On- line Fraud

FindernRam

I was advised today by South Staffs water that my identity details held by them were stolen back in August. Today I spent several hours adding extra security markers to my bank accounts, Credit reference agencies and the UK antifraud scheme.

Total pain and a small cost that I shouldn't have to go through.

So far I'm O.K, but if you are a SSW customer I suggest you contact them asap. SSW covers Findern, Burton and other villages to SW

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

I was advised today by South Staffs water that my identity details held by them were stolen back in August. Today I spent several hours adding extra security markers to my bank accounts, Credit reference agencies and the UK antifraud scheme.

So far I'm O.K, but if you are a SSW customer I suggest you contact them asap. SSW covers Findern, Burton and other villages to SW

Sorry to hear that, a complete pain to deal with and none of it your fault. Sounds like you have taken all the correct action. Expect lots of scam calls about problems with your microsoft computer and unauthorised activity on your bank account.

Quite a good discussion here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6407039/south-staffs-water-customers-criminal-cyber-attack

9 hours ago, FindernRam said:

I suspect they have written to, or are in the process of writing to, all impacted customers - I have received a similar letter.

I think I’m ok with my bank account and the Trueidentityprotect they recommend is free. The only cost I can see is the CIFAS registration they suggest which I think they should be covering but they’re not. I probably shan’t bother with that.

14 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I suspect they have written to, or are in the process of writing to, all impacted customers - I have received a similar letter.

I think I’m ok with my bank account and the Trueidentityprotect they recommend is free. The only cost I can see is the CIFAS registration they suggest which I think they should be covering but they’re not. I probably shan’t bother with that.

To add, the reason I’m not bothering with CIFAS is because I reckon the regulators are probably all over this and South Staffs Water have probably had to explain exactly what they’re doing about the breach. If CIFAS registration was considered an essential or important action to take I think SSW would have been forced to cover the cost.

I'm under SSW, not received a letter as yet.

The financial fraud is not the only dodgy stuff going on with SSW. On their website they proudly state, "We’re dedicated to protecting our environment", whilst continuing to pump raw sewage into the Churnet, Dove and Trent.

I assume its the financial environment of their owners they are protecting not the environment where I can take my grandkids for a paddle in the local river.

I ought to report them for fraud.

13 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

To add, the reason I’m not bothering with CIFAS is because I reckon the regulators are probably all over this and South Staffs Water have probably had to explain exactly what they’re doing about the breach. If CIFAS registration was considered an essential or important action to take I think SSW would have been forced to cover the cost.

I have asked the bank to put a "marker" on my accounts. This requires them to contact me directly if a new DD is attempted.

CIFAS seemed a sensible additional check, given what I could lose, and the fairly low cost for two years. I agree SSW should pay but the aggro to get them to do it is too great.

Incidentally TrueIdentitiy picked up that I had a data breach 9 years ago. I never knew and nothing resulted, but it shows how vulnerable we are.

11 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I'm under SSW, not received a letter as yet.

The financial fraud is not the only dodgy stuff going on with SSW. On their website they proudly state, "We’re dedicated to protecting our environment", whilst continuing to pump raw sewage into the Churnet, Dove and Trent.

I assume its the financial environment of their owners they are protecting not the environment where I can take my grandkids for a paddle in the local river.

I ought to report them for fraud.

I’d write to them and your local MP. Create a right stink just like they are ?

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

I have asked the bank to put a "marker" on my accounts. This requires them to contact me directly if a new DD is attempted.

CIFAS seemed a sensible additional check, given what I could lose, and the fairly low cost for two years. I agree SSW should pay but the aggro to get them to do it is too great.

Incidentally TrueIdentitiy picked up that I had a data breach 9 years ago. I never knew and nothing resulted, but it shows how vulnerable we are.

I already get an automated alert for any new direct debits or payees.

The other thing is, whilst it could be a real pain and inconvenience, I suspect you wouldn't actually lose out. Eventually, despite what we might read in the press, the banks will always refund a fraudulent payment unless you've been negligent yourself.

I don't really know what CIFAS adds over and above Trueidentity but, as you say, not a major expense. 

I pay a monthly subscription to Experian who monitor any activity in respect of credit checks etc, which always occur if someone is trying to set up bank accounts, credit cards and credit agreements with your details. It became essential a few years ago when I lived somewhere where identity theft was a real problem. It's probably not so necessary for me now I live somewhere less at risk of mail theft etc, and at around £180 pa it's not cheap, but after the aggro I had resolving a number of issues, it gives me peace of mind. 

I should add that they've also alerted me to a number of occasions when my email and password details etc have been touted around after a data breach.

Edited by Crewton

41 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I pay a monthly subscription to Experian who monitor any activity in respect of credit checks etc, which always occur if someone is trying to set up bank accounts, credit cards and credit agreements with your details. It became essential a few years ago when I lived somewhere where identity theft was a real problem. It's probably not so necessary for me now I live somewhere less at risk of mail theft etc, and at around £180 pa it's not cheap, but after the aggro I had resolving a number of issues, it gives me peace of mind. 

I should add that they've also alerted me to a number of occasions when my email and password details etc have been touted around after a data breach.

I'm not sure how much 'extra' you get for that but Credit Karma and Clear Score do a similar thing for free. I expect they make their money from selling loans/credit cards etc to you as they like to remind you of the fact you are/aren't credit worthy to an nth degree and offer you loans and cards! Clear Score are currently tell me I score 1000 out of 1000, I think there's a glitch! ?

Edited by RoyMac5