.

Rev

Hi all, 

Rev Jr and a mate are setting off on a European journey next Thursday, starting in Krakow. 

They've already booked a visit to Auschwicz and the salt mine while in Poland, but have no firm plans for any of the other city's, apart from an Idles gig in Vienna.

The planned iternary following on from there is Budapest, Vienna, Prague, Berlin, Hamburg, Amsterdam, spending 2/3 nights in each, before ending with a few days in Paris.

Any ideas of the must sees, don't bother seeing, and any other tips for those cities, or possible diversions along the way would be most welcome.

We're a well travelled bunch on here, so any genuine advice would be appreciated. 

If you’re in Vienna, you should take a trip to Bratislava. Another city and country to check off. Two closest capital cities in Europe, and a really nice old town on the Danube. Circa 45-60min and €20 on the train.

I wasn’t enamoured with Budapest, I have to say. Wasn’t what I was expecting at all for some reason. 

Berlin is brilliant. So much to see and a lot of museums etc can be free too. 

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

If you’re in Vienna, you should take a trip to Bratislava. Another city and country to check off. Two closest capital cities in Europe, and a really nice old town on the Danube. Circa 45-60min and €20 on the train.

I wasn’t enamoured with Budapest, I have to say. Wasn’t what I was expecting at all for some reason. 

Berlin is brilliant. So much to see and a lot of museums etc can be free too. 

Thanks. 

They looked at stopping in Bratislava, as its on the way to Budapest from Poland, but it would've used up an extra day on the pass, and they're on the sleeper train.

I'll let them know it's only 1hr on the train from Vienna, and pretty cheap too.

8 hours ago, Rev said:

Hi all, 

Rev Jr and a mate are setting off on a European journey next Thursday, starting in Krakow. 

They've already booked a visit to Auschwicz and the salt mine while in Poland, but have no firm plans for any of the other city's, apart from an Idles gig in Vienna.

The planned iternary following on from there is Budapest, Vienna, Prague, Berlin, Hamburg, Amsterdam, spending 2/3 nights in each, before ending with a few days in Paris.

Any ideas of the must sees, don't bother seeing, and any other tips for those cities, or possible diversions along the way would be most welcome.

We're a well travelled bunch on here, so any genuine advice would be appreciated. 

Rev Jr is Louie Sibley and I claim my £5.

On 30/06/2023 at 23:29, Rev said:

Hi all, 

Budapest, Prague, Hamburg and Amsterdam are all places I have been invited to on stag weekends. Pretty girls, beer, and easily available drugs abound. I am pretty sure there are other attractions, but after 2 days in each city I really can’t offer any cultural alternatives.

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

If they are doing Auschwitz they might also like to visit the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam. I found it a really moving place to visit. My tip would be to go early in the morning. It gets very busy.

That's why this was there 🙄

https://news.sky.com/story/auschwitz-criticises-tasteless-ice-cream-stand-set-up-on-land-outside-death-gate-12879788

Looks like he's doing a well trodden interrail route. Did similar routes about 10 years a go. If he's as broke as I was it was supermarket beers in the hostels, ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch and a kebab for dinner with the odd nice meal thrown in..

Only tip would be avoid Vienna on a Sunday. Unless it's changed nothing was really open.

Edited by alexxxxx

On 30/06/2023 at 23:29, Rev said:

Hi all, 

Try to do Auschwicz at your own pace, the guided tours whizz you round too quickly. To get some context there is a great Jewish Museum in the Jewish Quarter that details what life was like pre 1934. It was a long journey.

On a lighter note there is a pinball museum with 50 machines amdbod school arcade games which are all free when you pay the fiver to get in. It also has a bar.

2 hours ago, sage said:

Try to do Auschwicz at your own pace, the guided tours whizz you round too quickly. To get some context there is a great Jewish Museum in the Jewish Quarter that details what life was like pre 1934. It was a long journey.

On a lighter note there is a pinball museum with 50 machines amdbod school arcade games which are all free when you pay the fiver to get in. It also has a bar.

Thanks, he went to the salt mines yesterday, and is currently on route to Auschwicz now. 

I've sent him links to the two museums, he passes on his thanks.

The Schindler museum is worth looking at.

Baltic amber is worth getting if he has someone to buy jewellery for.

A drink at the top of the Jubilat is worth it for the views.

I found the boat tours on the Wistula a bit pricey but the kids liked it.

Listening to the bugler in the square and then finding out more about why he stops suddenly is worth it.

Museum of communism in Prague is good, as is a look at the castle. If the paratrooper pub is open then I'd visit, there is also the crypt where they last held out. Hiring a bike was worth doing as you can see more of the city 

33 minutes ago, dog said:

Museum of communism in Prague is good, as is a look at the castle. If the paratrooper pub is open then I'd visit, there is also the crypt where they last held out. Hiring a bike was worth doing as you can see more of the city 

Thanks @dog, he's on his way to Prague tomorrow, where they'll be joined by a few pals out for the weekend, I'll pass on the recommendations.

Last time we were in Prague, we had a taxi driver for the journey back to the airport, who heard our English accents and insisted on showing us the church where an English priest had sheltered local rebels during the insurrection against the Soviet occupation, complete with bullet holes in the church walls!

Truly a great city to visit, beer, history, beauty and more beer.

1 hour ago, sage said:

@Rev how is howr lad getting on? Where is he now?

He's on his second full day in Berlin.

I think the heat is getting to him a bit, not the easiest weather to be sightseeing in, he's pretty much halfway through now.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

He's on his second full day in Berlin.

I think the heat is getting to him a bit, not the easiest weather to be sightseeing in, he's pretty much halfway through now.

Where is he off to next in case he needs any more tips. Hamburg?

Edited by sage

1 hour ago, sage said:

Where is he off to next in case he needs any more tips. Hamburg?

Hamburg tomorrow for 3 days.

Bad planning means he leaves the same day St Pauli have a pre season home match, and can't change his plans as friends are meeting him in Amsterdam.

4 minutes ago, Rev said:

Hamburg tomorrow for 3 days.

Bad planning means he leaves the same day St Pauli have a pre season home match, and can't change his plans as friends are meeting him in Amsterdam.

Football v Brownies and Shop Windows. It's a tricky one.