Relegation.. priorities?

Chester40

1 hour ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

We go down, and we will lose a significant number/if not all of our players.

We will contract to the size of a L1 team. There might be 30,000 watching but on the pitch that is what it will be.

The league is a bearpit and it will take a while to get out of.

I will be happy if we steady the ship and finish outside the relegation zone next season, especially if we get hit by another pts deduction.

Then its a couple of seasons' rebuilding and then get back up - hopefully.

We could go into freefall .... 

black and white falling GIF by Pi-Slices

You're talking as though it's a given that we'll be down there for years. It isn't. Similarly it isn't a given that we'll come straight back up.

But you look at teams like Hull who went down a couple of years ago losing basically every game in the second half of the season. They were truly awful. But they were able to regroup, bring in some young hungry players and win League One the following season.

If this takeover gets over the line then I don't see why we can't be positive about our chances. I don't think we will lose all of our current players, I think we will keep more than you might expect. Recruitment will need to be right but players will want to play for Derby and they will want to play for Wayne Rooney. I'd be surprised if we're not challenging at the top end next season.

I am happy taking it as it comes. First priority is stability and no points deductions. After that it’s 11 v 11. I’ll be there 3.00 PM Saturdays and enjoying it as usual. … helped a lot if we play with a bit of panache and skill. 

Over the years of cup games and a a bit of TV you can see that there is little difference between the Championship and L1 ( taking out the play off and parachute teams in the champ. ) The one thing you do notice is consistency and that quality cutting edge. TBH with our limited resources this season I’d say our current squad ( I know we won’t keep them ) would have been at the level play off contenders in L1 . Might not be top two because missing a goal scorers counts .. wherever you are.