Finance thread 2022.

Rev

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

What's the point. You're clearly just on a wind-up

My only issue with the budget is that it massively benefits the already well-off in comparison to the amount that it benefits those who are struggling. It's so totally out of proportion. A point you haven't addressed because I assume that beneath your "work harder" bravado, even you know that it's indefensible. 

Oh and is it "free money" if we have to live with the deficit and the inevitable disintegration of public services that are starved of tax money?

I think we're entering a period where the lucky ones will become privately rich whilst we all become publicly impoverished.

Remember this?

image.png.9b2e30cdd3008500615adfbd5e8f69e9.png

14 hours ago, TexasRam said:

So no response to this @Stive Pesley not even a laughing smiley face reaction?……..why’s that? is it maybe because the government IS actually supporting the lower paid? 

Really ? I hardly think the meagre amounts of  £100- £200 quoted in today's papers for the lower paid are supportive particularly when you take inflation into account.  

Edited by sonofmidnight
Over sharing personal detail

3 minutes ago, sonofmidnight said:

Really ? I hardly think the meagre amounts of  £100- £200 quoted in today's papers for the lower paid are supportive particularly when you take inflation into account.  It doesn't sit well with me at all and I post this from a position of being financially secure. 

I said the tax and NI relief on top of the >£600 energy handout (following the previous £150 given) as well as an energy bill price cap, all on top of current benefits Is a lot of money to give away especially after paying people to sit at home for over a year (which people seem to have conveniently forgotten about). I think the government should be commended for it, however it’s never enough is it, people always want more. 

36 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I said the tax and NI relief on top of the >£600 energy handout (following the previous £150 given) as well as an energy bill price cap, all on top of current benefits Is a lot of money to give away especially after paying people to sit at home for over a year (which people seem to have conveniently forgotten about). I think the government should be commended for it, however it’s never enough is it, people always want more. 

It is a lot of money to give away, especially when you look at how much more of it is being given to people who don't really need it so much. Aren't you furious about that? These people don't need exponentially large handouts. They work so hard that they are already comfortably well off. Or do they somehow deserve to receive orders of magnitude larger hand outs?

46 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

It doesn't sit well with me at all so without going into detail I am doing my own wealth distribution acts. Not everybody needs or indeed wants more money. Sometimes we get more pleasure from helping others than amassing even more money.  

56 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

It is a lot of money to give away, especially when you look at how much more of it is being given to people who don't really need it so much. Aren't you furious about that? These people don't need exponentially large handouts. They work so hard that they are already comfortably well off. Or do they somehow deserve to receive orders of magnitude larger hand outs?

You have me wrong Stive, I’m not furious about any of it, quite the opposite.  I think it’s a good thing “everyone” who’s earning a living is benefiting from the new NI, Tax reductions and energy handouts. 
I am also a big believer for those who work hard and better themselves should be rewarded for it, is that wrong? 

Edited by TexasRam

38 minutes ago, sonofmidnight said:

It doesn't sit well with me at all so without going into detail I am doing my own wealth distribution acts. Not everybody needs or indeed wants more money. Sometimes we get more pleasure from helping others than amassing even more money.  

Good for you, I think that’s excellent ?? 

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

You have me wrong Stive, I’m not furious about any of it, quite the opposite.  I think it’s a good thing “everyone” who’s earning a living is benefiting from the new NI, Tax reductions and energy handouts. 
I am also a big believer for those who work hard and better themselves should be rewarded for it, is that wrong? 

Not sure how many times you can miss my point though? 

How is it fair that those who are struggling the least to pay their bills are getting proportionately far bigger handouts than someone on minimum wage? By all means give everybody something - but why is it weighted to favour those who need it the least?

1 minute ago, Stive Pesley said:

Not sure how many times you can miss my point though? 

How is it fair that those who are struggling the least to pay their bills are getting proportionately far bigger handouts than someone on minimum wage? By all means give everybody something - but why is it weighted to favour those who need it the least?

How do you know they’re not struggling, how do you know they need it least? do you know everyone’s financial position?
Your missing my point, everyone’s getting help isn’t that what you want? 

5 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Your missing my point, everyone’s getting help isn’t that what you want? 

No - I fully accept your point, and have done all along. That is what I want

You on the other hand are unable to defend the disparity in the size of the tax breaks between the richest and the poorest. Because it really is indefensible

The richest 5% of people in the UK will be at least £8k per year better off, compared to the average person who will be £400 per year better off. How is that fair? Food, petrol, energy - costs the same to all of us

If you swerve the question again I will take that you agree but you're too stubborn to admit it

11 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

You on the other hand are unable to defend the disparity in the size of the tax breaks between the richest and the poorest. Because it really is indefensible

The richest 5% of people in the UK will be at least £8k per year better off, compared to the average person who will be £400 per year better off. How is that fair? Food, petrol, energy - costs the same to all of us

If you swerve the question again I will take that you agree but you're too stubborn to admit it

I have no idea or knowledge of this latest budget.

But isn't this just a question of percentages? You lower taxes, those who earn more will, in monetary terms, be better off - but if you raise taxes the opposite happens. 

Or has there been more tax breaks for all those earning more money?

That 400 really should include 600 more due to handouts for energy bills the wealthy don't get too, shouldn't it?

I'm no expert, though. I'm sure someone on here is.

24 minutes ago, Norman said:

I have no idea or knowledge of this latest budget.

But isn't this just a question of percentages? You lower taxes, those who earn more will, in monetary terms, be better off - but if you raise taxes the opposite happens. 

Or has there been more tax breaks for all those earning more money?

That 400 really should include 600 more due to handouts for energy bills the wealthy don't get too, shouldn't it?

I'm no expert, though. I'm sure someone on here is.

This shows the disparity in the distribution of all the current relief measures

image.thumb.png.51e607ea8002940c4c750c29dd477869.png

39 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I think anybody who works to earn money and has  >40% taken of them for the pleasure deserves a break. They earn what they earn maybe because they work long hard hours away from their family, maybe have taken sacrifices in life to be in the position they are in so yes i thinks it’s perfectly fair to be honest.

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

You keep going on about rewarding those who work hard. How do you equate who is working harder than someone else. I'm sure many workers on minimum wage work as hard as those earning ten times as much. 

2 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

You keep going on about rewarding those who work hard. How do you equate who is working harder than someone else. I'm sure many workers on minimum wage work as hard as those earning ten times as much. 

I didn’t say they didn’t work as hard. Again and again and again, I’ll make my point, everyone has just been rewarded with more cash in their pocket that they didn’t have Thursday. Clear ?

17 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I think anybody who works to earn money and has  >40% taken of them for the pleasure deserves a break. They earn what they earn maybe because they work long hard hours away from their family, maybe have taken sacrifices in life to be in the position they are in so yes i thinks it’s perfectly fair to be honest.

@Stive Pesleywhy is that funny?