Who are the 23?

trekkie_ram

Remember when we had the contract expiry pinned post -  Any chance we could have a "Current 23 Players" pinned post?  I don't know for sure who counts and who doesn't.

Rooney kept saying that he couldn't use certain youth players as they'd gain professional status, but I thought I read on the forum that the EFL Cup didn't count towards those games?  Did we use anyone new yesterday?

It's important to note (this took me a moment to realise, so thought I'd share the minor brainwork) that we are keeping it to 23 so that when we eventually move players on (Marshall being the most likely it seems), we can then replace them with more free agents - it's not that he literally can't use these youth players.

Should we have and injury or COVID crisis these are the only players we’re able to pick from as replacements  

Harry Evans, Zion Dixon, Reece Nicholas-Davies, Dubum Eze, Nelson Aideyan, Adebayo Fapetu, Kain Ryan, Darren Robinson, Riley Moloney, Callum Moore, Sam Sebagabo, Marko Borkovic, Rhys Brailsford, Eli Christie, Olamide Ibrahim, Cian Kelly Caprani, Harvey Randle, Alfie Roberts, Charlie Rutt, Dylan Williams

8 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Guessing he desperately wants to get shot of Marshall to bring in another forward? (As plan B if umbongo not lifted next week).

A lot of people saying we officially need to have 3 goalkeepers in the 23, so selling Marshall would only free up another goalkeeper slot and not for an outfield player. Not sure whether that's been confirmed anywhere or not. 

9 minutes ago, trekkie_ram said:

Rooney kept saying that he couldn't use certain youth players as they'd gain professional status, but I thought I read on the forum that the EFL Cup didn't count towards those games?  Did we use anyone new yesterday?

It must count if he couldn't use Cashin/Thompson last night?

Dylan Williams is missing from that 23 (24!??) man list then?

6 minutes ago, tinman said:

Should we have and injury or COVID crisis these are the only players we’re able to pick from as replacements  

Harry Evans, Zion Dixon, Reece Nicholas-Davies, Dubum Eze, Nelson Aideyan, Adebayo Fapetu, Kain Ryan, Darren Robinson, Riley Moloney, Callum Moore, Sam Sebagabo, Marko Borkovic, Rhys Brailsford, Eli Christie, Olamide Ibrahim, Cian Kelly Caprani, Harvey Randle, Alfie Roberts, Charlie Rutt, Dylan Williams

And Carlos Richards. RW, from Chelsea who joined late into pre-season

9 minutes ago, tinman said:

What makes them special / exempt?

2 minutes ago, r_wilcockson said:

A lot of people saying we officially need to have 3 goalkeepers in the 23, so selling Marshall would only free up another goalkeeper slot and not for an outfield player. Not sure whether that's been confirmed anywhere or not. 

I know that’s a World Cup squad rule, I guess it makes logical sense in this situation though.

21 minutes ago, trekkie_ram said:

The Chorley FA Cup game didn't count - we had to ask for the EFL to make an exception due to the circumstances.
No one new yesterday. All had played in the League before, except for Williams who also doesn't count due to being a scholar.

1 minute ago, r_wilcockson said:

I think that was just Chinese whispers tbh... people trying to guess why we'd sign a 3rd GK when we have limited squad spaces available.

1 minute ago, trekkie_ram said:

I know that’s a World Cup squad rule, I guess it makes logical sense in this situation though.

Either way, a fee for Marshall could help alleviate some of the embargo restrictions, especially if we promote a younger age bracket goalkeeper / another free.