Relegation watch

Spanish

39 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well Rooney got off to an understandably slow start. But Cocu got a good amount of leeway in his first season owing to the 'Lampard effect'! He also got more leeway at the start of this season. He's not long gone at all. Post Jan transfer window is perhaps the first time Cocu might be almost gone over the horizon.

Come on, Roy. Fans were calling for Cocu’s head in August 2019, notably around the time of that Forest game in the League Cup. Similarly he didn’t get any leeway at the start of the season either. Fans were right on his case early on.

Not that I am defending Cocu. As two of his most vocal detractors, we both know that he wasn’t right for us. I just think that people are dwelling on his time in charge too much and using it as a crutch for Rooney. I am sure Rooney wants to be judged on his own merits and his own performance and nothing else.

I don’t think anyone has been that harsh on Rooney either. I think many people have identified the good he has done but challenged him to do even better and win over those who doubt him. Rooney has been given a lot of sympathy and understanding over having to work through the off-the-field drama too.

For me, I think Rooney has done a good job but can he do even better? Absolutely. And that has to be the aim, surely?

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Spanish said:

there's a sense that this is just a kick the can down the road situation until someone injects capital or we get relegated

Absolutely. There is a real sense of apathy around the club in this hinterland where nothing can happen or move on until the sale. Rooney did well to stand his ground and insist that no important players were sold in the transfer window, understanding that it was our only hope if we want to be playing Championship football. 

But if anyone was in any doubt, and it's hard to see how, the sale of younger players and the type of loans we have got in just show what dire straits we are in at the moment on and off the pitch.

With the greatest respect, and for all his spin about wanting them, I can't imagine top of Rooney's list was a player who can't get in Stoke's team and a player who can't get in Boro's. 

It all feels just like hanging on in there the best we can and hope for the best.

On 08/02/2021 at 17:36, Jourdan said:

Come on, Roy. Fans were calling for Cocu’s head in August 2019, notably around the time of that Forest game in the League Cup. Similarly he didn’t get any leeway at the start of the season either. Fans were right on his case early on.

Not that I am defending Cocu. As two of his most vocal detractors, we both know that he wasn’t right for us. I just think that people are dwelling on his time in charge too much and using it as a crutch for Rooney. I am sure Rooney wants to be judged on his own merits and his own performance and nothing else.

I don’t think anyone has been that harsh on Rooney either. I think many people have identified the good he has done but challenged him to do even better and win over those who doubt him. Rooney has been given a lot of sympathy and understanding over having to work through the off-the-field drama too.

For me, I think Rooney has done a good job but can he do even better? Absolutely. And that has to be the aim, surely?

Only a few donuts on here said about Cocu after the Forest game. A lot of fans were very sympathetic to the hand Cocu had been dealt. He was well supported throughout generally. 

If Rooney keeps us up, fantastic. He’ll be judged properly next year though. This year has been a car crash for so many reasons, it’d be too harsh on Rooney and too early to judge him on this seasons efforts. 

Archived