Coronavirus

1of4

38 minutes ago, Eddie said:

My drug lifeline is made in Germany by Bayer, or by Johnson & Johnson in the USA. The alternative (and of course it's vastly cheaper in all honesty) is Warfarin, but I have had 3 blood clots even when taking that muck. Sooner or later one will have my number on it. Using a direct factor Xa inhibitor which Rivaroxaban is, I just have to take one tablet a day and don't even need blood tests.

I am lucky then

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

It's odd that, with justification it seems, much is being made of the WHO delays in confirming human to human transmissions of the virus, but very few posts on here acknowledge that most of the advice when it did arrive was ignored. The 'if we'd known earlier' argument is rather redundant when advice from the exact source being vilified is blatantly ignored when it does arrive. 

Didn't you get the memo. The WHO is the new EU.

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

Didn't you get the memo. The WHO is the new EU.

I'm kind of in the middle here as while I can understand that to a degree, the WHO would naturally be more inclined to accept reports from China than otherwise, I do think they should have responded more quickly and also taken third party reports (such as those from Taiwan) more seriously.

What I don't understand is how the likes of Trump can be beating them with a stick when he's ignored the bulk of the advice that was provided. If we need to look at the WHO's role in this, a notion I agree with, then some self-assessment is only fair too. 

It does rather seem that allowing politicians to filter advice and act independently of it is something of a conflict of interests.

10 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Can you give an example of any experienced decision makers that you want in powerful positions.

Also how you know they would have reacted any different based on the evidence that has been provided from the scientific/medical experts.

I'm assuming from this that you want 99% of world leaders replaced, along with the EU and WHO leaders?

Where I work, the CTO has had a long career in Tech, the CMO in marketing, the CFO in Finance. And the CEO used to be CMO and has had a long career in he same industry. I imagine this is similar across most companies.

Boris Johnson used to be a journalist. Michael Gove used to be a journalist. Rabb used to be in the Foreign Office (fair enough).  Pritti Patel worked in PR. Rishi Sunak worked in finance, which is probably why he is the only one that seems competent. Matt Hancock has never had any role within health.

18 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

That's Germany for you. efficient and prepared, some might say a little boring but they know what they are doing. I worked there late 90's and we were having lunch sat on a sturdy looking wall about 1m high which went all around the building hosting most of their servers.  I asked why it was put there as it clearly wasn't about decoration, someone told me it is in case somebody drove a lorry into the building. Back then there wasn't the terrorist threats there is now but they thought about it, business continuity is not a buzz word over there!

The backup/failover servers were hosted in another town...

Interesting perspective on the differences between Germany and Britain...

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/my-hope-more-boring-boris-juergen-maier-cbe

2 minutes ago, sage said:

What did Raab say?

Not a lot apart from he was getting his information from you and they will base any further decisions on the information supplied. although places like London cases are falling there are some places still rising. They don’t want to come out too early because we’ll end up with a second lock down. So to sum it up nothing new.

2 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Not a lot apart from he was getting his information from you and they will base any further decisions on the information supplied. although places like London cases are falling there are some places still rising. They don’t want to come out too early because we’ll end up with a second lock down. So to sum it up nothing new.

from me? he's not paying me so he can baalocks

9 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just a thought here.

In the ONS stats released on Monday, deaths were up 6000 on average of which only 3000 were Covid-19 related.

Is the lockdown causing as many non Covid-19 related deaths as the virus itself?

Or are the number of Covid-19 related deaths understated?

Is there an argument there for relaxing the lockdown asap?

I should imagine in half the cases, that covid19 was listed as a contributory factor to someone with serious other health problems which was given as the cause of death, and half were covid19, pure and simple.

13 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Interesting perspective on the differences between Germany and Britain...

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/my-hope-more-boring-boris-juergen-maier-cbe

It‘s quite strange because I saw somewhere that people in this country were more concerned about health and dealing with this pandemic and the economy came second, half  people in Germany were more concerned about what damage this pandemic will do to their economy.

Just now, Van Gritters said:

It‘s quite strange because I saw somewhere that people in this country were more concerned about health and dealing with this pandemic and the economy came second, half  people in Germany were more concerned about what damage this pandemic will do to their economy.

Perhaps because they knew the health side of things would be taken care of properly but with the inevitable hit to the economy?

More heavy casualties today. 

The numbers are still increasing. Derbyshire over 800 now. 
We can only imagine that the numbers would be much worse without lockdown. 

7 minutes ago, RamNut said:

More heavy casualties today. 

The numbers are still increasing. Derbyshire over 800 now. 
We can only imagine that the numbers would be much worse without lockdown. 

One strange statement from the briefing was from Sir Patrick Vallance he said the ONS death rates were people who had Covid on their death certificate and they may not necessarily have been tested for it. So is someone guessing?

31 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I should imagine in half the cases, that covid19 was listed as a contributory factor to someone with serious other health problems which was given as the cause of death, and half were covid19, pure and simple.

The figure that I gave is where Covid-19 is mentioned on the death certificate though, not the cause of death.

9 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

One strange statement from the briefing was from Sir Patrick Vallance he said the ONS death rates were people who had Covid on their death certificate and they may not necessarily have been tested for it. So is someone guessing?

Pretty sure he did say it was recorded where the doctors suspected that the patient had Covid-19.

Archived