Derbyshire CCC - Mickey Arthur Appointed

Mihangel

200 for Reece and a club record opening stand of 360, beating the previous record held by Reece and Godleman - and it's time for handshakes.

The pitch situation does need looking at (across the whole country) but we put them into bat because the best time to bowl on these pitches is Day 1, and then bowled like a bunch of puddings. After the first day there’s just nothing there for the bowlers, and unless you give your wickets away like we did yesterday, you shouldn't be in any danger.

Edited by jimbo jones

2 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

200 for Reece and a club record opening stand of 360, beating the previous record held by Reece and Godleman - and it's time for handshakes.

The pitch situation does need looking at (across the whole country) but we put them into bat because the best time to bowl on these pitches is Day 1, and then bowled like a bunch of puddings. After the first day there’s just nothing there for the bowlers, and unless you give your wickets away like we did yesterday, you shouldn't be in any danger.

We just held on 😉

Some interesting words from Mickey Arthur about the pitch when talking to Radio Derby. There’s never any mention of it on the club reports, but I recall Fletch said on commentary that he would pose the question, as it is very much the hot topic of conversation at the moment.

You can tell by how much grass they are leaving on it, that they are trying to get some life into the pitch but it's just not happening. I don't know how that's fixed or how long it takes.

Arthur's comments;

"It's hard to force wins here, there's been one win in four-day cricket since I've been here when we lost to Worcestershire in arguably a game we should have won.

"We have to do something, I thought this wicket was going to do all sorts, it was green and it ended up being incredibly flat. If we want to meet the ambitions we have, we've got to be getting wins at home and we need a bit of help out of the wicket."

Edited by jimbo jones

48 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Just thinking about Lakmal. Has he been one of our worst ever overseas signings? Who was worse and finally, who was our best. Discuss 😊

Hmm, yeah been very disappointing. Never at any point looked fully fit, and has been one problem after another. The fact we signed him for 2 years, to solely play for us full time, probably makes the end result even more disappointing.

Best? Can you look past Eddie Barlow’s contribution?

All the greats were before my time really. First overseas I remember being excited about were Dean Jones and Michael Slater.

My favourite who I got to watch a lot would probably be Martyn Guptil.

Edited by jimbo jones

1 minute ago, jimbo jones said:

Hmm, yeah been very disappointing. Never at any point looked fully fit, and has been one problem after another. The fact we signed him for 2 years, to solely play for us full time, probably makes the end result even more disappointing.

Best? Can you look past Eddie Barlow’s contribution?

All the greats were before my time really. First overseas I remember being excited about where Dean Jones and Michael Slater.

My favourite who I got to watch a lot would probably be Martyn Guptil.

Heard great things about Eddie Barlow but he was just before my time. Wright and Kirsten were great, but all in all, during the period I have followed Derbyshire, it has to be Michael Holding 😊

12 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Glamorgan 3rd with 1 win. Unbelievable.

The story of the division really. The weather hasn't helped, but flat pitches giving no assistance to average, generally medium pace bowling attacks isn't conducive to results.

A few of the wins have been at outgrounds where there’s been more life on the pitches…Worcestershire have wins at Cheltenham and Oakham in there last 2 games which has been a huge boost for them. Yorkshire got their win against us at Chesterfield….more outground cricket is what we need.

We play Yorkshire at Scarboroughin September.

Edited by jimbo jones

2 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

The team that's playing Lincolnshire today in a 50 over game.

I would think that's the team that will face Gloucestershire. Good to see Lamb back. We are going to need our spinners/all rounders to have a very good competition.

IMG_2995.jpeg

Would be good to see you back as well!

IMG_2175.jpeg

2 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

The team that's playing Lincolnshire today in a 50 over game.

I would think that's the team that will face Gloucestershire. Good to see Lamb back. We are going to need our spinners/all rounders to have a very good competition.

IMG_2995.jpeg

I think Potts is the weak link but we have very limited alternatives.