v Reading (H) Match Thread

Day

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Excellent post, the bit I've quoted is the bit that always confuses me. I wonder if they're trying to prove something to themselves. Mac is the only Derby manager that's got us playing good football in my life time, of course he would be my go to example of what I'd like to see?  

I don't see how anyone can look back at what McClaren did here with anything other than fondness. Even his second spell we went on a huge winning spree and looked way better (got fired unjustly).

There’s the rub people can move on and look back with fondness ( I know I certainly do ) with balance and honesty too , perhaps being nearly 60 and seeing us win the title twice and have fantastic times has a bearing on how I rate macs time with us , brief , great to watch really enjoyed it but also ultimately failed in terms of getting promotion 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Archied said:

There’s the rub people can move on and look back with fondness ( I know I certainly do ) with balance and honesty too , perhaps being nearly 60 and seeing us win the title twice and have fantastic times has a bearing on how I rate macs time with us , brief , great to watch really enjoyed it but also ultimately failed in terms of getting promotion 

I'll just say I'm not really into creating online (or offline) enemies so,

I only pulled you up on your comment because I thought what Mac did was brilliant. I've not felt a buzz for games like that since Jim Smith. I can't see how it can be reflected upon badly. At the time I was constantly bickering against people calling him out and a daft part of me thought at the time "I'd love Pearson to come here and feck it up". As Pearson was one of the first names put forward by Mac critics. 

I get that it can be frustrating that Mac may be used as a stick to beat other managers with. I try to keep my nose out of all that. Same with Martin. You may have confused me with other posters but I'm not part of any brigade. I like Mac and Martin but I'm interested in the here and now. 

That's about it. I don't want to be in any clique or get in these feuds that go on between certain posters. 

I enjoy debate but mockery or nastiness or spite isn't fun. 

On to Preston!

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

People do seem to forget he took that Pearson mess to flirting with the play offs. 

I don't really know why that period is considered unsuccessful. The team had been messed with by Clement and Pearson by that point. I thought he did well? 

I guess Billy Davies should be the example really. Goes to show how important entertainment really is. 

Here’s an honest question, let’s say Mac stayed 4 /5 seasons ,played good football but never quite managed to get us over the line ,would there be calls to get rid and try someone new to get us over the line from fans ? Would the board feel they needed to let him go too? 

ex manager and players should be looked back on with fondness and respect , when they are used as a stick to beat the club ,new managers , new players with then expect to be pulled up and given a warts and all reply in the interests of balance against the romantic rose tinted stuff

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I'll just say I'm not really into creating online (or offline) enemies so,

I only pulled you up on your comment because I thought what Mac did was brilliant. I've not felt a buzz for games like that since Jim Smith. I can't see how it can be reflected upon badly. At the time I was constantly bickering against people calling him out and a daft part of me thought at the time "I'd love Pearson to come here and feck it up". As Pearson was one of the first names put forward by Mac critics. 

I get that it can be frustrating that Mac may be used as a stick to beat other managers with. I try to keep my nose out of all that. Same with Martin. You may have confused me with other posters but I'm not part of any brigade. I like Mac and Martin but I'm interested in the here and now. 

That's about it. I don't want to be in any clique or get in these feuds that go on between certain posters. 

I enjoy debate but mockery or nastiness or spite isn't fun. 

On to Preston!

Alpha , you will never make an enemy of me on a football forum by arguing opinion s , if you think I’m wrong then tell me so and I will do the same ,, it’s football mate and we are both Derby?

Just now, Archied said:

Alpha , you will never make an enemy of me on a football forum by arguing opinion s , if you think I’m wrong then tell me so and I will do the same ,, it’s football mate and we are both Derby?

Nice one Archied. Agreed

3 minutes ago, Archied said:

ex manager and players should be looked back on with fondness and respect , when they are used as a stick to beat the club ,new managers , new players with then expect to be pulled up and given a warts and all reply in the interests of balance against the romantic rose tinted stuff

Not as a stick but as a marker, to achieve at least as much! So when talking about players or managers who fans would like to see ‘emulated’ is it any surprise Mac1 and Martin crop up so often? No.

30 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not as a stick but as a marker, to achieve at least as much! So when talking about players or managers who fans would like to see ‘emulated’ is it any surprise Mac1 and Martin crop up so often? No.

That’s ok too roy ,the line that’s gets irritatingly crossed all the time is we need to get them back or never let them go ,jeez it was Tom ince the other day people want back ,,, managers and players have they’re time at clubs and move on sometimes they go on to be successful elsewhere and sometimes they don’t , for me it doesn’t have a bearing , Martin for instance might be great at Bristol ( hope he is for the bloke as I’ve enjoyed his time as a ram) but that does not ness mean he would have done great staying here ( maybe it’s time ,maybe new challenge he thrives on ) just the same as I won’t think he is a crap player if he doesn’t cut it at Bristol ,,, Derby offered what they thought was best for the club ,Martin looked for something he thought was better for him ,it’s football and a constant flux yet matin has been used as a stick to beat the club with even though nobody knows the financial in and outs

Archived