Derbyshire CCC - Mickey Arthur Appointed

Mihangel

8 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

Hopefully the wicket will have a bit more in it for the bowlers this season, every championship game at the county ground was a draw last season and probably cost us a chance of promotion 

I wouldn't say 'probably' at all, because in order to have made up the points to overhaul Middlesex, we would have had to have won FIVE of the games we drew (difference between a win and a draw is 8 points, and Middlesex finished 40 points ahead of Derbyshire). Furthermore, making the home wickets more 'sporting', while improving Derbyshire's chances of gaining more bowling bonus points, would at the same time have had a possible negative affect on the number of batting points won.

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I wouldn't say 'probably' at all, because in order to have made up the points to overhaul Middlesex, we would have had to have won FIVE of the games we drew (difference between a win and a draw is 8 points, and Middlesex finished 40 points ahead of Derbyshire). Furthermore, making the home wickets more 'sporting', while improving Derbyshire's chances of gaining more bowling bonus points, would at the same time have had a possible negative affect on the number of batting points won.

I did say probably a chance of promotion and I’d say in most of the games that were drawn at the county ground we were the better team but couldn’t take 20 wickets on a benign wicket. I don’t want games being finished in 2 days but think scores of about 350 first innings should be the norm not 550. Last season you pretty much knew the result by the 3rd morning, the best game was against Glamorgan and that was due to a generous declaration by Derbyshire. I think our wicket was to batter friendly I want a fair balance between bat and ball 

Regarding my earlier post, I decided to look at each of the 7 home games in turn.

Derbyshire v Sussex - Sussex were 513-3 in their second innings, so weren't exactly hanging on. Haines and Pujara both made double centuries, and in the process, added more than 350 for the third wicket.

Derbyshire (368, 349-3) v Glamorgan (387, 310-8) could have gone either way. It was a fantastic match with Glamorgan requiring 330 to win in their second innings, and at one time they were sitting pretty on 160-2 after about 30 overs with Labuschagne and Northeast flaying the attack to all parts (especially Conners who went for about 9 runs an over). Then Carlson and Cooke went into one-day mode, scoring at better than a run a ball. Finally, Anuj Dal and Sidebottom took key wickets to peg them back and the tail just held on, finishing just 20 runs shy with numbers 9 and 10 at the crease.

Derbyshire (565-8) v Worcestershire (368, 225-2) - again, never in a position to force victory. I think we lost the best part of a day to rain and Worcestershire's second innings was a crawl to 225-2 off more than 100 overs. Sidebottom got injured, and Lakmal struggled throughout.

Derbyshire (229, 222-4) v Middlesex (251, 196) - Derbyshire won by 6 wickets on probably the only 'sporting' wicket at 'home' last year (the match was played at Chesterfield). Middlesex batted first making 251, and Derbyshire followed up with 229. No batter in the first innings made 50. Stoneman recorded the game's first half-century with 67 in Middlesex's second dig of just 196, before a brilliant 98 by Shan Masood (in my opinion a far better innings than either of his 'doubles' made in far friendlier conditions) put Derbyshire in a strong position, ably assisted by Wayne Madsen. After Masood was out, du Plooy and Reece in turn made quick runs to see us home.

Derbyshire (318, 249-4) v Notts (618-8 dec) - when Ben Aitcheson dismissed Ben Duckett (the second Notts batter out) for 241, we were already well into the second day. A first innings century by Brook Guest and half-centuries by Harry Came and Luis Reece, adding 161 for the first wicket after we were asked to follow on, saw Derbyshire navigate a draw safely. It could have been far worse.

Derbyshire (306, 214-9 dec) v Durham (223, 176-5) - a rain-affected game which saw Derbyshire, batting first, recover from 58-4 with du Plooy, Came and Dal all hitting half-centuries. Durham went the other way, collapsing from 79-0 and 196-4, the second collapse triggered by an inspired spell by Sam Conners. A modest 214-9 (with Godleman showing real stickability for possibly the first time all season) set Durham 298 to win in just two sessions. They never looked like trying to chase the total down, and at 106-5 with Mark Watt wheeling away, they finally shut up shop.

Derbyshire (568-9 dec) v Leicestershire (249, 405-7) - Aitcheson and Conners were rampant in Leicestershire's first innings, then when Derbyshire batted, Reece and Godleman added 251 for the first wicket. There seemed to be little urgency in Derbyshire's innings, going along at around 3 and a half runs an over throughout. I think we all expected Leicestershire to roll over, but they dug in admirably in the second innings when 17 year old Rehan Ahmed showed us just what a wonderful prospect he is, adding a run-a-ball 122 to his maiden 5-wicket haul. Perhaps Derbyshire could have declared much earlier - who knows?

38 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

I did say probably a chance of promotion and I’d say in most of the games that were drawn at the county ground we were the better team but couldn’t take 20 wickets on a benign wicket. I don’t want games being finished in 2 days but think scores of about 350 first innings should be the norm not 550. Last season you pretty much knew the result by the 3rd morning, the best game was against Glamorgan and that was due to a generous declaration by Derbyshire. I think our wicket was to batter friendly I want a fair balance between bat and ball 

How are you going to make up 40 points on Middlesex, the only side we beat at home?

