Andrew Ward, son of Tim Ward

Macintosh

A lot won't know who he is, and some may not know who Tim Ward is, but I think it deserves a mention. Sadly, Andrew passed away recently after a battle against cancer and dementia. He had already won a previous battle against cancer.

Tim Ward was one of Derby's greatest players. Signing for the Rams just before the outbreak of war, and missing the Cup Final because of national duty. His time in Germany saw him miss all but one game of Derby's 1946 FA Cup campaign. He played 238 times for us, and also gained two England caps as a right-half. He later left to play for Barnsley. His managerial career started oddly, having been appointed manager at Exeter. However, Barnsley had not released him and appointed him their manager eight days later. He won promotion for them from the Third Division and was there for eight seasons. He then managed Grimsby and got them out of the Third Division. For five years he was Derby's manager, signed Kevin Hector, and a lot of the team that went on to gain promotion under Clough: Durban, Webster, Boulton and Daniel. After a short stint as Carlisle manager he is to thank for the Ex-Rams charity matches, and the formation of the Derby County Former Player's Association in 1991.

Where does Andrew fit into this. Well he was an accomplished author, and he co-authored The Derby County Story with Anton Rippon in 1983. It was hugely successful and following soon was the Derby County Complete Record and the success of Breedon Books, whose importance to the world of football publishing cannot be ignored.

2 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

A lot won't know who he is, and some may not know who Tim Ward is, but I think it deserves a mention. Sadly, Andrew passed away recently after a battle against cancer and dementia. He had already won a previous battle against cancer.

Tim Ward was one of Derby's greatest players. Signing for the Rams just before the outbreak of war, and missing the Cup Final because of national duty. His time in Germany saw him miss all but one game of Derby's 1946 FA Cup campaign. He played 238 times for us, and also gained two England caps as a right-half. He later left to play for Barnsley. His managerial career started oddly, having been appointed manager at Exeter. However, Barnsley had not released him and appointed him their manager eight days later. He won promotion for them from the Third Division and was there for eight seasons. He then managed Grimsby and got them out of the Third Division. For five years he was Derby's manager, signed Kevin Hector, and a lot of the team that went on to gain promotion under Clough: Durban, Webster, Boulton and Daniel. After a short stint as Carlisle manager he is to thank for the Ex-Rams charity matches, and the formation of the Derby County Former Player's Association in 1991.

Where does Andrew fit into this. Well he was an accomplished author, and he co-authored The Derby County Story with Anton Rippon in 1983. It was hugely successful and following soon was the Derby County Complete Record and the success of Breedon Books, whose importance to the world of football publishing cannot be ignored.

Very sad. I remember Tim Ward as manager, vagueiy. Wasn't really aware of Andrew, so thanks for that.

RIP

1 hour ago, Macintosh said:

For quite a few years Tim used to sit behind me at matches.  I didn't know him well but he seemed a gent

RIP Andrew a very accomplished author and son of Tim Ward who was a good Derby Manager.

Just a couple of links of interest

http://www.derbycountymemories.co.uk/timothy-victor-ward-gentleman-manager-and-kingmaker-by-david-moore

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tim-wards-derby-county-spell-1839111.amp

Edited by Curtains
Added and link

9 hours ago, plymouthram said:

I started following Derby when Tim Ward was manager. I think Kevin Hector was Tim's last signing before he left the club and I recall not much of a gap between Hector joining and Ward leaving. We paid £40,000 for Hector from Bradford Park Avenue where he had scored over 100 goals.

That's right - Hector was ill with something like glandular fever for a large part of his first season, so TW never got the full benefit of one of the best value signings in our history. As the articles suggest, Tim had a very good record in the transfer market and in developing apprentices, which both Clough and Mackay benefitted from as managers - Boulton, Webster, Daniel, Durban and Hector as we know all played their part in one or both of our title wins. 

Earlier today was sorting out the bookshelves and came across a copy of "  Footballs Strangest Matches" written by Andrew, who at that time was a careers counsellor at Oxford Polytechnic and also a course tutor for the Open University. Well worth a read.

Met his dad Tim in the mid- 60s when he presented the prizes for USAF  the South Pennine Road Club open cyclo cross event held at Aston on Trent -a true gent in touch with the real world.

RIP Andrew.