Tech advice

Wolfie

Anyone know much about wifi range boosters/extenders?.

I have a basic Netgear extender currently but the signal keeps dropping and it's not very quick, so I want to upgrade.

Question:

Our router is in the Living room (at one end of the house) - with 5ghz speeds of about 300mbit/s. 2.4Ghz is about 30-40mbit/s

Is it worth getting a dual band extender?. I read somewhere that the 5ghz signal can't go through walls, so it's pointless shelling out for an extender that, by definition, is going to be in a different room and transmitting all over the house.

If a dual band booster receives a 2.4ghz signal, does it transmit a 5ghz one also?.

Any recommendations?. I don't want to spend a fortune but there are plenty on Amazon for less than £40

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought one that plugs into a socket and your router, using your electrical wiring to come out wherever you put the repeater.

Works perfectly to get WiFi right to the bottom of the garden.

Tp-Link.

IMG_20200325_110719.thumb.jpg.265ce50092a61198f69c63e000bf80e9.jpg

I used to use a plug in "wifi" that used house wires. Worked a treat, now I have a SAGEM thing provided by talktalk. works brilliantly through the house and most of the garden as well. Router is actually farthest point from the phone socket but I did spend a fortune on the cable to it.

3 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I bought one that plugs into a socket and your router, using your electrical wiring to come out wherever you put the repeater.

Works perfectly to get WiFi right to the bottom of the garden.

Thanks for that.

It appears to be seamless wifi?. My current one is a different network effectively, so my phone often stays with the crappy extender signal instead of jumping to the router when I'm in range and I have to manually change network in the phone settings.

3 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

Anyone know much about wifi range boosters/extenders?.

I have a basic Netgear extender currently but the signal keeps dropping and it's not very quick, so I want to upgrade.

Question:

Our router is in the Living room (at one end of the house) - with 5ghz speeds of about 300mbit/s. 2.4Ghz is about 30-40mbit/s

Is it worth getting a dual band extender?. I read somewhere that the 5ghz signal can't go through walls, so it's pointless shelling out for an extender that, by definition, is going to be in a different room and transmitting all over the house.

If a dual band booster receives a 2.4ghz signal, does it transmit a 5ghz one also?.

Any recommendations?. I don't want to spend a fortune but there are plenty on Amazon for less than £40

Typically an extender will half the bandwidth so you’ll get it but it won’t be very fast as it’s basically just relaying the signal. 

You may want to invest in a mesh network. It’ll cost a fair whack more but you’ll have seamless internet all over the house. Google make them, as do Netgear and others. 

7 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Thanks for that.

It appears to be seamless wifi?. My current one is a different network effectively, so my phone often stays with the crappy extender signal instead of jumping to the router when I'm in range and I have to manually change network in the phone settings.

Keep everything with the same network name and it’ll jump to the one that is strongest. 

mesh wifi Nova white cubes, these are good and cover the whole house, fair few devices connected and they always deliver good speed. We use them instead of Virgin Wifi which is shocking .

https://www.ebuyer.com/841843-tenda-mw3-nova-whole-home-wi-fi-mesh-router-system-3-pack-nova-mw3-3-pack-?mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=51482424779&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKCAjwguzzBRBiEiwAgU0FT3-m4N1vBZW7FNiqarMeaWiI53xj29telTUZq5mHAW57YOIA2C9o7BoC89kQAvD_BwE

On 25/03/2020 at 17:24, therealhantsram said:

Instead go for a mesh wifi system, or a powerline system. Or as I have done, both. I use the powerline connection as the back haul to the second node in my mesh wifi. 

What language is this Hants?

I put it into google translate and it didn't recognise it. Is it some Ancient Sumerian text?

On 25/03/2020 at 17:24, therealhantsram said:

Like @ThePrisoner says, avoid extenders. I tried them. Shockingly slow.

Instead go for a mesh wifi system, or a powerline system. Or as I have done, both. I use the powerline connection as the back haul to the second node in my mesh wifi. 

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

What language is this Hants?

I put it into google translate and it didn't recognise it. Is it some Ancient Sumerian text?

I recognise that.  Allow me to try to translate...

Something, something Combine Harvester, something give you the key.  Something something Bobby Stokes.  1976.  Wish it had been Derby.  Something something marching on.  

Hope that helps.

40 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I recognise that.  Allow me to try to translate...

Something, something Combine Harvester, something give you the key.  Something something Bobby Stokes.  1976.  Wish it had been Derby.  Something something marching on.  

Hope that helps.

you're something something in a Derby ambulance.........

Archived