Premier League All Star Game

Day

New Chelsea owner Todd Boehly has this idea of a US style all star game with Premier League players, North v South.

I could understand the governing bodies coming up with the idea, another revenue builder most likely played out in Asia, yet for a club owner, not sure how he would benefit from this.

Imagine Raheem Sterling turning funny, doing his ACL in a meaningless game, I’m sure that would go down well.

Would you watch it if it became a reality? 

No, but I want it to happen. At this point I'm so disillusioned with football that I actively cheer on anything that reveals it to be the soulless corporate husk it has become. Seeing all the Premier League fans mock this as if they're above it is ridiculous. As if the corporate entity they give their custom to doesn't already piss on our football traditions in myriad other ways.

Do any of you watch the all star games in US sports? Any I've seen really aren't worth the time. I don't really understand what the draw to such a spectacle is. For me the interest in any sport lies in the importance of the result. Why people should be invested when nothing is on the line is a mystery to me.

No wouldn’t watch it.

Why does a sport that is the most popular in the world need this American type razzmatazz event? Answer it doesn’t, get in the bin 

Thing is, there's no salary cap, no draft picks, top clubs buy all the stars they want anyway and the top 4 clubs are effectively all stars anyway.

Neither team would be significantly better even in personnel that the clubs they're drawn from, the UK doesn't have vast geographical distances, north and south division doesn't reach above non-leage.

It's better than the 39th game idea or the superleague, but it is meaningless and of zero relevance, so, I fully expect it to happen.

On 14/09/2022 at 13:26, David said:

New Chelsea owner Todd Boehly has this idea of a US style all star game with Premier League players, North v South.

I could understand the governing bodies coming up with the idea, another revenue builder most likely played out in Asia, yet for a club owner, not sure how he would benefit from this.

Imagine Raheem Sterling turning funny, doing his ACL in a meaningless game, I’m sure that would go down well.

Would you watch it if it became a reality? 

I imagine large issues with insurance as they'll be covered for there club games only. 

I rather eat my own s**** than entertain such half arsed banality.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I imagine large issues with insurance as they'll be covered for there club games only. 

I rather eat my own s**** than entertain such half arsed banality.

All star 'football' games, all star baseball games, all star basketball games, ooh and lets not forget the all star ice hockey games.

Welcome to the world that Americans consider sport.

5 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

All star 'football' games, all star baseball games, all star basketball games, ooh and lets not forget the all star ice hockey games.

Welcome to the world that Americans consider sport.

Indeed.  It would end up like a sort of "socceraid" type game - soulless and like a pre-season friendly in Thailand. 

But to Americans it isn't about sport, but entertainment - and an event (disclaimer - I wish I could order food to my seat!).  The sport is just part of it.

I love the fact that "The Rams" have been the Cleveland, then moved to LA (at a distance of 2,346 miles), then moved to St Louis (1,824 miles away) and back to LA.

Without an attachment to a place, a Team is just a name.  So who cares if they play somewhere else.  And why not support other teams/

To be fair, I'm not against American sport.  They have a different tradition to us, but that doesn't make them wrong.  But  when they come here, I do wish they wouldn't try to civilise the natives.  

7 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Didn’t he suggest it to raise funds to hand out to the EFL to reduce what the premiership is being pressurised to give up in solidarity payments ?

Sky want to pay for blocks of games.  They will have no interest in one offs as no one buys a subscription to watch a one off friendly between scratch teams from London versus scratch teams from Manchester and Liverpool.  

It would be shown for peanuts on Channel Five, alongside the World Club Cup.  

41 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

Indeed.  It would end up like a sort of "socceraid" type game - soulless and like a pre-season friendly in Thailand. 

But to Americans it isn't about sport, but entertainment - and an event (disclaimer - I wish I could order food to my seat!).  The sport is just part of it.

I love the fact that "The Rams" have been the Cleveland, then moved to LA (at a distance of 2,346 miles), then moved to St Louis (1,824 miles away) and back to LA.

Without an attachment to a place, a Team is just a name.  So who cares if they play somewhere else.  And why not support other teams/

To be fair, I'm not against American sport.  They have a different tradition to us, but that doesn't make them wrong.  But  when they come here, I do wish they wouldn't try to civilise the natives.  

Sounds like that 100 cricket bollux