We’ve got the 80th minutePlus Jitters

Ellafella

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

See I think we have a first 80 mins problem

We should have killed off a number of games where we were the better side and failed to get a second goal

This is true, we've never been a good side at holding on to results. The best thing to do is kill the game

Think the OP has a point, 2 deep holding mids isn’t helping us keep clean sheets and we’re struggling to score so I’d like to see bielik on his own (thorne role) with two runners slightly ahead of him in a middle 3 (i.e. knight and holmes or sibley). 

Sick of going one in front and making subs to play a back 5 with 2 cdm’s and inviting attacks for the last 15 minutes. Derby conceding late has become yhe safest bet in footy

34 minutes ago, BrudeRAM said:

Think the OP has a point, 2 deep holding mids isn’t helping us keep clean sheets and we’re struggling to score so I’d like to see bielik on his own (thorne role) with two runners slightly ahead of him in a middle 3 (i.e. knight and holmes or sibley). 

Sick of going one in front and making subs to play a back 5 with 2 cdm’s and inviting attacks for the last 15 minutes. Derby conceding late has become yhe safest bet in footy

Absolutely agree. Wise words.

4 hours ago, Ellafella said:

It’s a valid point not a backslap at Cocu so no need for brusque rudeness @CocuCrazyCocuMad.

Wazza’s pre-match yesterday said he wants the Players to be brave and take the option to go forward at every opportunity. That’s the aspiration but plenty of times we got on the point of delivery only to stop, turn back and re-cycle with it often ending up back at Marshall. The retention and re-cycle was a key tenet of Cocu’s: whilst it keeps the ball it allows the opposition to re-group and we lose the initiative. So, Wazza needs to de-programme this from the players’ mindset. Ie create the behaviour on the pitch. There’s still a lot of “hangover” from Cocu’s retain and recycle approach. It lets the opposition off the hook. 

I completely agree with you @Ellafella that the retain and recycle policy only serves to enable teams to get back in shape. However, the current alternative is what we see with Lawrence having a go and more often than not failing and then we are scrambling. If there was more cohesion, and bodies, further up the field, Lawrence may have options to pass forwards,  rather than go it alone. I acknowledge that Lawrence may do that regardless, but if other attacking players were selected and were brave enough to get forward we might see more of that attacking play we desperately need. Would 4-3-3 serve that better or leave us too exposed. Bielik might indeed be the key

6 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Disagree strongly. He’s on the payroll. He’s part of the Club management. He has the skills and experience. Why would you not draw on that - out of sheer inflexibility? Its all hands to the pumps not “sorry - that’s not part of my Job Description Wazza”. 

Its ok to disagree, strongly or otherwise. I think McClaren should just get on with the job he is being paid to do, which he was only appointed to a week ago.  Must have plenty to do you would think (including working on an Arabic dialect). If he hasn't, or if it is a case of everyone doing a bit of each others job, then the mess at Derby is a lot bigger than it seems. 

With regards to McClaren, still unsure why you and indeed so many hold this guy in such high stock.  I accept he is a good coach/man manager in a 'touchy feelly' kind of way, and about 20 years ago he was quite ground breaking in his techniques. But he is no manager, nor do I think he is any good tactically. He can only play it one way. I posted the other day why I can understand a good number worship him because he was a part of the enjoyable ride we had in 2013-15, but he inherited a very good team which he (perhaps more Simmo) allowed to be more adventurous with a decent CDM in place. But he failed on the big day at Wembley, both with his line up and tactics, and we lost to a 10 man team who were there for the taking.  Then when it got a bit tricky the next season with a few injuries, he brings in Bent and Ince who were unsuited to the way we were playing, and Mascarell (who was clearly not ready for action, but you could see he might become a very good footballer in the future). Of course he was losing interest at the time flashing his knickers at Mike Ashley.

