Starship and a Human city on Mars

Carl Sagan

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Why are they even bothering? They should probably just accept the fact that Elon beat them to the punch. Suck it up and just hire his network  

it would be like BT putting phone lines all over the country, and then another company putting a completely different set of phone lines all over the country. It’s a mess. How many satellites do we want up there?

Not quite phone lines, but since most ISPs use BT lines - Virgin Media did it pretty successfully. 

Obviously much easier than launching dozens of satellites. It is a measure of Elon can get some things right though.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

An interesting article about the uncontrolled proliferation of low-orbit satellites

https://www.theregister.com/2024/08/12/starlink_spacex_environment_review/

The video below plots the growth in space debris from 1957 through to 2015. Given the rate at which satellites and other space hardware have been deployed on the last decade, I'd say it's the tip of the iceberg.  

Looks as if Flight Five will be around the end of the month:

Were this a similar mission to Flight 4, no permission would be required from the FAA. The fact that we have to wait for a reasonable period indicates that the attempted catch by the launch tower chopsticks is still going ahead. 

Excitement guaranteed! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/08/2024 at 10:23, Comrade 86 said:

Ta for the reminder - know a few of the people in this, but still haven't got around to seeing it. 

Meanwhile, I published Robert Zubrin's new book last month, on Mars settlement, and there's a good in-depth review of it here, explaining why it's so important for Humanity. 

https://quillette.com/2024/09/03/life-on-mars-space-elon-musk-starship/ 

Still no news on the next Starship flight test. My suspicion is that SpaceX are getting 2 imminent crewed flights out of the way first (Polaris Dawn and Crew9) before turning their attention to the Starship. Plus they've been working round the clock at Starbase, Texas, on strengthening the launch tower to catch the booster when it returns. 

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Meanwhile, I published Robert Zubrin's new book last month, on Mars settlement, and there's a good in-depth review of it here, explaining why it's so important for Humanity. 

https://quillette.com/2024/09/03/life-on-mars-space-elon-musk-starship/ 

Looks like an interesting piece of speculative sci-fi. As the reviewer says " it’s irresponsible to hypothesise about tens of thousands of humans being safely born on Mars."

On 04/09/2024 at 09:27, Stive Pesley said:

Looks like an interesting piece of speculative sci-fi. As the reviewer says " it’s irresponsible to hypothesise about tens of thousands of humans being safely born on Mars."

It's true one of the key things we have to determine for the future of Humanity is at what level of gravity is it safe to be pregnant. I would build rotating space stations now (artificial gravity) to determine this with primate experiments. Pretty horrific, but what's the alternative? Maybe that's the rationale for this scene in ad astra (as I can't think of another one):

But something to always bear in mind, is that technological progress never happens in isolation. As one technology progresses, so do others. If it weren't for regulation we would be much closer than we are already to having artificial wombs. And think what an amazing, freeing technology that would be for women who are keen to use them. Already we can look after very premature large mammals, while the only reason we don't take human embryos further than we do now is regulatory. When it comes to a matter of survival or not, Martian scientists can bridge the gap and have artificial wombs in centrifuges (replicating Earth gravity), so there is a solution. Personally I would expect babies to be able to be brought to term in Martian gravity, but we won't know until we test. And it is probably the biggest blindspot  in Robert's book. But because a solution will be found, it isn't crucial to the argument.

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's true one of the key things we have to determine for the future of Humanity is at what level of gravity is it safe to be pregnant.

Zero.

Just think, with zero gravity after breastfeeding multiple babies, those fun bags wouldn’t droop down to their knees. 

Win/Win I say!

Starship has been ready for its next test flight since the start of August, but America's Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) say they won't be able to grant a licence until November:

Starship is the critical path for America's Artemis mission to return to the Moon, which is running out of time to be ready before Chinese taikonauts land there.

Then, whoever controls space controls the future of Humanity, and if this continues that will be China too. Congress has the power to step in on the grounds of vital national asset and infrastructure, so I hope senators are looking at doing that.

SpaceX must be REALLY frustrated and at the end of their tether to post this publicly. It's a big escalation.