Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

5 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Just been looking at the U21 fixture list, does anybody know what The Central League is?

image.thumb.png.0f6b75d892645f20f9636beb7dc92674.png

Tagged: @ExiledinDerby, @Ghost of Clough, @RoyMac5, @angieram

Source: https://www.dcfc.co.uk/fixtures?team=32&competition=&season=&home_away=&display=

Not really! Mick Derby told me we had entered it as well as PL2. It is usually reserve teams of clubs that don't have academies - Mansfield, Blackpool etc. 

Maybe can play more of a mix of over-age players and also give our under 21s a better feel of the types of teams we are currently playing than just playing Prem academies? 

There's a list of teams in it here: 

https://www.fastscore.com/england/central-league

18 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Just been looking at the U21 fixture list, does anybody know what The Central League is?

image.thumb.png.0f6b75d892645f20f9636beb7dc92674.png

Tagged: @ExiledinDerby, @Ghost of Clough, @RoyMac5, @angieram

Source: https://www.dcfc.co.uk/fixtures?team=32&competition=&season=&home_away=&display=

It's just a reserve league. I imagine it's to give the U21s more fixtures throughout the season which will allow them to keep match fit if needed for the first team

11 hours ago, angieram said:. 

Maybe can play more of a mix of over-age players and also give our under 21s a better feel of the types of teams we are currently playing than just playing Prem academies?

Yes @angieram this. It’s more like an old fashioned old reserves League especially for those teams that don’t have a u21 side in PL2 or the development leagues below it. 

It will be good for the u21s to come up against some Wiley old pros which they wouldn’t really get unless out on loan and will fill the gaps when PL2 don’t have games.

We may use it occasionally to “blood” some u18s because looking at the squads I don’t think there will be much movement between them until at least Xmas. 

On a side note it should be a good strength team against Leicester in PL2 tomorrow.

Radcliffe, Brown, Johnson, Bardell, Weston, Lindsay should all feature with the triallists still in the building. 

Also Evans’ loan now finished at Coalville as they have sorted their GK issues…. believe that club are not happy and feel like they and Evans have been taken for a ride….

27 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Yes @angieram this. It’s more like an old fashioned old reserves League especially for those teams that don’t have a u21 side in PL2 or the development leagues below it. 

It will be good for the u21s to come up against some Wiley old pros which they wouldn’t really get unless out on loan and will fill the gaps when PL2 don’t have games.

We may use it occasionally to “blood” some u18s because looking at the squads I don’t think there will be much movement between them until at least Xmas. 

Is that because squads have been replenished and Xmas is when players start to get released? 

39 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Is that because squads have been replenished and Xmas is when players start to get released? 

Absolutely that’s it. We have in my opinion 2 competitive squads again now and whilst it remains about development the club don’t want another season like last year at youth level.. 

2 hours ago, ExiledinDerby said:

On a side note it should be a good strength team against Leicester in PL2 tomorrow.

Radcliffe, Brown, Johnson, Bardell, Weston, Lindsay should all feature with the triallists still in the building. 

Also Evans’ loan now finished at Coalville as they have sorted their GK issues…. believe that club are not happy and feel like they and Evans have been taken for a ride….

If from what I have read between the lines last week is anywhere near correct, I think that Coalville treated him disgracefully. I hope in future the club has no further dealings with Coalville and Derby are more diligent  in scrutinising the suitability of a club they wish to entrust with our young assets. The loanee club need to understand they have a duty of care and respect. 

Edited by Brailsford Ram

53 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Just saw they signed a keeper from Scotland, but he couldn't be registered in time so they signed someone else from Rushden & Diamonds and played him... 😐

Exactly that. I am quite familiar with that League; I watch Derby home and away but on the occasions that Mickleover play when Derby don't have a game, I go to watch them, including away games within reasonable reach. Some of the teams are managed and coached by professionals with an extensive EFL playing background and who have passed their UEFA coaching badges; Mickleover for instance are managed by John McGrath with Pablo Mills as coach and they will clearly know the responsibility of managing a young professional. Many of the sides are managed by coaches whose entire playing careers were at local level. Coalville are one. Nothing wrong with that but do they come near to understanding how to treat young professionals? I don't know the answer but I beg the question.

