RYRAM

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my plan:

Sell Bennett, Jozefzoon, Mitchell

Buy: New GK, New RW

Loan in: Clarke

And by loaning in Clarke, we don't have to buy a CB. So we can be allowed to spend more on a quality keeper and maybe even Harry Wilson, if Liverpool want to sell him back to the club that by far got the best out him.

20 minutes ago, Tiverton Ram said:

Here's my plan:

Sell Bennett, Jozefzoon, Mitchell

Buy: New GK, New RW

Loan in: Clarke

And by loaning in Clarke, we don't have to buy a CB. So we can be allowed to spend more on a quality keeper and maybe even Harry Wilson, if Liverpool want to sell him back to the club that by far got the best out him.

There's not a chance we'd be able to afford Wilson.

As always, it’ll depend on who’s available. If the best signing we can make in a certain position is a loan, then I don’t see why we wouldn’t go for it. In fact, loaning players is probably the best move if the long term strategy is bringing our own youth through - it means there’s no one on a long contract blocking their path to the first team when ready.

That said, I personally prefer to have our own players through the core of the team. By which I mean I don’t mind if the winger signing is a young player on loan from a top club who we have no chance of signing, but I’d prefer to see permanent transfers in goal, CB and ST. Or at the very least loans with a view to a permanent. Like Clarke for example, I wouldn’t mind him coming in on another loan as he’s a realistic transfer signing at the end of the season. Or that Steffen from City - he wouldn’t exactly come cheap and we’d likely need to be promoted to afford him, but he’s never going to get in City’s team past Ederson, so he’s another one you could realistically sign permanently. 

Whoever we end up signing mind, I’m sure with the bigger match day squads and 5 substitutions there will still be plenty of chances for young players to break through. Players like Brown, Hector-Ingram and Buchanan will be desperate to step up properly to the first team like Knight, Sibley and Bird have this season. And I’m sure there will be chances for them to do so.

4 minutes ago, Curtains said:

What’s the obsession with loans and the loan market.

We make a player better and then they leave like Mount ,Tomori , Wilson and now most likely Clarke. 

What’s the point !

I think it depends how good they are

Mount, Tomori and Wilson were light years ahead of the player quality we would have had otherwise - We wouldn't have been close to the top 6 last year without them

Clarke (for me) doesn't fit in that category - He's a little better than what we have otherwise but not by so much that it's worth loaning him again because (as you say) we see no long-term reward from it - I don't think he's a loan who's going to drag us over the line to promotion 

If we can get a loan who helps fire us to promotion then we should absolutely go for it - But having one who's just a little better or makes up part of the squad I don't see the point of paying a loan fee for

32 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Mount, Tomori and Wilson were light years ahead of the player quality we would have had otherwise - We wouldn't have been close to the top 6 last year without them

Clarke (for me) doesn't fit in that category - He's a little better than what we have otherwise but not by so much that it's worth loaning him again because (as you say) we see no long-term reward from it - I don't think he's a loan who's going to drag us over the line to promotion 

If we can get a loan who helps fire us to promotion then we should absolutely go for it - But having one who's just a little better or makes up part of the squad I don't see the point of paying a loan fee for

Who is better than Clarke at CB for us at the moment. 

New signing not included 

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Given who we have in the rest of the team, we need someone who's dominant in the air, as well as good on the ball.

Clarke is head and shoulders above the rest in our team and ranks well with the rest of the league. Out of every CB in the league (min 4 games)...

Headers won%
Clarke - 12th
Keogh - 17th
Bielik - 27th
Davies - 32nd
Forsyth - 37th
Evans - 89th
Wisdom - 92nd

Keogh will never play for us again, Bielik is still injured and will be out for a while, whilst Davies and Forsyth aren't suited to playing out from the back. You still think he's only "a little better" than what we have?

Two of the players we were linked with in January rank very well. Benkovic is top, whereas Carter-Vickers is 6th. That may tell you what we're looking for.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Who is better than Clarke at CB for us at the moment. 

