Preseason 2020/21

RoyMac5

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

When would that be, have been? Another 'crock', if he hadn't gone off at L**ds Marriott wouldn't have got on and the rest as they say...

Bit harsh on him that. He was arguably our best player first half of this season. Was getting my player of the year vote until he got injured - which I believe was a broken leg. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Fair enough. Think he's a fairly ordinary player, little consistency - some of our youngsters look as exciting.

Can’t argue with the second part, they absolutely do. However, Holmes has a valuable role to play. He can cover 3 or 4 positions/roles in midfield and, as daft as it sounds, he seems to have a pretty infectious personality with that grin always on his face. Can’t underestimate that sort of thing. 

24 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Holmes on his day in unplayable, I’d be really disappointed if we let him go

Only problem is he doesn't have his day very often.

You can't play him on the wing though. You can tell from watching him that he doesn't want to play on the wing.

I'm not saying we don't need any signings.

I'm saying we probably have some of the answers at the club already and even experienced signings need time to bed in (even if they do fit).  What we do have is a core group of players well versed in what is expected from them from day one of the season and a pool of talent that could step up and supplement them.

Yes October is potentially rough but come through that and we could be set for a very good season.

48 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

By the time the young players came in to the side we were that far off the pace that we needed a miracle to get into the playoffs , another slow start and it will be midtable again, you need a good team from the start of the season its not a good idea to just hope that by the time it gets towards the end of the season they young players will have improved so much that we may get within 5 points of the play-offs if we are lucky.  Nothing wrong with spending money to compliment the youth, its deluded to think we can go up completely reliant on the younger players stepping up becuase some won't be good enough for this level, for every Sibley and bird they are plenty who won't be up to the level we need within the next year or the year after. Not saying we need to chuck money at it , just sign a couple of attackers  which may be on loan or on free transfers to ensure a squad is strong enough in the short term to compete at the top end of the league. Personally I will be very surprised if we don't sign atleast 1 new attacker.

'You can't win anything with kids' - 1995 ... Alan Hansen .... well he got that wrong didn’t he!!!!

Here's the post-match interview with Jack Marriott:

I thought both Marriott's attempts in the highlights reel were good efforts. He's absolutely my choice/hope to start this season as main striker and get games and goals under his belt. For me, his hold-up and link play is massively under appreciated and his finishing can be deadly. Very much a Bobby Davison style player. I also thought he looked chubby, but that's what pre-season is for!

Oh and a great attempt by Fozzy at the back post, and good to see all the team trying to move the ball quickly.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Here's the post-match interview with Jack Marriott:

I thought both Marriott's attempts in the highlights reel were good efforts. He's absolutely my choice/hope to start this season as main striker and get games and goals under his belt. For me, his hold-up and link play is massively under appreciated and his finishing can be deadly. Very much a Bobby Davison style player. I also thought he looked chubby, but that's what pre-season is for!

Oh and a great attempt by Fozzy at the back post, and good to see all the team trying to move the ball quickly.

Got a feeling he’ll have a really good season and put the injuries behind him following the surgery. 

6 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Got a feeling he’ll have a really good season and put the injuries behind him following the surgery. 

Be great if he could but he has been so inconsistent that it's really hard to predict with any confidence that he will either in terms of form or fitness.

Interesting for Carl Sagan to suggest he has believes Jack has some hold up play in him too as I've personally seen nothing of it,his style of play doesn't lend itself to that aspect of the game but again,if it's there,it will be good to see it developed.

However, can still only see Marriott as a secondary striker to Waghorn and probably third choice should a new striker more suited to Cocus preferences in the number 9 role is brought in.

39 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

I am really optimistic that Marriott will come good this season.

I've said before I think he's the best natural finisher that we've had since the likes of Davison and Saunders. I also think there's more to his game than people give him credit for - he's set others up with some clever passing.

Listening to his interview, the niggly injury has clearly affected him mentally aswell as physically. Hopefully, that's now behind him.

I'd like to see a fast interplaying forward/attacking midfield of Marriott, Sibley, Lawrence, Rooney and ideally bring someone else in, to complement those, with pace and skill. COYR ?

27 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Be great if he could but he has been so inconsistent that it's really hard to predict with any confidence that he will either in terms of form or fitness.

Interesting for Carl Sagan to suggest he has believes Jack has some hold up play in him too as I've personally seen nothing of it,his style of play doesn't lend itself to that aspect of the game but again,if it's there,it will be good to see it developed.

However, can still only see Marriott as a secondary striker to Waghorn and probably third choice should a new striker more suited to Cocus preferences in the number 9 role is brought in.

I'm with Carl on this.

If Jack's injury is completely healed he will be the first striker on the team sheet and the divisions top scorer without a doubt. 

4 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I am really optimistic that Marriott will come good this season.

I've said before I think he's the best natural finisher that we've had since the likes of Davison and Saunders. I also think there's more to his game than people give him credit for - he's set others up with some clever passing.

Listening to his interview, the niggly injury has clearly affected him mentally aswell as physically. Hopefully, that's now behind him.

I'd like to see a fast interplaying forward/attacking midfield of Marriott, Sibley, Lawrence, Rooney and ideally bring someone else in, to complement those, with pace and skill. COYR ?

The EFL will try to charge us with something if we unleash Sibley and Marriott on the league.

A few people suggesting what we have isn’t good enough but it really depends on what we’re aiming for 

i suspect I’ve said it before on here but I’m not even bothered about going up (protective of my fragile self-esteem) and am happy to aim for mid table as long as we are sustainable and producing players 

No more signing unaffordable players and scraping 6th, the premier league is boring anyway 

Archived