Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 30/10/2020 at 13:01, Van Cone De Head said:

Hope Mel stays involved,I think it will be a sad day if he leaves.

I would say Mr Morris had a good go at getting the club promoted, and understandably there have been mistakes along the way. In the event we had reached the PL he would quite possibly have cashed in at some point. If this deal goes through, the chairman could well get his money back, along with a nice profit for his troubles. I'm not happy about great English clubs football becoming a play thing for wealthy Chinese, Arabs, Americans, Russians etc, but that's the world we live in. I personally feel that it dilutes the connection between genuine local fans and the clubs. I know I am in the minority and many supporters seem only interested in the prospect of big money coming in. It seems a bit like selling your soul to the devil. You can't ever buy it back.....

8 minutes ago, europia said:

I would say Mr Morris had a good go at getting the club promoted, and understandably there have been mistakes along the way. In the event we had reached the PL he would quite possibly have cashed in at some point. If this deal goes through, the chairman could well get his money back, along with a nice profit for his troubles. I'm not happy about great English clubs football becoming a play thing for wealthy Chinese, Arabs, Americans, Russians etc, but that's the world we live in. I personally feel that it dilutes the connection between genuine local fans and the clubs. I know I am in the minority and many supporters seem only interested in the prospect of big money coming in. It seems a bit like selling your soul to the devil. You can't ever buy it back.....

Agree, not an ideal situation ?

20 minutes ago, europia said:

I'm not happy about great English clubs football becoming a play thing for wealthy Chinese, Arabs, Americans, Russians etc, but that's the world we live in.

English football clubs have always been a plaything for the wealthy. Just that it's not just the English who buy them now!

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

English football clubs have always been a plaything for the wealthy. Just that it's not just the English who buy them now!

Yes Roy, football clubs have always had owners, and generally a prerequisite is having enabling funds. Personally I was thinking of the likes of local guys Lionel Pickering, Mr Morris as opposed to Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan from Abu Dhabi.  Other than being mega wealthy, I don't see the attraction of someone totally disconnected to our club or indeed English football. Maybe others see no distinction. Everyone entitled to their opinion. 

3 minutes ago, europia said:

Personally I was thinking of the likes of local guys Lionel Pickering, Mr Morris as opposed to Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan from Abu Dhabi. 

I have little financially in common with any of them. Nor do I probably have politically. So that just leaves who they support. What does that matter where they are from?!

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I have little financially in common with any of them. Nor do I probably have politically. So that just leaves who they support. What does that matter where they are from?!

I can't tell you who Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan supports. Maybe he is a lifelong Rams fan. Maybe not....

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

? But that could be said of many countries 'local' indigenous (aka poor) populations. Still, it's their country. What's your take on a Yankee takeover, Trump might be looking for a new toy?! ?

'Make Derby Great Again' oversized baseball caps

'We have a great team...the best players...a lot of people are saying that right now. And y'know, I think they're right. And a great owner too'

Screaming 'Fake News...You are the most terrible reporter' at Steve Nicholson when he points out we're still in the bottom 3

???

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I just wonder if the new guy “get’s” the emotional investment people put into being a follower of a club, I believe Mel Morris does, but I suppose there’s a shortage of billionaires in Derby Mel could sell to. 

This might put the tin hat on my time investment in football in general, we’ll see, but I’m not as enthusiastic about all this as some. 

9 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

'Make Derby Great Again' oversized baseball caps

'We have a great team...the best players...a lot of people are saying that right now. And y'know, I think they're right. And a great owner too'

Screaming 'Fake News...You are the most terrible reporter' at Steve Nicholson when he points out we're still in the bottom 3

???

Perhaps he could build his wall in front of our goal ?

Archived