No one

But that's far from being my point

I think almost every CB in the top 6 is better than him - And if we want to be a top 6 side we need players of that calibre - If we were to get Clarke on a permanent deal he might become that over a couple of years - But on loan for a single season I don't believe he will

I think we should be exploring the possibility of getting someone better

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Clarke is head and shoulders above the rest in our team and ranks well with the rest of the league. Out of every CB in the league (min 4 games)...

Does he? 12th is the kind of stat I'd be expecting from a good mid-table CB - If he's the 'dominant' CB in a pairing (because it generally tends to be one of the two who goes for all the headers)

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Two of the players we were linked with in January rank very well. Benkovic is top, whereas Carter-Vickers is 6th. That may tell you what we're looking for.

I'm not saying Clarke is a bad player by any means - I think he's good - But he's not a shade on (for recent example) Tomori

If we can get him permanently for a decent fee I genuinely believe he'll develop into a great player - But I don't believe he's a top-6 CB currently and that's what we need for next season

I just think we should aspire to someone better if we're going for another loan

30 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Given who we have in the rest of the team, we need someone who's dominant in the air, as well as good on the ball.

Headers won%
Clarke - 12th
Keogh - 17th
Bielik - 27th
Davies - 32nd
Forsyth - 37th
Evans - 89th
Wisdom - 92nd

Keogh will never play for us again, Bielik is still injured and will be out for a while, whilst Davies and Forsyth aren't suited to playing out from the back. You still think he's only "a little better" than what we have?

That is a very telling stat. 

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

No one

But that's far from being my point

I think almost every CB in the top 6 is better than him - And if we want to be a top 6 side we need players of that calibre - If we were to get Clarke on a permanent deal he might become that over a couple of years - But on loan for a single season I don't believe he will

I think we should be exploring the possibility of getting someone better

Does he? 12th is the kind of stat I'd be expecting from a good mid-table CB - If he's the 'dominant' CB in a pairing (because it generally tends to be one of the two who goes for all the headers)

I'm not saying Clarke is a bad player by any means - I think he's good - But he's not a shade on (for recent example) Tomori

If we can get him permanently for a decent fee I genuinely believe he'll develop into a great player - But I don't believe he's a top-6 CB currently and that's what we need for next season

I just think we should aspire to someone better if we're going for another loan

The only top 6 CB better in the air than Clarke is Bartley (10th). Others (in order) are: Benkovic, Tafazolli, Sibbick, Huntington, Jack Cooper, Roberts, Cameron, Hall, Lindsay, Carter-Vickers. 5 of those have played fewer than 10 games.

I think he'd cost too much to buy. Instead, i'd look into Naby Sarr who i believe will be available on a free, or Ben Davies, who isn't great in the air, would be an improvement on the other CBs we have and will be fairly cheap as he's entering the final year of his contract.

46 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Headers won%
Clarke - 12th
Keogh - 17th
Bielik - 27th
Davies - 32nd
Forsyth - 37th
Evans - 89th
Wisdom - 92nd

I missed a few players off the list and made a few rounding errors when ranking them. This is how they actually rank out of 109 to have started at least 4 games at CB (games started at CB only).

Headers won%
Clarke - 13th
Keogh - 19th
Bielik - 26th
Davies - 35th
Forsyth - 38th
Evans - 96th
Wisdom - 103rd

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

What’s the obsession with loans and the loan market.

We make a player better and then they leave like Mount ,Tomori , Wilson and now most likely Clarke. 

What’s the point !

You get to try some temporary poles, not just have to put up with the permanent pole Curtains.....?

38 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think he'd cost too much to buy. Instead, i'd look into Naby Sarr who i believe will be available on a free, or Ben Davies, who isn't great in the air, would be an improvement on the other CBs we have and will be fairly cheap as he's entering the final year of his contract.

I'm not averse to a new CB - In fact i'd be very pro getting another one - And this is my general point - I think we could find a better loan option and a cheaper, decent permanent option

6 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Thats right - now we wish we had one with slightly different finials.....!?

Are you insinuating there's something wrong with his knob? ?

(really hoping that pun gets through the appropriate conversation filters...)

Archived