The genius that is McClaren, is also known as the Wally with the Brolly. Not because he got soaked one night at Wembley, but because 18 months into a 4 year contract he was sacked for incompetence. Couldn't get a team consisting of Ferdinand, Terry, Neville, Cole x 2, Campbell, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Owen and Rooney to the Euros.  Had a spat with Beckham too to show who was boss, but had to run back to him when the dirty stuff was flicking off the fan. He also showed wonderful judgment having Max Clifford at his side (a good PR Guru in a 'touchy feelly' kind of way).

But 'he did well at Twente' they cry, which he did to be fair. He must have been speaking their language. But the rest of his time since the England debacle has been pretty poor stuff; lasting 9 months at Wolfsburg, 4 months at Forest, 12 months at Twente (second time), 9 months at Newcastle, 6 months at Derby (second time) and 10 months at QPR - leaving all the clubs going in the wrong direction. You would think that only Removal companies would be showing any interest in his career by now, but no Mel, who sacked him twice, thought he might be good in a more technical role. He's passed some exams you know.

Anyway, it is what it is. He'll be gone again within 12 months. Either failed again, or had his head turned by a bigger club needing a coach/manager/technical director/media whore. Just keep his bloody cheesy grin off my telly. Thats not a lot to ask is it?

Those stats tell a story really. If we were better at holding onto leads, we’d be safely into lower mid table. Sadly though, this is a team with no bottle. They make the 14/15 team look mentally strong! Sitting too deep after scoring a goal isn’t helping us either, but the defence collapses under even the slightest bit of pressure. It’s pathetic. That sort of mental weakness is exactly why we’re going to get relegated.

3 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Its ok to disagree, strongly or otherwise. I think McClaren should just get on with the job he is being paid to do, which he was only appointed to a week ago.  Must have plenty to do you would think (including working on an Arabic dialect). If he hasn't, or if it is a case of everyone doing a bit of each others job, then the mess at Derby is a lot bigger than it seems. 

With regards to McClaren, still unsure why you and indeed so many hold this guy in such high stock.  I accept he is a good coach/man manager in a 'touchy feelly' kind of way, and about 20 years ago he was quite ground breaking in his techniques. But he is no manager, nor do I think he is any good tactically. He can only play it one way. I posted the other day why I can understand a good number worship him because he was a part of the enjoyable ride we had in 2013-15, but he inherited a very good team which he (perhaps more Simmo) allowed to be more adventurous with a decent CDM in place. But he failed on the big day at Wembley, both with his line up and tactics, and we lost to a 10 man team who were there for the taking.  Then when it got a bit tricky the next season with a few injuries, he brings in Bent and Ince who were unsuited to the way we were playing, and Mascarell (who was clearly not ready for action, but you could see he might become a very good footballer in the future). Of course he was losing interest at the time flashing his knickers at Mike Ashley.

The genius that is McClaren, is also known as the Wally with the Brolly. Not because he got soaked one night at Wembley, but because 18 months into a 4 year contract he was sacked for incompetence. Couldn't get a team consisting of Ferdinand, Terry, Neville, Cole x 2, Campbell, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Owen and Rooney to the Euros.  Had a spat with Beckham too to show who was boss, but had to run back to him when the dirty stuff was flicking off the fan. He also showed wonderful judgment having Max Clifford at his side (a good PR Guru in a 'touchy feelly' kind of way).

But 'he did well at Twente' they cry, which he did to be fair. He must have been speaking their language. But the rest of his time since the England debacle has been pretty poor stuff; lasting 9 months at Wolfsburg, 4 months at Forest, 12 months at Twente (second time), 9 months at Newcastle, 6 months at Derby (second time) and 10 months at QPR - leaving all the clubs going in the wrong direction. You would think that only Removal companies would be showing any interest in his career by now, but no Mel, who sacked him twice, thought he might be good in a more technical role. He's passed some exams you know.

Anyway, it is what it is. He'll be gone again within 12 months. Either failed again, or had his head turned by a bigger club needing a coach/manager/technical director/media whore. Just keep his bloody cheesy grin off my telly. Thats not a lot to ask is it?

I’m just popping out to read this ^. I may be some time ...?

Archived