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

How are you going to make up 40 points on Middlesex, the only side we beat at home?

I didn’t say it probably cost us promotion I said a CHANCE of promotion, but that isn’t the point I’m trying to make most members I spoke to last season thought our own ground didn’t have the balance right between bat and ball

52 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

I didn’t say it probably cost us promotion I said a CHANCE of promotion, but that isn’t the point I’m trying to make most members I spoke to last season thought our own ground didn’t have the balance right between bat and ball

I agree with your last point - however, bowling was not our strength by any stretch of the imagination, as Sam and Ben were very much 'work in progress'. Next season, I think it will be a much better balanced side.

I spent quite a bit of time analysing each home game (see above) in an attempt to clarify my thoughts on why I don't think that spicing up the Derby wicket would have helped us climb the table appreciably - I should be interested to know whether you read it and whether you agree with any of the salient points. I've no axe to grind over this at all - like many on this board, I'm a Derbyshire supporter and have been a member since I retired 5 years ago, and consequently have the time to attend just about every minute of every home game.

In summary, I'm optimistic that we will do better next season, but I also think that, last season, we finished about where we should have. A fully fit Lakmal together with the likes of Conners, Aitcheson, Scrimshaw et al could be an attack to respect. The inclusion of Mark Watt, a class act in my opinion, adds that nice bit of balance.

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Well there is quite a bit of cricket to see us through until April. England men in South Africa and New Zealand as well as the women’s 20/20 World Cup ??

We've just reached December 31 in the Big Bash recordings. At the moment, we watch a game per day (plenty of other test and ODI cricket on the TIVO box too) - the following seems to be a pictorial representation of the programming in said TIVO box...

1428240169_recordallthecricket.jpg.20f11649c0faaa8ba807e2bd2608d44b.jpg

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

I agree with your last point - however, bowling was not our strength by any stretch of the imagination, as Sam and Ben were very much 'work in progress'. Next season, I think it will be a much better balanced side.

I spent quite a bit of time analysing each home game (see above) in an attempt to clarify my thoughts on why I don't think that spicing up the Derby wicket would have helped us climb the table appreciably - I should be interested to know whether you read it and whether you agree with any of the salient points. I've no axe to grind over this at all - like many on this board, I'm a Derbyshire supporter and have been a member since I retired 5 years ago, and consequently have the time to attend just about every minute of every home game.

In summary, I'm optimistic that we will do better next season, but I also think that, last season, we finished about where we should have. A fully fit Lakmal together with the likes of Conners, Aitcheson, Scrimshaw et al could be an attack to respect. The inclusion of Mark Watt, a class act in my opinion, adds that nice bit of balance.

Yes I agree with you Eddie that batting was our strength last season and our curse with overseas bowlers doesn’t help, I would just like a little better balance with the wicket it doesn’t have to be like Notts wicket in the 80’s where the game was done in 5 sessions. Zak Chappell as also been added to the attack, I was talking to him Monday and he seemed very optimistic about our chances and fair play to him he’s come to Derbyshire because he wants to play more cricket.

Like you I’m retired and attend virtually every minute of every form of the game, we’ll have to meet up and share a beer, it’s carling that you drink isn’t it ?

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

We've just reached December 31 in the Big Bash recordings. At the moment, we watch a game per day (plenty of other test and ODI cricket on the TIVO box too) - the following seems to be a pictorial representation of the programming in said TIVO box...

1428240169_recordallthecricket.jpg.20f11649c0faaa8ba807e2bd2608d44b.jpg

Bored with franchise cricket to be honest ?

On 10/01/2023 at 17:34, jimbo jones said:

I kind of hoped that because he had “been there and done that” with the international game. He’d want to stay and finish the job. Great news that seems to be the case.

I seem to recall that he came to Derbyshire because he wanted a 'project'. On that basis he probably sees it as a work in progress and wants to see it through.

As you say he's "been there and done that", more than once.

14 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

Yes I agree with you Eddie that batting was our strength last season and our curse with overseas bowlers doesn’t help, I would just like a little better balance with the wicket it doesn’t have to be like Notts wicket in the 80’s where the game was done in 5 sessions. Zak Chappell as also been added to the attack, I was talking to him Monday and he seemed very optimistic about our chances and fair play to him he’s come to Derbyshire because he wants to play more cricket.

Like you I’m retired and attend virtually every minute of every form of the game, we’ll have to meet up and share a beer, it’s carling that you drink isn’t it ?

Lol.

We are usually to be found in the Performance Centre seating, just to the left of the players' seating.

I'd appreciate a Carling - the water's a little low in my windscreen washers.

du Plooy top scoring in the match with 75 not out off 40 balls, for Joburg Super Kings (not sure why you'd make your cricket team sound like a pack of cigarettes) and named player of the match in the the SA20.

Games are being shown on Sky Sports, typically I keep missing du Plooys batting efforts...

21 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

du Plooy top scoring in the match with 75 not out off 40 balls, for Joburg Super Kings (not sure why you'd make your cricket team sound like a pack of cigarettes) and named player of the match in the the SA20.

Games are being shown on Sky Sports, typically I keep missing du Plooys batting efforts...

I've got them all recorded - useful to while away the winter days.