Derby County v Juventus, 1973

red fever

On 30/07/2010 at 23:30, red fever said:

Ajax v Derby

Clough could of had 3 Euro cups

In all honesty unlikely. Ajax were basically the backbone of the Dutch '74 team. Cruyff, Neeskens, Krol, Rep. Yup, we were cheated but I think beaten finalists is the best we could have expected.

That said, Gemmill sure did have a nack of doing something special against the Dutch so maybe?

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I was going through some paperwork today and a I found a long lost team postcard of that Juventus side which played at Derby  which has been signed by ten of them - nice item 

Did the ref sign it as well?

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I was going through some paperwork today and a I found a long lost team postcard of that Juventus side which played at Derby  which has been signed by ten of them - nice item 

Fabio Capello on there? could not back him when he was England manager cause of the 73 game.

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Come on then let’s see a picture of it 

4 hours ago, eddie said:

Did the ref sign it as well?

It was the home game, the ref was not corrupt for that one

4 hours ago, WHAT DO I GET said:

Fabio Capello on there? could not back him when he was England manager cause of the 73 game.

Probably - ten signatures 

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

Come on then let’s see a picture of it 

I will try after the weekend - ok I done it 

On 28/07/2010 at 17:49, Boycie said:

Yes, if our chairman hadn't of been a *****

I guess you are referring to Longson. It certainly was a turning point in the clubs history when Clough resigned. Just going on stuff I have read over the years, there are two sides to the story. Just a pity the chairman and manager couldn't have put their differences aside to the benefit of the club and fans. 

1 hour ago, Mick Harford said:

Remember sitting with Roger Davis after we'd played for the ex-Rams once and he was telling me about the match, said he'd just had enough of being fouled so he "f'ing did him"

No doubt about it that we were cheated out of it though.

I love Roger.

As a kid, there were 2 players who would always talk to me as I loitered around with my bottle of coke and bag of crisps in the Sportsman Club or players lounge. Roger and Ronnie Webster. Both super nice people.

Roy Mac was/is nice too. And Colin Boulton.

In fact I can't remember many knobs at all.

Which is nice.

1 hour ago, europia said:

I guess you are referring to Longson. It certainly was a turning point in the clubs history when Clough resigned. Just going on stuff I have read over the years, there are two sides to the story. Just a pity the chairman and manager couldn't have put their differences aside to the benefit of the club and fans. 

795D3C09-CE5C-46D9-8681-B258AE42DEDD.jpeg

5 hours ago, europia said:

My dad was involved to a lesser degree and you're absolutely right it was finely nuanced. 

These things are almost never clear cut and it's just romanticizing to blame one side  

Cloughie and Sam, if they were alive, would love a do over. Sadly, so would we  ?

5 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I love Roger.

As a kid, there were 2 players who would always talk to me as I loitered around with my bottle of coke and bag of crisps in the Sportsman Club or players lounge. Roger and Ronnie Webster. Both super nice people.

Roy Mac was/is nice too. And Colin Boulton.

In fact I can't remember many knobs at all.

Which is nice.

Roger Davies is a very nice bloke .  I see him at the kids football sometimes when I take my nephew to play.  Cloughie wasn't happy at all when he was sent off .  As he was walking off he told him he just cost him the European cup and he got fined a month's wages.  On receiving the fine he was a bit annoyed to find it had been increased without telling him and he thought he'd wind Clough and Taylor up that if the fine was a month's wages he'd been underpaid and they actually owed him money.  He came out with a three month fine instead .

Archived