Duane Holmes, what is his best position?

Day

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Holmes?.........Under The Hammer?................just heard he's off to West Ham United............but no idea why!

Sorry and it's only Thursday!

19 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

On the pitch for kick off wearing a Derby County shirt and black and white adidas boots!

7 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

He starts in my Derby County team ahead of Lawrence, Waghorn and Bogle, if that helps, for his attitude and desire.

He's a great guy and a wonderful football player.

Just take your time, sit back, enjoy the Aberdeenshire sun, gather your thoughts and let us know in one post ?

2 minutes ago, David said:

Oops meant to press this one

2 minutes ago, Sage said:

Doggy

2 minutes ago, David said:

get out GIF

What?

He does all running up and down chasing the ball. Adds some bite.

Ratting is the term Grand Wizard Ramage used to use.

2 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

What's a 10, and how does that fit Cocu's philosophy?

Without detail it's just a number.

The attacking playmakers are sometimes called the "number 10" of the team, as they often wear the number 10 jersey. The attacking midfield playmaker will sit in a free role between the midfield and the forwards, either in the centre of the pitch or on either flank.

11 minutes ago, Curtains said:

The attacking playmakers are sometimes called the "number 10" of the team, as they often wear the number 10 jersey. The attacking midfield playmaker will sit in a free role between the midfield and the forwards, either in the centre of the pitch or on either flank.

In that case, I'd agree that's his best role.

Whether he's good enough or available enough to be a regular starter, if indeed Cocu went down that avenue, I'm yet to be persuaded.

BTW, I think that would be Sibley's position to lose.

Love Duane, every squad needs a player like him.

Position-wise, box to box midfielder...a fetcher and carrier & occasional goal threat. He doesnt have the quality of delivery to play right wing or the creativity/quality to play as an attacking midfielder in a 4-2-3-1. 

His best spell was post-Christmas when teams were still going at us & that in turn opened up space for Holmes to turn & drive at their back 4. He may find some joy next season against the (many) teams that try to press us high...quick one-two & away he goes. I did suspect he wouldn't be a starter but if we go 4-3-3 (i.e. Cocu's preferred formation) & get 2 quality wingers, Holmes would be an ideal link man & inject some much needed pace into the side.

I kind of see him a bit like the new Jamie Ward in terms of having a real hunger and being quite underrated (different style obviously).

Obviously, his natural best position is unfortunately Sibley's right now, however I think he'd do a decent job in any of the attacking half. Hopefully his injury has properly cleared and he finds some form. I just like the guy. It's also true that however high the hopes and potential of Sibley and Knight we're going to need Holmes over the coming season at times.

29 minutes ago, Curtains said:

He has some of the attributes of a 10 but is missing one crucial part of the role, assists and or goals. Some great names spring to mind, Zico, Platini, Bergkamp and of course Pele and Diego all of course on different levels but they all had goals and assists. Sibley is more of a 10 than Duane will ever be imho.

Can be skillful, tenacious in the tackle, nippy over a few yards, good eye for a neat pass and can beat a man. 

Doesn't score many, not got the power to be a winger, doesn't deliver enough killer passes. 

Needs to be central or wide coming into the middle. Not a striker.

Maybe a '10' playing off the striker ala Messi, or a central string-puller, playmaker ala Modric but he has got to be more consistent and deliver more goals, assists to get in the team. 

1 minute ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

He has some of the attributes of a 10 but is missing one crucial part of the role, assists and or goals. Some great names spring to mind, Zico, Platini, Bergkamp and of course Pele and Diego all of course on different levels but they all had goals and assists. Sibley is more of a 10 than Duane will ever be imho.

I agree but the question was what is his best position.

I think Messi is classed as a 10 

Probably the best ever .

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

As a starter? Any League one side he'd improve.

As a squad member for us he has value, can play a variety of roles reasonably well, but he's never really convinced me that our current level isn't the absolute limit of his talent, and even then on an ad hoc basis.

Maybe a good run without injury would change my mind, which he's struggled to achieve.

I’d be inclined to agree with that.

the problem he has that for all his fantastic bursts of pace, quick feet he lacks production, he’s simply not a goal threat in anyway shape or form, he’s hit the odd rocket but does anyone here think he’s capable of more than half a dozen goals from midfield.

hes too lightweight to play in a central two imo and despite what I would consider good attributes for a wide man, quick, nice touch, good feet doesn’t seem to be able to play it.

imo His best position is the one of the two runners ahead of a Holding mid.

his engine is fantastic and his main responsibility in that role would be to support both ends of the pitch, if u had a designated 3 (front man and two wingers) whos emphasis is to do the damage his Energy like bryson and hendrick before him would be a good fit.

problem is we have no wingers and just lost our main frontman lol

Central mid for me. His ability to drive the team forward and his tenacity means he’s a great asset to the squad. However for next season he’s not going to be a regular starter you wouldn’t have thought. Clever player but hasn’t stayed injury free for long enough to really nail down his position. 
The kind of player I’d hate to see leave but I’m not quite sure he fits in our first 11 right now. 

12 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I agree but the question was what is his best position.

I think Messi is classed as a 10 

Probably the best ever .

An 8 for me, box to box, he does the defensive side very well and can bring move the ball forward beating a man or two ready for a 10.  

As for Messi, I did not include Him in that list on purpose, is he a 9 ? a 10? A 7 as he prefers the righ wing ? He is just a genius, numero uno.

Box to box midfielder. High work rate, able to carry the ball, but also track back and help out. Right hand side of midfield in a 433. Not sure that formation gets the best out of the rest of the squad. But then again, I'm not sure what formation gets the best out of 6 or 7 centre mids.

Archived