Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

15 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

60 minutes for TJJ? It's occurred to me that he and Dajaune are pretty much like for like which will likely lead to further angst. I feel like we definitely have some youth worth looking at, but the clammer to start academy products outside of the cup games I don't really get, especially when we appear to be on a roll right now. Hopefully we get a few more games where Warne feels safe enough to give them some minutes, if not starts.

Don't think there's been a clamour for starts, but for involvement? Sure. If you're 4-0 up and you're bringing on Collins instead of Brown, it is a little puzzling. I think we see some attributes the established players lack, and wonder why some of the younger players aren't being used more to help fill those gaps - pace, athleticism etc. Maybe if JJ can stay fit and be used, Fornah keeps his place and Wilson plays more, it won't be quite as desperate of a situation.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

6 hours ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Agree should be used more but Warne is under too much pressure to go up this year and won’t gamble on youth but then if we do go up the pressure will be to stay up and again he or whoever won’t gamble again…

It‘a not right but fan pressure all adds to it. I think if we stay in L1 this year (sorry to be a downer but it may happen..) then I think budgets will be so tight that we will see increased use of academy players. 

I think this is a part of it. I do wonder whether we should change what we consider success. It’s not like we’re ever going to win the Premier League. Highly unlikely we’ll ever finish top 10 in the top division ever again.

Begs the question: what are we striving for? Maybe we should strive to be as good as possible with minimum 5 academy grads in each starting 11. If that ends up in the Prem, great. If we end up staying in League 1, so be it. 

Obviously this is completely hypothetical but I think it would be a novel interesting way for the club to operate 

On 29/11/2023 at 20:17, Comrade 86 said:

60 minutes for TJJ? It's occurred to me that he and Dajaune are pretty much like for like which will likely lead to further angst. I feel like we definitely have some youth worth looking at, but the clammer to start academy products outside of the cup games I don't really get, especially when we appear to be on a roll right now. Hopefully we get a few more games where Warne feels safe enough to give them some minutes, if not starts.

No they are not JJ is a fluid mover whilst Djuanne is slower in the box. Scores penos but not him him move like JJ for his goal.