Coronavirus

1of4

43 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I hadn't seen the big spike in cases over the last couple of days. With hospital numbers already close to the 1st wave levels, they are probably going to be under huge pressure soon. Hopefully the high infections are due to a higher proportion of younger people tested, students perhaps? You can see another big lockdown happening imminently, one more like the first perhaps.

I think Wales and Norn Ireland have shown whats in store for England in Jan. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

This doesn't sound good, although fortunately no evidence that the vaccination won't work against this new strain. I don't think we really want to contemplate that being the case.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/18/boris-johnson-calls-crisis-meeting-to-discuss-response-to-new-covid-strain

Just as worrying, no one seems to know how effective it is against the old strain. Or for how long. 

No doubt another so called lockdown on its way. Though all that does is kick the thing down the road. Think they'll just be trying to push it towards the spring and summer, like this year. 

7 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

This doesn't sound good, although fortunately no evidence that the vaccination won't work against this new strain. I don't think we really want to contemplate that being the case.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/18/boris-johnson-calls-crisis-meeting-to-discuss-response-to-new-covid-strain

Hopefully it's a bit overblown like the mink strain... A mutation to the virus could put us back a few months.... 

Rumours flying about that the AZ vaccine is likely to be approved next week with mass vaccinations beginning shortly after. 

Going to need them Nightingale hospitals in January.

Whether there are any staff left to staff them is another problem...

Local hospitals currently extremely full and I think it was something like half of all Trusts nationally are at 90% bed occupancy or more (which is unsafe).

43 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Going to need them Nightingale hospitals in January.

Whether there are any staff left to staff them is another problem...

Local hospitals currently extremely full and I think it was something like half of all Trusts nationally are at 90% bed occupancy or more (which is unsafe).

Haven’t you been reading this forum? It’s all lies, damn lies and statistics, scaremongering and over-reaction (according to some).

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Haven’t you been reading this forum? It’s all lies, damn lies and statistics, scaremongering and over-reaction (according to some).

Or we should just let em all die anyway, needy buggers...most of em who are dying are older than the average lifespan so sod em the selfish gits, youve had your time, just die wont ya, i want to go t'pub and t'footie, its simple...stay at home and lock yourself away if you want to live, no one else is bothered, i want t live my life, im fed up of it just so them selfish old, or ill buggers wont die...bloody cretins.

49 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

Or we should just let em all die anyway, needy buggers...most of em who are dying are older than the average lifespan so sod em the selfish gits, youve had your time, just die wont ya, i want to go t'pub and t'footie, its simple...stay at home and lock yourself away if you want to live, no one else is bothered, i want t live my life, im fed up of it just so them selfish old, or ill buggers wont die...bloody cretins.

Nailed it.

4 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Hopefully it's a bit overblown like the mink strain... A mutation to the virus could put us back a few months.... 

Rumours flying about that the AZ vaccine is likely to be approved next week with mass vaccinations beginning shortly after. 

And now theres reports that the Pfizer vaccine in use now will have run out of stocks here by end of January 

8 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

And now theres reports that the Pfizer vaccine in use now will have run out of stocks here by end of January 

I think that demonstrates more the need for multiple sources for vaccine.  Hopefully the oxford one gets approved so supply issues with one don't impact the rollout. 

4 hours ago, Sith Happens said:

Or, rather than the over simplified, deliberately dumbed down points, you could present the real case? The rate of deaths that'll be caused by lockdown stopping cancer treatment and trashing the economy.... I'm sure the people who's lifelong businesses are going to have to close are delighted to know that you think they're cretins.

4 hours ago, Sith Happens said:

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Agree with all those who have said it as well. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Or, rather than the over simplified, deliberately dumbed down points, you could present the real case? The rate of deaths that'll be caused by lockdown stopping cancer treatment and trashing the economy.... I'm sure the people who's lifelong businesses are going to have to close are delighted to know that you think they're cretins.

as someone who is clinically vulnerable and had to shield I don't appreciate reading posts that give a clear impression that people don't care if I die or not so long as they can get to the pub or match.

1 minute ago, Sith Happens said:

as someone who is clinically vulnerable and had to shield I don't appreciate reading posts that give a clear impression that people don't care if I die or not so long as they can get to the pub or match.

Who on here has said that? I equally don't appreciate it when you deliberately throw out a strawman when you damn well know that's not what is being said.

Just now, Andicis said:

Who on here has said that? I equally don't appreciate it when you deliberately throw out a strawman when you damn well know that's not what is being said.

of course it has, texasram himself just posted his agreement with the sentiment. 

anyway I wasn't saying businesses were cretins , you deliberately misread my post , I was suggesting people think us at risk folk are cretins for restricting their freedom. 

8 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

anyway I wasn't saying businesses were cretins , you deliberately misread my post , I was suggesting people think us at risk folk are cretins for restricting their freedom. 

Which is just completely untrue. When you deliberately remove any nuance from a discussion, you shouldn't be surprised when others do the same back to you. 

15 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

of course it has, texasram himself just posted his agreement with the sentiment. 

I said I agree that there is a lot of dodgy statistics and scaremongering that are leading to stupid restrictions in case you read it before incorrectly. 

Just now, Andicis said:

Which is just completely untrue. When you deliberately remove any nuance from a discussion, you shouldn't be surprised when others do the same back to you. 

My original post was clearly a bit tongue in cheek,  although there is an element of truth in it because as someone who is vulnerable I do genuinely believe people see us as a bit of a pain in the arse for restricting their freedom.

It is clear people do, or that's the impression they give, just look at texasram response. 

So excuse me for not liking what I read sometimes.

2 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

My original post was clearly a bit tongue in cheek,  although there is an element of truth in it because as someone who is vulnerable I do genuinely believe people see us as a bit of a pain in the arse for restricting their freedom.

It is clear people do, or that's the impression they give, just look at texasram response. 

So excuse me for not liking what I read sometimes.

Again read my last post 

Archived