Rams Fans: Stay Positive, Stay Classy

Ellafella

Last season the atmosphere and togetherness was phenomenal. Rams in big numbers home and away inspired the team to keep fighting. The Club had its future hanging by a thread & Fans responded & inspired. The result is that high calibre players have signed because they want to play in that atmosphere. But can Rams fans keep that support going now the context has changed? The learning points for us:

1.  Support in big numbers home and away: the cost of living crisis will impact here but Derby is a football city so expect the big numbers to continue. In any case, often the atmosphere was better when PP had 25k than when 30k.

2. Inspiring songs like we fight to the end, Allez Allez, Since I was young…are more likely to insure and raise the Teeam’s energy than Collymore’s a winker and other negative chanting. 

There’s a total change of context; we are no longer United in the face of extinction. We will be the big fish, the prime scalp. Teams will play in “Cup Finals” against us and raise their performance 20%. At times Derby will struggle. It’s at these points that we need to stay positive and stay classy and try to raise our new team to higher levels. Generate positive energy which will translate to the Team. Do this and we will move upwards and forwards. 
Can’t wait for next Saturday. ? 

Good post. One thing I am weary of is our support starting to expect a win just for turning up because we are who we are. That increases pressure, and definitely lessens atmosphere with an increase of toxicity over every mistake made on the pitch. Last season was so great because there was support regardless and a lack of expectation. I hope we take that forward. 

Edited by Srg

1 minute ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Couldn’t agree more.  We developed a siege mentality and it was one of the most enjoyable seasons for many years for atmosphere and togetherness.  It really winds me up when “fans” boo the team off at half time.  Like that helps them and takes the pressure off.

Don’t really have an issue with booing them off… when they deserve it. But I think it takes more to deserve it than we’ve seen in the past to get boos.

The UK has the only football culture where booing is frowned upon. Went to a game in Germany and the players came over to the support to apologise for losing after a game and they all booed them out the ground. Considered completely normal elsewhere. 

I will be there week in week out as normal.  We will probably do a few away days too now the lad is old enough.  Having said that he is now an inch taller than me - as is his cousin we sometimes go with, so nowadays I am not sure who is looking after who ?

if a Derby County team had to play on the local reccy, I would turn up to watch…

I do reserve the right to boo as much as I will cheer them on.  It is only usual for me if I perceive a lack of effort rather than anything else, and sometimes (especially at half time) my boos are directed at the officials rather than anything else.

I agree about the singing, I really don’t like the personal stuff, taking the Micky in a light hearted way if they have done something daft and within spitting distance time wise of it happening is all well and good, but when it’s other stuff and happened ages ago it just makes us look daft (at best)

I think it will be a tough, but enjoyable season…