Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

15 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Whatmough is a good player and great prospect. I would assume he’s going to the Championship though.

If we signed a CB (unlikely) then I imagine we would loan Rooney out. 

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Unless we moved Forsyth back to LWB, meaning we no longer need an extra wing back

He hasn't got the legs for that other than as a late sub to shore things up

2 hours ago, McMuffin said:

McGrath only played 4 games for Wigan in 2 years so probably not good enough but they seem gutted about Whatmough 

Do we need another CB? I would say yes personally but have we got the budget for another one and the other positions we need?

Regarding McGrath he only had 4 appearances because he was on loan at Dundee United where he got 9 goals in 37 games. He’d be a great player at this level and would add goals to the squad.

Has played 8 times for Ireland nearly all appearances coming in one of the 2 10 roles behind the striker - very similar position to where Warne would want to play him.

He’s 26 and has good work rate for a high press so I think would be a perfect addition.

7 minutes ago, DesertRam said:

A player I've always been impressed with is Marc Albrighton, he's 33

now but would be fantastic as a season long loan from Leicester.

Don't think he's had much game time under current manager!!

He's 33?! I swear he's been 33 for the last 6 years!

4 hours ago, DesertRam said:

Shame he's more of a right sided player, otherwise he would be ideal as a option at left wing back.

6 hours ago, DesertRam said:

I think we're drinking at a very different pub these days youth. We're less Revs and more The Seven Stars these days.

6 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Regarding McGrath he only had 4 appearances because he was on loan at Dundee United where he got 9 goals in 37 games. He’d be a great player at this level and would add goals to the squad.

Has played 8 times for Ireland nearly all appearances coming in one of the 2 10 roles behind the striker - very similar position to where Warne would want to play him.

He’s 26 and has good work rate for a high press so I think would be a perfect addition.

Yes not bad actually you would think he would be ok for league 1.

IMG_8815.png

6 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Joe Hugil from Man Utd is someone I wouldn't mind for the season. 

6'2, scores for fun at youth level and would benefit everyone with a loan move I'd imagine.

1 goal in 7 games in the National League last season and that’s about it in senior football so far. I doubt United would loan him out if he wasn’t guaranteed football, and he wouldn’t be guaranteed that here. He played in the young United side that lost to Wrexham in the US a couple of days ago so it doesn’t look like he’s close to going out anywhere just yet anyway.

10 minutes ago, Kernow said:

1 goal in 7 games in the National League last season and that’s about it in senior football so far. I doubt United would loan him out if he wasn’t guaranteed football, and he wouldn’t be guaranteed that here. He played in the young United side that lost to Wrexham in the US a couple of days ago so it doesn’t look like he’s close to going out anywhere just yet anyway.

Out of curiosity, how many goals Martyn Waghorn scored since leaving in 2021? 

Plus Mcclaren could put in a nice word about us to get some United talent, surely? 

5 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Out of curiosity, how many goals Martyn Waghorn scored since leaving in 2021? 

Plus Mcclaren could put in a nice word about us to get some United talent, surely? 

Sorry, what’s the relevance in Waghorn? We’re talking about a 19 year old that scored once in the National League.

9 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Half way through a normal football career and hardly played and I would suggest that Sibley has a better chance of progressing in that role if given it properly?

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Half way through a normal football career and hardly played and I would suggest that Sibley has a better chance of progressing in that role if given it properly?

Hardly played ? He has around 300 professional games at 26.

4 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Sorry, what’s the relevance in Waghorn? We’re talking about a 19 year old that scored once in the National League.

You've stated Hugil only scored once/didn't do a great deal at non league.

But I'll flip the coin and say the same about Liam Thompson when he went out on loan last season - Yet I'd argue he's been one of the standouts during pre season for us.

I've mentioned Waghorn because he isn't the answer moving forward - We are fixated with ex players for some reason, ex players who have never actually achieved a thing here but fans would still have them back however old they are (don't get me started on Chris Martin).

We need an exciting talent a'la El Hamdaoui, Thorne, Jordan Ibe. Someone whose raw and a relative unknown who'll offer something different and will have something to prove, whether that be with the parent club or themselves.

No more past it 33 year olds

Just now, Papahet said:

You've stated Hugil only scored once/didn't do a great deal at non league.

But I'll flip the coin and say the same about Liam Thompson when he went out on loan last season - Yet I'd argue he's been one of the standouts during pre season for us.

I've mentioned Waghorn because he isn't the answer moving forward - We are fixated with ex players for some reason, ex players who have never actually achieved a thing here but fans would still have them back however old they are (don't get me started on Chris Martin).

We need an exciting talent a'la El Hamdaoui, Thorne, Jordan Ibe. Someone whose raw and a relative unknown who'll offer something different and will have something to prove, whether that be with the parent club or themselves.

No more past it 33 year olds

The point was I don’t think scoring 1 in 7 at National League level warrants a jump to the top of League 1 just yet, and he wouldn’t be a guaranteed starter which is surely quite important to the parent club when deciding where to send a player. 

I never mentioned Waghorn, but he would suit us better right now if it was a choice between someone like Hugill and him.