Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

2 hours ago, Alph said:

Have you watched it yet?! 

I loved Deadpool 2 as much as the first so maybe the third was always going to be a winner for me. Although I didn’t expect to find it as funny as it’s still really just telling the same jokes and using cameos to kind of boost the effect.

The weakest part for me was the plot. I barely cared for it at all. I think that might have been intentional or maybe just an excuse to throw in various cameos and settings. I just found it such good fun. 

I’ve been a little bit intrigued by The Crow remake. But my God, it’s getting truly slaughtered. I don’t know how you mess up such a simple film. 

Not yet buddy. Having mentioned it on here (I think!) I've been re-watching Deadwood, which I've fallen in love with again. I honestly think it's one of the best written shows I've ever seen. McShane is absolutely stellar and the dialogue is brilliant. Give it a go if you've not seen it.

Returning to Deadpool, I think humour is really personal. What makes us laugh varies greatly, as it should, so I think there's no real good or bad (within reason!), just different. I'll probably have a look over the weekend. I loved the silliness of the first outing and this one sounds similar, so I'll probably enjoy that too.

As for The Crow, I loved the original and wasn't even aware there was a re-boot. I watched the original a couple of months back, by coincidence and it stacks up as well today as it did in 1994. I'll probably give the new one a swerve. As with most re-makes, it seems a bit unnecessary when the original ticked all the boxes anyway. 

EDIT: Just had a look... IMDB 4.9, Metascore 30, Rotten Tomatoes 19% 🤣 Kin 'ell!!!

Hard swerve then unless someone tells me it's better than its ratings!

Edited by Comrade 86

Wicked Little Letters.
Netflix

Olivia Coleman leading in a funny, sweary & touching comedy/drama about a search for the author of filthy poison pen letters being sent around a small town after WW1.

Thoroughly enjoyed this (more than expected, though I do love watching Olivia). 

8/10, you f******** S******* B******’s

Parasite (Sky Cinema, Korean subtitles)

David Langhan/10

When I signed up for Sky Sports, I was offered Sky Cinema and Paramount+ for £3, so I thought, why not?

I was delighted to see this was available as I've wanted to see it for ages with it winning the Oscar for best movie a few years ago.

It was good, but maybe not quite as good as I expected.

Very quirky and somewhat disturbing story about an entire family of 4 BSing their way into getting hired for different roles inside the house of a wealthy couple.

I struggle to get into the characters of subtitled movies quite as quickly because I spend so much time reading and not looking at them. With a series like Giommorah or Fauda, you have plenty of time, but it's harder in a two-hour film.

I *think* the acting was good and I wasn't disappointed with the ending, but wasn't quite as good as I expected. Still very worth a watch for anybody who likes black comedies. Actually, it probably isn't a black comedy, but I'm not sure how to categorise it and we did laugh a few times.

The Promised Land

An 18th century period drama which features the brilliant Mads Mikkelsen as an impoverished Danish ex-army Captain struggling to cultivate a plot of barren heath land in Jutland amidst much opposition from the local Nobility.

Jacob Laursen/10

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

The original is one of my top 10 films & I re-watched it with Miss Wolfie last night in preparation for taking her to see the sequel today.

So disappointing. So many plot threads. So chaotic. So much stuff going on but strangely also So boring.

4/10

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

The original is one of my top 10 films & I re-watched it with Miss Wolfie last night in preparation for taking her to see the sequel today.

So disappointing. So many plot threads. So chaotic. So much stuff going on but strangely also So boring.

4/10

I'd never seen the original and Mrs Chester kept banging on about seeing it...

Eventually watched it with the kids recently.... thought it was dated and boring tbh, sorry.

Rebel Ridge on Netflix, billed as action/thriller - it's neither. There's slowburn and there's sit for two hours waiting for something to happen. All been done before but better. 7.1 on imdb, 95% on rotten tomatoes so I must have watched a different film. Only action was when I went for a tiddle after an hour and the only thrilling thing was wondering if it had gone to the home screen by the time I got back.

Mick Coop/10 and that's insulting Mick.

5 hours ago, Baj said:

Rebel Ridge on Netflix, billed as action/thriller - it's neither. There's slowburn and there's sit for two hours waiting for something to happen. All been done before but better. 7.1 on imdb, 95% on rotten tomatoes so I must have watched a different film. Only action was when I went for a tiddle after an hour and the only thrilling thing was wondering if it had gone to the home screen by the time I got back.

Mick Coop/10 and that's insulting Mick.

I was going to watch this at the weekend due to the good reviews!

I couldn't find it yet so watched 'Blue Ruin' as it's by the same director.

I enjoyed it, kids less so.

Think its similar. Very average bloke on a vendetta. 

Goes for realism rather than flashy violence. Not saying its as good as Dead Men's Shoes, but its definitely in that same kind of non-hollywood vein.

His House (Netflix)

A new twist on a Haunted House horror film, with a refugee couple escaping Sudan and ending up in a run down house in a hostile UK town.

A slow burner but with effective tension-building abd a few scary bits. Not a bad debut for the Director.

6.5/10