Suggestions to Save Derby County

Curtains

1 hour ago, Ramos said:

Isn’t it more about what the football club means economically for the city and the businesses that rely on the football club for business etc etc? If the council bought the ground that’s essentially what they are trying to save in the long run. 

Well said. Helping to save the club will benefit the city and its local encomomy which the club contributes massively towards. Also the council will get a return on it's investment in terms of rent from the club and any other event they use it for, also leaving the door open for the stadium bought back the club in the long term.

2 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

And more agreeable on the rent of stadium than new owners or owner that can pay off over time and perhaps they might say if we buy pp then you can pay off tax of what tickets get sold percentage goes off and you get percentage to put  back into pp.

0B03510D-D23A-4A4C-9CAF-14F12B098BAA.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Nobody will totally agree on what our money is spent on, and they will get some income plus if we get the opportunity to buy it back in the future, seems ok to me.

Am just saying what is immediately obvious and attractive to a football supporter will not have the same bearing on those who don't follow football. 

Someone whose never supported a football team might easily turn round and question this and quite rightly. It's the thin end of the wedge. 

2 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Residents of Derby have had little say when they built the velodrome at almost £30mil. 

Like I say how often is toyate sweat is used small to medium concerts could be held there and derby can still play there.

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Am just saying what is immediately obvious and attractive to a football supporter will not have the same bearing on those who don't follow football. 

Someone whose never supported a football team might easily turn round and question this and quite rightly. It's the thin end of the wedge. 

Derby County is too important to local economy and has massive cultural significance to the area. Similar to Rolls Royce, it’s a big name in the area. Probably not a big employer (I guess more medium scale) but the revenue created must be significant. Council spends money on things all the time and every big outlay will upset some people who don’t appreciate investment in the arts (questionable whether the council has been investing properly in arts but that’s beside the point) or sport or whatever. 

26 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

But there are a lot of fans in Derby, who probably do not agree with what the council spend our money,on so I reckon at the end of the day its swings and roundabouts and don't forget the rams bring a lot of business into the city.

Not many council white elephants are polarising as football is. It's just a risky way to spend public money - and doing polarising things isn't a ery council-like thing to do. 

My mother for example has no interest in football. I'm sure a lot of people are the same. My dad hates it. They'd be up in arms if their local council spent £20m, good investment or not. 

And how many local Forest, Leeds, Burton Albion etc. fans would vote for the same group of local councillors who pushed this through? 

It just feels like the kind of thing a council would steer clear of, for self preservation reasons. 

2 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Derby County is too important to local economy and has massive cultural significance to the area. Similar to Rolls Royce, it’s a big name in the area. Probably not a big employer (I guess more medium scale) but the revenue created must be significant. Council spends money on things all the time and every big outlay will upset some people who don’t appreciate investment in the arts (questionable whether the council has been investing properly in arts but that’s beside the point) or sport or whatever. 

The Council does invest quite heavily in the arts and culture generally. If anything I'd argue that they invest much more per head of people attending those sort of middle class activities  than they do for more working class activities. If anything  this would be levelling the playing field a bit. 

49 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

How often does Toyota sweat gets used it big space plus got a bar in it surely medium to small concerts that could be used for and still be used for football.

What so funny

It could hold small 200 people in it or medium maybe 400 to 500.

Saying for example £15 to £35 person that would bring in extra income after saying saturday evening after matches been played.

Plus food and drink being ordered as well.

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

Not many council white elephants are polarising as football is. It's just a risky way to spend public money - and doing polarising things isn't a ery council-like thing to do. 

My mother for example has no interest in football. I'm sure a lot of people are the same. My dad hates it. They'd be up in arms if their local council spent £20m, good investment or not. 

And how many local Forest, Leeds, Burton Albion etc. fans would vote for the same group of local councillors who pushed this through? 

It just feels like the kind of thing a council would steer clear of, for self preservation reasons. 

Hasn’t millions of taxpayers money been spent on the velodrome? Think there would be more support to save the local football club.

6 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

It's too divisive a topic as another poster has quite rightly stated it would alienate football fans whom lived in the parish whom didn't support Derby and so on. 

Its a good way of the local council signing their own death warrants. 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

The Council does invest quite heavily in the arts and culture generally. If anything I'd argue that they invest much more per head of people attending those sort of middle class activities  than they do for more working class activities. If anything  this would be levelling the playing field a bit. 

Fits in with Boris’s levelling up agenda, perhaps this is finally the start of it ?

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's too divisive a topic as another poster has quite rightly stated it would alienate football fans whom lived in the parish whom didn't support Derby and so on. 

I think you’re overstating any feeling against. The benefit to the economy is obvious. I doubt many fans of other teams will be alienated as it’s obviously beneficial to the city to safeguard Derby County and it’s stadium. 

Just now, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

I think you’re overstating any feeling against. The benefit to the economy is obvious. I doubt many fans of other teams will be alienated as it’s obviously beneficial to the city to safeguard Derby County and it’s stadium. 

Fans of other clubs might not give a toss about safeguarding Derby County which is the fatal flaw in your argument.

They also might be so myopic to be able to see any tangible benefits to the local economy. 

Fans of other clubs might not give a toss about safeguarding Derby County which is the fatal flaw in your argument.

They also might be so myopic to be able to see any tangible benefits to the local economy. 

A lot of people don’t care about lots of things the council spends money on... taxpayers paid a lot of money for a velodrome/ arena which has been divisive.... 

You will never get a plan that will please everyone. The majority of city residents I’m sure understand the importance of the football club

Well, you're being quite myopic in failing to see any positives in this.

People in glass houses....

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Well, you're being quite myopic in failing to see any positives in this.

People in glass houses....

I'm countering the argument put forward- whether it be positive or negative is an irrelevance. 

But if you want me to blithely agree with everything posted on here then let me know and will try and accommodate. 

11 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Mate the thread is about viable real alternatives because I don’t see any right now .

Whats your alternative!