2001 Monolith

maxjam

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Is it worth watching for someone who isn't exactly a movie buff and has been born in a time when special effects have always been spectacular?

Give it a go yes. It’s confusing but way ahead of its time. A 1968 film made from a 1951 novel by Arthur c clarke. 

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Is it worth watching for someone who isn't exactly a movie buff and has been born in a time when special effects have always been spectacular?

I watched it years ago and had fond memories of it. 

I also watched it a few months ago with my 17yo and found it to be extremely tedious and dated.

There are a few classics I've watched that I guess you could say were very much of their time and arguably haven't aged well.  I would never say not to watch it, but imho if you've grown accustomed to more modern movies, superb special effects and faster paced storytelling you will definitely have to be in the right mindset before you sit down to watch it.

On 05/12/2020 at 14:56, Sith Happens said:

Never found 2001 enjoyable,  yeah special effects were ok but flippin boring.

Totally agree. I think it was one of the first times movie hype really took off. Press was full of stuff about how long each frame of the spaceship took to expose to hit the right contrast and futrure predictions etc. 

Being at the time a space freak and science fiction fan went on opening night. Seem to remember souvenir tickets or special programme.

Came out totally bored and disappointed.

The original book by the way was excellent and has not dated particularly badly. I mean the "The sentinel" not "A Space Odyssey"

On 05/12/2020 at 13:46, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

On 05/12/2020 at 14:36, Mr. P said:

Give it a go yes. It’s confusing but way ahead of its time. A 1968 film made from a 1951 novel by Arthur c clarke. 

On 05/12/2020 at 14:56, Sith Happens said:

Never found 2001 enjoyable,  yeah special effects were ok but flippin boring.

I'd recommend 2010, if you haven't seen it. Definitely more of a mainstream sci-fi film, with a quicker pace and helps answer some of the questions from 2001.

2001 was groundbreaking in so many ways but was slow and the end? WTF?

9 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I'd recommend 2010, if you haven't seen it. Definitely more of a mainstream sci-fi film, with a quicker pace and helps answer some of the questions from 2001.

2001 was groundbreaking in so many ways but was slow and the end? WTF?

I don't recall that much about it, but do recall it being better. 

On 05/12/2020 at 13:46, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The effects hold up. Seriously. It's a work of genius from that point of view. It's extremely unusual in terms of film structure and the difference from today is not the efects but the slow pacing. 

At the time it was a flop until it was unexpectedy picked up by the youth, who were quite trippy, and it fitted their mindset back then. Naturally you're all far too sensible nowadays. It doesn't make my top 10 scifi in terms of excitement but it is extremely thoughtful and part of everyone's education to become a more rounded and intellectual person to watch it through ?

I say go for it!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived