Football White Paper

ram59

Based on what I've heard so far, it's nothing but lip services - nothing real will ever come of this.

The Premier League earns 80% of the revenue? Yes, because it's marketed itself as an international league and now any person in any country can watch almost any game that is played. Obviously, this is heavily favoured towards the top 6 clubs because who really with no ties to the community of a club doesn't just go for a team who is a) successful, by that I mean in the Champions League which is a beast upon itself, or b) with their favourite players. 

The print in black and white is that the EFL want to cover a £400m shortfall that owners are now covering to make it sustainable - no doubt the plan will be for the Premier League to cover that gap. The EFL is already heavily subsidised by the Premier League, ironically in the most ludicrous way that spoils the competition of it's own league. 

The only way the Premier League pony up £400m, in the owners of Premier League sides, is a closed league that protects their interest. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a dressed up 'project big picture' slightly rewritten. All the noise certainly looks to be heading in that direction. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Read this recent letter from Rick Parry to the government White Paper committee. 

The period of time he is talking about is when Mel Morris was throwing money at the problem and was still not able to get us over the line.

The system was inherently unfair, and it's getting worse. Don't believe the Premier League and their lackies in the press when they dismiss this.

Why is this important to us? Because we want to be that club competing to get into the Premier League. If things don't change, we'll be doing it with both hands tied behind our backs. 

Edited by angieram

As much as I dislike the way the EFL handled our case, credit where credit is due, they have finally realised the damage parachute payments are causing and highlighting it to the government.

The Premier League are only interested in the Premier League, that much is clear, they don’t give a toss about the rest of the football pyramid other than ensuring the gulf between the 2 leagues doesn’t get too big and encouraging clubs to go for it risking the future of the club with the golden pay day on relegation incentive.

Absolutely no way they can justify the payments, we can adjust rules to allow clubs to fall inline with FFP without handing out what, £30m a season or whatever it is now.

Sky Sports isn’t the worst thing to happen to football, the breakaway of the Premier League was.

Football needs one governing body that has an interest in sustainability from top to bottom. This will ruffle feathers at the very top as they claim to be unable to compete in Europe, yet Europe would follow I’m sure of it. Look at La Liga who are starting to apply pressure on Barca restricting what they can do. 

Premier League clubs are leading the way in spending and it will only get worse unless someone comes in and takes control, if that means losing 5 or 6 clubs to a closed shop Super League, so be it. We’re at the point where we can no longer let them dictate how the game is run and who gets what money. 

1 hour ago, David said:

As much as I dislike the way the EFL handled our case, credit where credit is due, they have finally realised the damage parachute payments are causing and highlighting it to the government.

The Premier League are only interested in the Premier League, that much is clear, they don’t give a toss about the rest of the football pyramid other than ensuring the gulf between the 2 leagues doesn’t get too big and encouraging clubs to go for it risking the future of the club with the golden pay day on relegation incentive.

Absolutely no way they can justify the payments, we can adjust rules to allow clubs to fall inline with FFP without handing out what, £30m a season or whatever it is now.

Sky Sports isn’t the worst thing to happen to football, the breakaway of the Premier League was.

Football needs one governing body that has an interest in sustainability from top to bottom. This will ruffle feathers at the very top as they claim to be unable to compete in Europe, yet Europe would follow I’m sure of it. Look at La Liga who are starting to apply pressure on Barca restricting what they can do. 

Premier League clubs are leading the way in spending and it will only get worse unless someone comes in and takes control, if that means losing 5 or 6 clubs to a closed shop Super League, so be it. We’re at the point where we can no longer let them dictate how the game is run and who gets what money. 

Yet again I say the EFL can introduce a handicap system for clubs accepting parachute payments - minus 16 points should be about fair - all they need to do is vote it in