Coalville looked nailed on to win that League last season but chucked it away on the run-in and then lost in the play-off semi-final. Their first choice keeper is suspended for the first six games for misconduct towards a referee. They signed a keeper from Scotland but couldn't play him because his international clearance through UEFA was incomplete. So, at short notice, Harry Evans went there on loan. He made his debut at Stourbridge and Coalville lost 4-2. The local report said that for one of the goals Harry was caught out of position. He was but it's what happens to all keepers from time to time. His mistake was less than the margin of defeat and to be honest, the defence in front of him didn't look too solid. I've seen the goals online. His mistake was no worse than Joe Wildsmith's for Wigan's second goal. Wildsmith played against Burton yesterday but Harry came back to Derby because Coalville signed a keeper on loan from Rushden to replace him. It sounds like a farce and unless I'm missing something, I think we should be grateful that he's safely back home.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

12 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Exactly that. I am quite familiar with that League; I watch Derby home and away but on the occasions that Mickleover play when Derby don't have a game, I go to watch them, including away games within reasonable reach. Some of the teams are managed and coached by professionals with an extensive EFL playing background and who have passed their UEFA coaching badges; Mickleover for instance are managed by John McGrath with Pablo Mills as coach and they will clearly know the responsibility of managing a young professional. Many of the sides are managed by coaches whose entire playing careers were at local level. Coalville are one. Nothing wrong with that but do they come near to understanding how to treat young professionals? I don't know the answer but I beg the question.

Coalville looked nailed on to win that League last season but chucked it away on the run-in and then lost in the play-off semi-final. Their first choice keeper is suspended for the first six games for misconduct towards a referee. They signed a keeper from Scotland but couldn't play him because his international clearance through UEFA was incomplete. So, at short notice, Harry Evans went there on loan. He made his debut at Stourbridge and Coalville lost 4-2. The local report said that for one of the goals Harry was caught out of position. He was but it's what happens to all keepers from time to time. His mistake was less than the margin of defeat and to be honest, the defence in front of him didn't look too solid. I've seen the goals online. His mistake was no worse than Joe Wildsmith's for Wigan's second goal. Wildsmith played against Burton yesterday but Harry came back to Derby because Coalville signed a keeper on loan from Rushden to replace him. It sounds like a farce and unless I'm missing something, I think we should be grateful that he's safely back home.

I completely agree, and I'm always surprised by the short sightedness of things like this. I know managers have to think short term as jobs don't last long, but you'd have thought a team like Coalville would want to be in a position to loan youngsters from us again in the future. Treating Evans badly, if that's how the academy feel its gone down, will mean I'd be surprised of they get loans from us again in a while 

Mickleover are a great club for loans, similar to Belper with Burton.

If I was a non league local club I'd get a regular partnership with local league teams and agree for loans for the GK's on a seasaon by season basis, as a GK coach and ex semi-pro keeper myself who played semi-pro from 16 I recognise the absolute importance of playing senior football in the development of a keeper, the difference from playing against pro-clubs U16's to getting a big sod from Stavely MW crashing into you was an eye opener, plus my theory is that technically GK's are ALL very similar, its the psychological make up and ability to react to adverse situations that makes a goalkeeper elite, you will only get that in a competitive environment. Obv depending on locality I may also have the keeper back one or two days a week to work with the parent clubs GK coaches.

Anyway, hoping someone can help in here, does anyone know what Palace offered/gave for Ebiowei?

1 hour ago, Mick Harford said:

Mickleover are a great club for loans, similar to Belper with Burton.

If I was a non league local club I'd get a regular partnership with local league teams and agree for loans for the GK's on a seasaon by season basis, as a GK coach and ex semi-pro keeper myself who played semi-pro from 16 I recognise the absolute importance of playing senior football in the development of a keeper, the difference from playing against pro-clubs U16's to getting a big sod from Stavely MW crashing into you was an eye opener, plus my theory is that technically GK's are ALL very similar, its the psychological make up and ability to react to adverse situations that makes a goalkeeper elite, you will only get that in a competitive environment. Obv depending on locality I may also have the keeper back one or two days a week to work with the parent clubs GK coaches.

Anyway, hoping someone can help in here, does anyone know what Palace offered/gave for Ebiowei?

The figure suggested was just over £1m as I recall, similar to what they agreed for Plange.

Team tonight 

Evans

Bardell.      Johnson.   Cox.     Triallist

Fapetu.      Radcliffe.    Weston

Lindsay.              Brown.           Triallist. 

13 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Team tonight 

Evans

Bardell.      Johnson.   Cox.     Triallist

Fapetu.      Radcliffe.    Weston

Lindsay.              Brown.           Triallist. 

A big like for 4-3-3 😄 #COYR